[Archive] 1500pt tourny what to take?

Triton:

As the title says I’ve got a 1500pt tourny in early March and I can’t decide what to take.

I’ve been using the boys for about year in Australian tournaments at the 2250pt but the drop to 1500pt is interesting.

I was thinking of taking

2 x level 2 each with dispell scroll (one to be general)

1 x Bull Centuar hero BSB with sword of might and Armour of Gaz

18 x CD warriors HW/Sh full commands with war banner

19 x CD warrios HW/SH full command

15 x CD warriors HW/SH/GW full command

2 x 15 Hobgoblins with LA/SH

2 x Bolt throwers

1 x Earth shaker

Which is about 1500pts any thoughts? This tournament will have composition in it so taking 4 bolties and 2 death rockets and an earth shaker won’t win me any friends:mad. cheers

Ubertechie:

Hi there,

I don’t know if you have access to all of the models below but I would go with something like this

2 * Lvl 2 Sorcerers with 2 - 3 scrolls between them

1 * Bull Centaur Hero, Armour of Gaz and great weapon

24 Warriors with full command and warbanner - 1 sorcerer (the general) goes in here - this unit forms the core of your battle line and the anvil

14 Blunderbusses with Standard - the other sorcerer goes in here

2 * 20 naked hobgoblins - used for distraction, setting up flank charges, baiting, taking out missile troops. fast cav, flank protection and generally frustrating your opponent

4 * Bolt Thrower

1 * 5 Bull Centaurs with heavy armour and full command - they form the hammer

The Bull Centaurs are more useful in my opinion in smaller games as there are less targets and the earth shaker (as with any template / scatter weapon) works best with more closely packed targets.

This list gives you a bit of everything that can all act as a cohesive whole - however you need to play with a list that suits your style as we all play in very different manners.

Your comp score shouldn’t get too hammered as you don’t have an Earthshaker or any DeathRockets.

hope that helps

cheers

ubertechie

qwe50:

No the first list is better - the shaker is important.

I’ll say

Sorcerer level 2 @125p

dispell scroll

Sorcerer level 2 @125p

dispell scroll

Bull Centuar hero BSB @175p

with sword of might and Armour of Gaz

24 x CD warriors @271p

HW/SH full commands with war banner

*BSB would likely be in this one

20 x CD warrios @210p

HW/SH full command

10 x CD warriors @90p

HW/SH

*Sorcerers unit

30 x Hobgoblins @60p

10 x Hobgoblins @20p

10 x Hobgoblin archers @50p

13 x Black Orc’s @200p

SH, Standard, musician

2 x Bolt throwers @60p

1 x Earth shaker @110p

A big unit with war banner and BSB, a big free dwarf unit, and a small one to hide the sorcerers (if they need to be in a unit) a big and small hobgob unit to block, weel, or stall, a unit archers to shoot fast cav or ranks of units, and a small unit black orc’s to have a unit who can fight (7 x front rank 6 x in second rank)

Triton:

Thanks for the ideas so far, I do like the idea of a smaller block of warriors to hide the sorcerer in depending on what I’m up against.

Against armies like deamons and wood elves I’m still concerned, I would probably castle in and whittle until making a move.

Swissdictator:

The earth shaker is a nice choice at that point size. Between it and the two throwers you can deal with the heavy hitters such as knights… but no other shooting (especially the lack of blunderbuss) balance that out.

I’m a fan of static res as, well, we need it badly. The Bull Centaur character can be killy, which helps, but you still should take all the soft res you can. So keep the warbanner and BSB. They help.

I’d drop the light armor on the hobgoblins: freeing up 30 points, then using those points add 10 hobgoblins (5 to each unit) to make it a nice 20 model unit. Hopefully I did my math right, I’m pretty sure I did. Those extra numbers, even with their stats, will be nice. Plus the shield is preferable over LA for Hw/Sh benefit. Personally, if you’re equipping Hobgoblins to fight, I’d rather field Orcs with shields. The better stats and choppa are worth the points.

At your point size I like a couple full size blocks, and while your original list has them a little smaller then I personally like… they’re ok. I wouldn’t make them smaller. I like a total (with character(s)) Unit Strength of 25. Having an “extra” rank has helped me many times… as the unit will be more durable.

I recently played in the same size tournament with my CD and had a blast (as did my opponents). I think your list won’t be complained about.

Triton:

At 1500pts is the problem of animosity make it more appealling to go with just CD’s. Even though 20 x sh hobbos are 60pts if I went for two units of them to act as flankers they normally just when you want to them to do something squabble.

I guess it’s just one of the joys of the army list :). Do you think a unit of 12 BBs is worth it?

Ubertechie:

At 1500pts is the problem of animosity make it more appealling to go with just CD's.  Even though 20 x sh hobbos are 60pts if I went for two units of them to act as flankers they normally just when you want to them to do something squabble.

I guess it's just one of the joys of the army list :).  Do you think a unit of 12 BBs is worth it?

Triton
Hobgoblins are always worth it - they are cheap - just use them as a distraction for your opponent - people seem to have an obsession with killing them which is what they are there for - the only good slave is a dead one after all.

I take my blunderbusses in units of 15 with a standard - that way they are have static combat res of 3 (2 ranks standard) - they are then useful not only as missile troops but can see of light to medium opposition (having blasted it twice) and are good flankers to boot - however thats another 46 points to find to upgrade them like that - you could drop the shields on the hobbos to get you 20 of them but i am not sure where you would get the other 26 points - so many choices, so few points.....

Xander:

Here’s what I came up with:

1500 Pts  -   Chaos Dwarfs Army

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero [In CDW]
     General; Great Weapon; Shield; Armour of the Furnace

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer [In CDBB]
     Magic Level 2; Dispel Scroll

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer [In CDBB]
     Magic Level 2; Dispel Scroll

1 Bull Centaur Hero  

Baggronor:

Eerm its 3 heroes at 1500pts Xander :slight_smile:

Other than that, wicked list!

If you drop the BC hero that will save enough points to bulk out the BBs more, or maybe even try to get a small units of Blorcs or something, assuming you actually had 4 heroes and it wasn’t a cut and paste error or something :stuck_out_tongue:

Triton:

Yeah I noticed that as well :). Also I didn’t think it was possible to have a BSB with a great weapon.

I do like the idea of 2 units of BB putting the wizards in them. Unless I play slaneesh !!!

Maul:

I think you will want a blunderbuss unit or two. I would drop the great weapons (Black Orcs are a better investment anyway). I am going to be honest I am not a fan of investing so heavily in magic. Our magic is good, but so many other armies do it better. I usually just go magic defense so I would go with a Chaos Dwarf Hero (enchanted shield and some magic weapon) and then a level 1 wizard load with scrolls. Save the points and put more models on the board.

This will give you ld 10 in the middle of the army. I like the set-up on the battle standard bearer, that is the way I usually build them.