[Archive] [07.18.2009] Jaakko's blog - GH Entry

Jaakko:

I’ve been putting together some chaos dwarfs now for a while, and I thought I could share my work with you. I got very much inspiration from Tjub’s blog, so you’ll probably find my work kind of similar to his. This is not because I want to copy his work and find myself better than him. No, this is because I love his work and his style and wanted to try something similar myself!

Anyway, I had a few games with my incomplete 500-point force, and lost… I did find it quite dull to play with an unpainted/not-converted army so I started to work straight away. I will continue to update this thread with my work and progress, and I appreciate any kind of feedback, comments and/or constructive criticism.

Here are some pieces I’m working on so far:

Blunderbusses.

Chaos Dwarf Hero (bad quality, better picture when I have some more time).

And then some of my finished pieces:

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower.

Hobgoblins (shields and weapons not completely finished).

And finally:

a Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer.

Stay tuned for more stuff to come! I’m currently working on a Deathrocket and some Hobgoblin Wolfriders.

Jaakko

Zaramuskharaz:

Wooo… they’re looking good so far!

Good work on the bases!:cheers

the_rat:

I always liked Tjub’s stuff. It’ll be cool to see another take on the concept.

tjub:

This is kinda flatering… :slight_smile:

They look good so far! I think you should try something more with your hobgobbos, not just take the easy way out with a straight NG without the moon…

Big hats for the win! :wink:

Edit: Btw, where is your avatar from?

Swissdictator:

I absolutely love the basing!

How did you do the lava effect on the bolt thrower, and how did you paint the rock on the sorcerer?

furrie:

it looks good so far, I realy like the beards.

clam:

Great start. Very nice and clean colours - and as Swiss - I do love the base on the Sorcerer. Great work and keep it up!

Kera foehunter:

love the bolt thrower and bace !! nice sorcerer too

Schlanger:

Jaakko’s exploding the forum!:cheers

Jaakko:

Hehe, glad you guys like my work!

@tjub: My avatar is just some custom picture I threw together. A mechanical golem found via google and edited in paint/photoshop.

@Swissdictator: I always start off with greenstuff for the spots I want lava in. Then I start off with Mechrite Red, followed up by a lighter red (usually Blood Red), then moving to an orange colour (I’ve used Blazing Orange) followed by a somewhat lighter orange and after that a yellow. I usually blend some Skull White to the yellow and finally I highlight with pure Skull White for a nice glow-effect :smiley:

As for the sorcerer’s base… I just used a small piece of Styrofoam, undercoated it black, drybrushed with Codex Grey and finally highlighted it with Skull White. I used the same colours for the hot magma parts of the stone as I did for the lava effect on the Bolt Thrower.

And now the new stuff:

Hobgoblin Wolfriderz!

And once again heavily inspired by tjub:

The Deathrocket.

Working on a Bull Centaur for the next Golden Hat contest. I will also paint the Chaos Dwarf Hero ASAP and I will also start working on the Chaos Dwarf Warriors unit.

Until next time,

Jaakko

the_rat:

Details are hard to see, could you get some pics with better lighting? The lone rocket idea is cool, no launch effects though?

apocalypstia:

seems to be coming along nicely, details are lost in the darkness - maybe lighten them up in an image editor?

Jaakko:

I’ll post some better pics when I have time, kinda busy atm…

@the_rat: The rocket hasn’t been launched yet! :smiley: That’s why it looks so calm in the middle of the wasteland, surrounded by lava.

Kera foehunter:

I like your wolves you used and the rider are cool to

wallacer:

The detail on the beards is very crisp. I especially lke the lighting work on the bases. :hat off

Jaakko:

Sorry for all the bad quality pictures, I’ll try to make them better in the future.

Here are some pictures of my complete Deathrocket:

"A forgotten rocket still lies somewhere in the wasteland, only waiting for the day to be launched… For giving it more life, the slave who created this rocket gave it a face using coal and dust. The slave died shortly after the rocket was finished, but the rocket itself still remains in the middle of a wasteland…"

The idea came from a rocket which is used as the logo for the World of Warcraft database Wowhead… And no, I don’t play WoW (anymore)! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll paint my Chaos Dwarf Hero tomorrow, as well as continue on my riderz.

Jaakko

Kera foehunter:

that is greatly painted !!i love the face on it the lava bace is cool to

apocalypstia:

such a lonely little rocket… and yeah that face is too cute. I dont think the pics are as bad as you think they are… lol… but we can be our own worst critics.

the_rat:

Lolz, can you imagine that face coming down at you?  It’s grin says, “haha, gotcha!”

Jaakko:

Lolz, can you imagine that face coming down at you?  It's grin says, "haha, gotcha!"

the_rat
Haha, exactly! :hat off
I went through my bitzbox just a moment ago and found some interesting pieces... Maybe I'll be able to create something destructive! But that remains a secret for now... :D