[Archive] 1000 pt army for tourney

Da Crusha:

so this is a list that I am going to use at an upcoming tourney this saturday at the hobby shop. there are a couple of armies that will be there for sure, ogre kingdoms, empire and deamons of khorne. skaven and vampire counts are more than likely to be there. so here is my list:

Bull Centaur hero with great weapon, armour of gazrahk, gauntlets of bahzrakk the cruel

core:

10 cd warriors with H armour and shields great weapons

10 cd warriors with H armour and shields great weapons

10 naked hobgobbos

10 naked hobgobbos

10 naked hobgobbos

10 hobgobbo wolf riders with std and mus, light armour and shield

25 armoured hobgobbos with light armour and shield

Special:

4 bolt throwers

18 sneaky gits

rare:

5 bull centaurs with heavy armour shield and great weapons

999 points

the naked hobgobbo units or for redirecting and cannon fodder as well as negating ranks when they have the opportunity. I put the std on the hgwr unit so I can have a mobile std. please leave comments, thanks

Bolg:

Interesting list. there are a lot of hobgoblins in your list, my personal experience with the lads is less than optimal. the big Armoured unit I get but naked HG cant anything more than claim table quarters.

I like the 4 boltthrowers, they have provincial. but again the sneaky gits, thats 90 points of what could have been a death rocket or a well equipped hobgoblin hero. I’m not a experienced CD player so ignore my feedback. But do let me know hot the list played.

Loki:

I think that you need to bulk up the CD units, i would drop the great weapons in favour a command and more CDs, units of that size will just get picked off to easy even with the hobgoblins acting as a meat shield, also you have no magic defence if VC are going to be there you need to have at least one mage with some dispel scrolls.

If it was me i would drop the bull centaur hero in favour of a CD hero on foot to act as your army general, if you have the bull centaur as your general which you will have to do with this list he is going to be well out of range of most of your army as your going to want him smashing things in his unit not sitting at the back giving his leadership to hobgoblins.

Da Crusha:

thanks for the feedback guys.

Bolg: well I do have a lot of experience with chaos dwarfs but Im not good at winning with them…

Loki: well actually I WAS thinking about having the BC hero sitting around the back until I can use bait and switch tactics to get him charging into stuff. but even if I do switch him to a cd hero and get rid of the great weapons on the cd units I will only have 81 points to use and that can only buy me 9 CD’s and no command… here’s what it looks like now, where do you think I should take points from to get a lvl 1 scroll caddy (115pts)?

General:

CD hero with great weapon, armour of gazrahk, gauntlets of bahzrakk the cruel 114pts

core:

15 cd warriors with H armour shield 135pts

14 cd warriors with H armour shield 126pts

10 naked hobgobbos 20pts

10 naked hobgobbos 20 pts

10 naked hobgobbos 20pts

10 hobgobbo wolf riders with std and mus, light armour and shield 150pts

25 armoured hobgobbos with light armour and shield 100 pts

Special:

4 bolt throwers 120 pts

18 sneaky gits 90pts

rare:

5 bull centaurs with heavy armour shield and great weapons 105pts

1000 pts

Loki:

I would say drop the 25 armoured hobgobbos with light armour and shield 100 pts and 1 unit of the 10 naked hobgobbos 20 pts to get the level 1 wizard and also think about reducing the umber of wolf riders to 5 and see how that works at 5 they can still give you a good screen to protect the bull centaurs , and will give some points to play with as well.

Also with the gauntlets of bahzrakk the cruel drop these and take the magic sword that gives you +1 strength because you can be certain that you will roll some 1’s and be hitting your own unit and in such a small points game you can afford to lose any bull centaurs.

please remember this is only how i would do so you dont have to listen if you dont want to :slight_smile:

Bolg:

@ Loki, the wolf boys must be 10 strong, this is a RH list.

@Da Crusha I kinda agree with Loki but I would keep the armoured HG’s and drop the snaekys to get a sorcerer with a scroll

I like the greatweapon + gauntlets combi, but do you really need a S7 character?

I would prefer the armour of Furnace for the general, its a lower save but comes with a ward save of 5+ great against magic and high strength attacks. (and immune to fire, that is great against fire and metal spells). You can even keep the Gauntlets and give him S7 or S5 with handweapon+ shield.

Da Crusha:

Loki: ya I could get rid of the big unit of hobgobbos but right now they are the only thing that can give me the most amount of static combat res. also Im not too concerned with getting a scroll caddy because one of my main goals for the tourney is to beat the khorne deamon army, and thats the reason I need the S7 attacks, he always brings a herald on juggernaught with obsidian armour who’ll have 3 S6 and 2 S5 attacks with hatred and a 0+ armor save. thats the main guy I want to kill. so I want to make sure that I have something to deal with him…

Bolg: so thats why I need the S7 attacks. I cant wear armour of the furnace and carry the gauntlets because that would cost 65 pts.

also I like the sneaky gits cuz they can dish out a lot of attacks against bloodletters, who’ll likely rid the armoured hobgobbos of a save(6+ actually). I do like the second list better but I still really want to keep around the bull centaur hero. here’s the compromise…

General:

BC hero with great weapon, armour of gazrahk, gauntlets of bahzrakk the cruel 154pts

core:

10 naked hobgobbos 20pts

10 naked hobgobbos 20pts

10 naked hobgobbos 20pts

10 hobgobbo wolf riders with std and mus 130pts

25 armoured hobgobbos with light armour and shield 100 pts

Special:

3 bolt throwers 90pts

18 sneaky gits 90pts

rare:

5 bull centaurs with heavy armour shield and great weapons 105pts

999 pts

Bolg:

Ok I understand, this list looks good with that in mind.

dont forget to tell how it went.

Da Crusha:

hey guys, so today we played the game I did pretty well, I was happy with the way I used my army. the armies there were ogre kingdom, khorne deamons, 2 VCs, brettonia, a WoC and my CD’s. so the tourney started and I got a by because there was only 7 players so I got to scope out a lot of the other guys. my first game was against VC’s, so I wasn’t too thrilled by that, I deployed with my naked HG units in front and everything else behind. he was staying back and using invoc to make all his units larger. I of course was coming forward as quickly as possible, unfortunately the hg unit in front of my BC’s squabbled first turn so my Bc’s turned side ways and went to go around for next turn. well  I used some bait and flee tactics when we got to combat he tried to charge on several places and I chose flee so I could get the charge, or hold to get a counter charge. then his general on a flank of the unit exposed himself and got hacked up by my BC Hero and Bc’s, good thing he didnt challenge ;). well, That was pretty much the end of the game and I got full points.

my second game was against brettonia, his list was 2 units of knights one unit of bowmen and yeomen, and 2 damsels and BSB. first turn he advanced a lot on one flank and decided to neglect the other which I didn’t expect. then I put my hgwr unit at his flank and a naked hg unit to his front and then he charged the naked hgs and then decided to stay after he beat them, this knight unit had a ton of static combat res. (I should have chosen flee with the hg unit so that he wouldve landed in a nice place for me to counter but unfortunately I decided not to). then, my hgwr unit surged forward because of animosity and got off a premature charge, I wanted them to stay back and then do a double charge. he decided to stay again after they bounced off. due to a unit of naked hg kickinig so much butt in the center of the field against yoemen, I could’nt get them out of the way so my BC’s could do something so by Bc’s waited around for a while and then unfortunately they ended up getting charged by knights and got caught during pursuit, things went down hill from there but I didnt lose by too much, about 400 points. well I ended up taking 3rd. the standing went:

WoC

brettonia

Chaos Dwarfs

Khorne deamons

Vc’s

ogre’s

vc’s

the WoC army was really small and really fast punchy army but had no static combat res and had khorne all over it, I really thought that I was going to play against that army for my second game and I was really looking forward to it because Ive been doing a lot of research on frenzy (my other current army i play is a khorne warriors army)

Bolg:

Ah now I get how you use those naked HG’s: In front of CD’s when charged flee and then counter charge with the CD’s, does that work often? I hate standing behind animosity affected units myself.

Da Crusha:

well, It works if you put the unit right in front of his so that it is annoyingly close and make sure to have a something threatening to hit flank if he doesnt charge and overrun

Loki:

Great result well done glad those hobgoblins worked well for you mine just seem to fight them selves all the time :slight_smile:

Da Crusha:

thanks, yeah I never thought rolling the “get em” result would be bad but in this case it was.

Loki:

thats the problem with hobgoblins they never seem to do what you want them to do

Da Crusha:

just played this list this afternoon against the empire guy that was supposed to be at the tourney, I got a win 1600 to about 260