[Archive] 2,000 points potential list

Geckilian:

So, with the ‘success’ of my Blood Bowl team I’ve been spurred on to start playing Warhammer once again with Chaos dwarfs, since I like the imagery, background and they’re not often seen. Here’s a potential list, bearing in mind I don’t feel like creating, or even using, Hobgoblin units for the time being.

Lord:

Chaos Dwarf Lord - 120

Black Hammer of Hashut - 45

Armour of the Furnace - 45

Shield - 3

= 213 points.

Heroes:

Chaos Dwarf Sorceror - 65

Level 2 - 35

Dispel Scroll - 25

= 125 points.

Level 2 - 35

= 100 points.

Core:

20 Chaos Dwarf Warriors - 180

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Full command - 30

Blunderbusses - 60

= 270 points.

Special:

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

Bolt Thrower

= 30 points.

Death Rocket

= 80 points.

Rare:

Earthshaker

= 110 points.

Earthshaker

= 110 points.

Total points = 1,998.

That list gives me 100 Chaos Dwarfs to soak up damage whilst two Sorcerors cause pain, along with 5 Bolt Throwers and a happy pair of Eathshakers, not to mention a Death Rocket for fun.

Any thoughts? Stuff that could be changed?

metro_gnome:

um… unpleasent…
2 ES at this point level is power gaming… 5 BT is bordering on…
however… the general lack of green makes this list bearable…

I’d drop the levels on your sorcerors… and bring one with 2 scrolls…
use the points to bring a CD hero w/ GW and armor of Gaz…
to act as general while the lord goes out and plays horsey…
I worry about this guy… he has absolutely no support…
if you think he can win combats on his own you are mistaken…
think of him as an expensive gyrocopter… that can break ranks and cause terror…

core is solid… if not optimum…
you can afford to leave a place in the units for the characters…
the BBs don’t really need the command… could be your 6th BT…

Geckilian:

while the lord goes out and plays horsey...
I worry about this guy... he has absolutely no support...
if you think he can win combats on his own you are mistaken...
think of him as an expensive gyrocopter... that can break ranks and cause terror...

metro_gnome
He's not on a Great Taurus, so how can he cause terror? He's on foot and would be in one of the Chaos Dwarf units. I'm sorry, I don't see how he's anything like a Gyrocopter at all.

As for 2 Earthshakers and 5 Bolt Throwers, I always envisioned Chaos Dwarfs as a barrage force, plus the Bolt Throwers are impressively cheap. Considering I have no fast units nor masses of cannon fodder, I figured this would be reasonable.

Thanks for the reply, I'll bear in mind dropping a Chaos Dwarf here and there for extra points.

Ubertechie:

Hi there

The issue with this list is that it is as slow as can be and will easily get out-maneuvered which equals isolated which equals flanked and destroyed.

The single most important phase in warhammer is the movement phase and you have handed this to your opponent. Whilst i realize the 2 ES will slow him down somewhat they are not a guarantee.

I would suggest the following

1: drop an ES for some bull centaurs (5 plus a Bull Centaur hero are a good unit) - this will allow you to create a large zone that your opponent wont put anything fast and light into (fast or heavy cav, skirmishers, flyers) - this menas you are already controlling their movement

2: Drop 2 units of CD warriors - replace 1 with blunderbusses and get at least 3 units of 20 Hobgblins or 1 and 2 units of Hobgoblin cavalry. Again this will help you control the movement phase and these can save your expensive dwarves from fanatics, distract frenzied troops and get in flank charges to support other units.

Doing the above will not only make the list more competitive it will mean you have a lot more fun as your previous list would be pretty dull to play with (well at least in my opinion :slight_smile: )

Cheers

Sousunou:

i would suggest a BC lord with armour of Gaz, gauntlets of Baz and a gw, i know its an eggs in one basket solution but put him in a unit (preferably of BCs) and you are away.

2 ES at this level is a bit risky, not to mention no fun to play against, or with for that matter, i would bench one to give you the needed rare choice and much needed movement.

and you have far too little shooting for my liking, but thats down to a personal preference brought about by playing elves for too long…:~

other than that, looks good :cheers

Geckilian:

Right, after a bit of thinking on these points, I’ve come up with the following list:

Lord:

Chaos Dwarf Lord - 120

Black Hammer of Hashut - 45

Armour of the Furnace - 45

Shield - 3

= 213 points.

Heroes:

Level 2 - 35

Dispel Scroll - 25

= 125 points.

Level 2 - 35

Chalice of Darkness - 50

= 150 points.

Core:

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Full command - 30

= 210 points.

Standard and Musician - 20

Blunderbusses - 60

= 260 points.

Standard and Musician - 20

Blunderbusses - 60

= 260 points.

23 Hobgoblins

= 46 points.

23 Hobgoblins

= 46 points.

10 Hobgoblins - 20

Wolves -90

Light armour - 10

Shields - 10

= 130 points.

Special:

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

2 Bolt Throwers

= 60 points.

Rare:

Earthshaker

= 110 points.

Total points = 2,000.

Basically, I added the Chalice to reduce enemy magic. Cutting a Chaos dwarf unit allowed me to upgrade another unit to have Blunderbusses, and I dropped the champions in both Blunderbuss units. Cutting an Earthshaker and the Death Rocket freed up points for 3 more Bolt Throwers as well as 2 blocks of 23 Hobgoblins as fodder and one unit of 10 Wolf-riding Hobgoblins replete with armour and shields for flank charges, luring, actually moving etc.

However, at 130 points the Wolf-riders seem kinda expensive. I mean, they could get another Earthshaker and 10 more Hobgoblins, or just 65 Hobgoblins… I could also change the Lord to a Sorceror Lord and give him the Chalice, which would make the points spent on Lords and Heroes 23 less, allowing for more Hobgoblins and a stronger offensive magic phase…

Any further thoughts? I’m not worried about alienating my friends with this list, they know me anyway and can come up with some focused lists of their own.

metro_gnome:

my apologies earlier… i thought you had taken a taurus…

you instead have chosen an even less effective lord choice…

your S. Lord idea… yeah go with that… but sans chalice…

the chalice is not particularly useful for magic defense… it rips dice from the common pools…

and the dispel pool is nearly always larger than the power dice pool… which is usually 2 dice…

so a roll of 3 for the chalice rips 3 DD while it can only ever rip 2 PD…

barring some obscure magic item that may have increased to opponents power pool somehow…

it can be used to effect for offensive magic… usually at low point levels…

but you list is certianly not up to that…

again… your BBs don’t need commands… your wolfboyz need a musician tho…

I’d use the other command points for more hobgrotz I suppose…

Zhatan the Black:

i see where people are comin from with the movement thing but u are dwarfs for petes sake normal dwarfs armies dont really have fast units and they own…

fair enough there slow but u get anywhere near them u just get punched in the face and die dwarfs units are like wall the dont move but things just bounce off em… personally i never take wolves in games over 500 points too many other nice units to choose from…

the only lists this is gonna struugle against are southlands and dark riders of death… but doesnt everyone ??

JUst remember you are a DWARF at the end of the day