[Archive] 1st Test with Tourney List...Advice Needed!

Gmaleron:

Well tested my tournament list out against our hated cousins yesterday and came up with a minor defeat, but it was a very close game with some really bad shinanigans that last two turns that ended up giving my opponent the win, my list can be found here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11071 Some of the highlights were:

-K’daai Destroyer…love this guy! He ended up killing around x60 Dwarf Warriors (his rune of challenge saved me accidently, if I had had charged his slayers they would have hit me on 4+'s all the time!!) over four rounds of combat (including a unit of Longbeards) and a Dwarf Lord but here is the kicker. 1 vs 1 against his BSB my Destroyer rolled 9 attacks for his frenzy, rolled seven 1’s (yes seven 1’s) out of 9 dice needing 3’s to hit, ended up losing combat by one which thanks to unstable means my destroyer died :(.

-His BSB then proceeded to take the charge of x6 Bull Centaurs and not only survive all there attacks (the few that hit anyway) and chased them down after I rolled three 1’s to run away… :(. But all was not lost as I still was ahead in victory points…until my level 4 miscasted on 4 dice and got sucked into the warp on the bottom of turn 6 :mad!!

Other then that bad luck I had the last few turns my army performed very well, my Magma Cannon never got to shoot thanks to him targeting it with all his quarrelers and grudge throwers turn 1 but the Blunderbuss horde ended up taking out over x15 slayers from a horde unit of x30 and proceeded to beat them down in combat, these things are awesome! However I do have some questions so if anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it!

Q1-Thinking of dropping the Bull Centaurs down to a unit ox either x3 or x4 and maybe getting another Magma Cannon or Death Shrieker, thoughts on this? Also am debating trading the x6 Bull Centaurs for x6 K’daai Fireborn.

Q2-Trying out the Lore of Hashut for only the third time and found the going very tough (expected vs dwarfs) but @ the same time noticed the short range was really hurting me as I could not support my Destroyer & Centaurs as effectively as I wanted. Am debating taking Lore of Metal or Fire so any insights into this really would be helpful to.

Also any other thoughts are comments are welcome guys and once again thank you for helping a new player starting out I really do appreciate it! :cheers

Gmaleron:

Well tested my tournament list out against our hated cousins yesterday and came up with a minor defeat, but it was a very close game with some really bad shinanigans that last two turns that ended up giving my opponent the win, my list can be found here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11071 Some of the highlights were:

-K’daai Destroyer…love this guy! He ended up killing around x60 Dwarf Warriors (his rune of challenge saved me accidently, if I had had charged his slayers they would have hit me on 4+'s all the time!!) over four rounds of combat (including a unit of Longbeards) and a Dwarf Lord but here is the kicker. 1 vs 1 against his BSB my Destroyer rolled 9 attacks for his frenzy, rolled seven 1’s (yes seven 1’s) out of 9 dice needing 3’s to hit, ended up losing combat by one which thanks to unstable means my destroyer died :(.

-His BSB then proceeded to take the charge of x6 Bull Centaurs and not only survive all there attacks (the few that hit anyway) and chased them down after I rolled three 1’s to run away… :(. But all was not lost as I still was ahead in victory points…until my level 4 miscasted on 4 dice and got sucked into the warp on the bottom of turn 6 :mad!!

Other then that bad luck I had the last few turns my army performed very well, my Magma Cannon never got to shoot thanks to him targeting it with all his quarrelers and grudge throwers turn 1 but the Blunderbuss horde ended up taking out over x15 slayers from a horde unit of x30 and proceeded to beat them down in combat, these things are awesome! However I do have some questions so if anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it!

Q1-Thinking of dropping the Bull Centaurs down to a unit ox either x3 or x4 and maybe getting another Magma Cannon or Death Shrieker, thoughts on this? Also am debating trading the x6 Bull Centaurs for x6 K’daai Fireborn.

Q2-Trying out the Lore of Hashut for only the third time and found the going very tough (expected vs dwarfs) but @ the same time noticed the short range was really hurting me as I could not support my Destroyer & Centaurs as effectively as I wanted. Am debating taking Lore of Metal or Fire so any insights into this really would be helpful to.

Also any other thoughts are comments are welcome guys and once again thank you for helping a new player starting out I really do appreciate it! :cheers

nilbog:

3 bull centaurs is usually enough. I’ve noticed that they do about the same as 5 bull centaurs, freeing up enough points for me to swap a deathshrieker for a hellcannon.

Lore of hashut is great if you get the spells. I always have a level 1 with fire just in case I can’t use any hashut spells.

MLP:

There was a good discussion recentrly on the merits of taking a level 4 with metal, should be easy enough to find.

If you’re struggling to support units with your prophet maybe give him a mount so he can be where you need him easily. Or a magic carpet!

Edit: Here’s the link on lore of metal http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11070

Gmaleron:

Thank you everyone for your help, unfortunately to many people showed up for the Fantasy Tournament today (the store it was @ is super tiny) and because of that me and a few players were told we could not participate (they basically took all the regulars and told everyone else sorry) so I was unable to play with this list, but I did get a few good games in this weekend against my brothers (used to be my) High Elves and plan on playing a few more later tomorrow @ a new gaming store. Will be sure to post these battles up here shortly!

Gmaleron:

Thank you everyone for your help, unfortunately to many people showed up for the Fantasy Tournament today (the store it was @ is super tiny) and because of that me and a few players were told we could not participate (they basically took all the regulars and told everyone else sorry) so I was unable to play with this list, but I did get a few good games in this weekend against my brothers (used to be my) High Elves and plan on playing a few more later tomorrow @ a new gaming store. Will be sure to post these battles up here shortly!

Baggronor:

1 vs 1 against his BSB my Destroyer rolled 9 attacks for his frenzy, rolled seven 1's (yes seven 1's) out of 9 dice needing 3's to hit, ended up losing combat by one which thanks to unstable means my destroyer died
Breath of Hatred dude, it's the way forward. Also, you say 1 vs 1? So he was alone? Thunderstomp? :)
until my level 4 miscasted on 4 dice and got sucked into the warp on the bottom of turn 6
I always take the Earthing Rod. You can't afford pie-plate miscasts on a 300pt+ Lv4 in a unit of 12pt infantry.

Baggronor:

1 vs 1 against his BSB my Destroyer rolled 9 attacks for his frenzy, rolled seven 1's (yes seven 1's) out of 9 dice needing 3's to hit, ended up losing combat by one which thanks to unstable means my destroyer died
Breath of Hatred dude, it's the way forward. Also, you say 1 vs 1? So he was alone? Thunderstomp? :)
until my level 4 miscasted on 4 dice and got sucked into the warp on the bottom of turn 6
I always take the Earthing Rod. You can't afford pie-plate miscasts on a 300pt+ Lv4 in a unit of 12pt infantry.

Gmaleron:

Baggronor
I did thunderstomp after, only rolled a 2 and he saved both....:mad
Have looked @ the earthing rod before but have found the dispel scroll to be much more useful, its save my bacon more then once.

Gmaleron:

Baggronor
I did thunderstomp after, only rolled a 2 and he saved both....:mad
Have looked @ the earthing rod before but have found the dispel scroll to be much more useful, its save my bacon more then once.

rpitts2004:

You have some bad luck my friend =D