[Archive] [06-25-2014] Chaosftw's Chaos Dwarf Blog

Chaosftw:

Howdy Everyone!

So after a lot of waiting I have FINALLY received my first shipment of Chaos Dwarfs!! I have been placing orders every 3 weeks that way I can get things to a playable standard before the next installment arrives.

So while I was waiting for all my models to start rolling in I decided to begin my Magma Cannons. I am using most of the parts from the Chaos Forge/Mauler Fiend from the 40K Range then a number of other things I have acquired to make it look how I want!

Here is an image of the parts I will be using from said kit:

A couple days ago I received my first shipment as I mentioned already and it was the Chaos Dwarf Warriors!

Here are the 20 that have not yet been given arms and heads:

Here are the 10 that are next up to be given arms and heads:

Here are the 10 that have already been given arms and heads:

I also received 2 full command sets:

Here is the assembled ones:

Here are the not so assembled ones:

Lastly I received what I plan on using as Daemonsmiths (as I am sure most do)

Here they are:

So this order totalled:

40x Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/ Hand Weapon and Shield

2x3 Chaos Dwarf Full Commands

3x Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmiths

I have not tossed anything on bases as I am still deciding how I want to attack that. I sort of want to go with a standard cork base but a part of me wants to do something a little different as this is my first and last fantasy army. (feel free to shoot me some ideas :D;) )

Thanks for looking! I will be updating again tomorrow with more progress!!

Cheers,

Chaosftw

Abecedar:

Cannot give you any real ideas or shoot you for that matter.    

You’ll just have to spend some time browsing all the galleries and see what you like the most.

How big will you be going with this army? because that will affect how much effort it will need to complete all the bases.  If its a real complicated type of base, you’ll then have to justify or accept the amount of time it will take to get what you want.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

There are plenty of awesome and cheap companies out there that make bases. I’d browse some of the different stores to see if you can find one you like, browse the ‘Showcase’ forum here, check out coolminiornot.com for ideas, and do searches for images of chaos dwarfs. Somewhere you’ll find something that appeals to you and how much work you want to put into your models. Much like your paint scheme, how you base your models depends a lot on your own skill, how much time and or money you want to spend on it, and what you like. I use cork for my Dark Elves and I don’t regret it at all but one of the locals at my LGS saw my Forgeworld models and said I had to get awesome bases for them. So I did (they aren’t expensive!) and I definitely did not have buyers remorse about it.

So here’s a question that only you can answer - are you just putting this army together as quickly as possible so you can play or are you planning on putting in some real effort? I’m so impressed with the bases I’ve seen, both mine but several others as well, that if you aren’t just throwing this army together, I’d definitely go with purchased resin bases.

Chaosftw:

Cannot give you any real ideas or shoot you for that matter.    

You'll just have to spend some time browsing all the galleries and see what you like the most.

How big will you be going with this army? because that will affect how much effort it will need to complete all the bases.  If its a real complicated type of base, you'll then have to justify or accept the amount of time it will take to get what you want.

Abecedar
There are plenty of awesome and cheap companies out there that make bases.  I'd browse some of the different stores to see if you can find one you like, browse the 'Showcase' forum here, check out coolminiornot.com for ideas, and do searches for images of chaos dwarfs.  Somewhere you'll find something that appeals to you and how much work you want to put into your models.  Much like your paint scheme, how you base your models depends a lot on your own skill, how much time and or money you want to spend on it, and what you like.  I use cork for my Dark Elves and I don't regret it at all but one of the locals at my LGS saw my Forgeworld models and said I *had* to get awesome bases for them.  So I did (they aren't expensive!) and I definitely did not have buyers remorse about it.

So here's a question that only you can answer - are you just putting this army together as quickly as possible so you can play or are you planning on putting in some real effort?  I'm so impressed with the bases I've seen, both mine but several others as well, that if you aren't just throwing this army together, I'd definitely go with purchased resin bases.

Grimbold Blackhammer
Thanks for the replies.

@Abecedar: I will be collecting these little monsters for ever so this army will be fairly large.

@Grim: I am the only guy at my local gaming store that plays the dwarfs so I will for sure be putting in as much time as it takes.

Any suggestions on basing sites? I'll start hunting around and see what I can find.

Chaosftw:

Well after a long Canada Day weekend I was hoping to get a lot done but with all the events planned, world cup, and not caring enough I didn’t!

Soooo here is what I did accomplish:

BASES!!!

So I started by using 2" thick cork and sticking it to bases

I think cut up 1/2" thick plastic card

I then began to hack up the previously cut plastic card… I was going for the broken tile look that someone else used (when I find your thread I will make sure to input name and link)

Here are the first few glued down down

I was not very happy how they turned out so I went back and edited a bit more and much happier with the way they came out…

and the final product after adding a little sand to the bases…

Back to the grind after work today. Im really hoping to have the filler pieces, and all the war machine bases complete and all bases primed tonight so I can get back to the actual models.

Until next time,

Chaosftw

Fuggit Khan:

Nice work on the stands. Looks like it was a lot of work and patience to get that many put together all at once.

They remind me of Skinks bases…are they based on his tutorial?

Anyways, again, nice work :hat off

Yodrin:

Seems like you put in a lot of time and work on those bases, but I think they look very good so far. LF to seeing some paint on those, Great job so far!!

Admiral:

That’s quite some work! They look good now and will look even better with minis and paint on them. :wink: