3D prints, an emissary and progress on the Artisan’s contest dwarf
After vacation, a family visit and an involuntary temperature-induced hobby break, it’s about time for an update.
First of all, an expedition force spearheaded by a particularly vile individual by the name of Yzenor Anvilbrand has arrived on our shores (a while back I might add). I did not manage to document this earlier here, so thank you once again for the lovely miniatures along with the nice & unexpected emissary and letter @MichaelX! Yzenor is a fairly tall fellow but he will certainly find a new home in my force. I’m fairly impressed by the quality and level of detail of the prints. And no mould lines to scrape off! If there is a single argument for me to get a 3D printer in the future it would be this. I don’t think that Fabelzel’s miniatures mix particularly well with mine, so I am planning a Mordheim spin-off with them.
Work on the Artisan’s contest dwarf has continued. I decided to redo the hastily applied lacing on the armour and added arms, shoulder plates and a beard. @Admiral asked me to do a tutorial on how to do the armour which I will do in the future but not on this model as I had to figure out by myself how to do it. The whole project so far was a steep but invaluable learning experience as I was consciously doing multiple sculpting steps at once instead of ‘quick-saving’ all the time. This not only accelerated the whole thing but also made it easier in some places to get the desired results (the helmet tutorial mentioned above truly was a sculpting epiphany for me): doing the lacing together with the panoply armour plates (as on the shoulders) was a lot less frustrating than applying them to the already cured plates.
I also got some dollies from Michael, so I might contribute to the Brazen Bastards project in the future. However, after my contest dwarf is done, I want to focus on clearing out my WIP back log and work on a non-CD project I have planned for a long time, so no promises that this is going to happen this year.
I also moulded and did a few test casts of the hobgoblin sculpt but more on that later in a separate post on my casting blog.