[Archive] 2.4k list for tournament. now with small tournament report at the end

Mahtipakarat:

Hello, This is my current army I’m going to use on tournament 2-3.7 Here in Finland.

The tournament is heavily concentrated on the hobby side of warhammer rather than actual seriousness of battling. 30 points for whole tournament comes from fluff, army, conversions, painting and other things. and 50 points come from games themselves (5 games split on 2 days)

Comp restrictions were also quite severe.

-no unit over 450pts. or more than 40models.

-no more than 4 warmachines

-no more than 45 models with over 20" shootyweapon

-no more than 3 flying heroes and/or units

-no more than 2 same special or rare choises

-no more than 1 monster of the same type. (quite clever imo to stop double abos, hydras and such)

-no special characters or unitleaders

-no folding fortress

Also on magic you can use maximum of 4 dice to cast a spell

and some army specific ones that don’t concern me.

My list as it is.

Lords

Chaos dwarf warlord “Lord Barathrum”  480pts. (280pts. and 200 for mount)

Crown of command. Talisman of preservation, enchanted shield & Hellforged artifact Hand weapon

Greater daemonic construct 50pts.

winged taurus 50pts.

Unnatural resilience 50pts.

Flaming hide 10pts.

Colossal 20pts.

Great Horns 20pts.

490pts.

nice little stubborn ld10 beast that regenerates and has 2+ flameward that thunderstomps with S6

Heroes.

Chaos Dwarf Despot 147pts.

Battle standard bearer, Luckstone, Dragonhelm, shield, Sword of Striking & potion of strenght

will go with bigger unit of stormcallers to give them boost in combat, ultimately tries to follow the big angry bull to give him re-rolls if needed

Chaos dwarf sorcerer 145pts.

Lvl2. Dispel scroll & ironcurse icon.

metal.

Chaos dwarf sorcerer 165pts.

lvl2. Sivejir’s hex scroll.

metal.

I have never used metal lore on 8th edition, but I strongly think it’s more useful than fire

Core units.

Chaos Dwarf Stormcallers (22) 328pts.

Musician & Standard bearer. Chaos armour, Blunderbusses with Sappara.

Chaos Dwarf Stormcallers  (21) 314pts.

Musician & Standard bearer. Chaos armour, Blunderbusses with Sappara.

2 solid units of 4+armoursave, S4 dwarfs. And also possibility to shoot if enemy wants to play mean and not come to close combat -also a way to twindle the enemy if they are too eager to meet us in melee

Special units.

Hobgoblin wolf riders (10) 160pts.

Musician & Standard bearer. Hand weapon, shield & Light armour.

Something fast to keep up with my general. and to counter enemy fast cavalry to protect my warmachines.

Acolytes of hashut (10) 130pts.

Acolytes of hashut (10) 130pts.

2 small units of acolytes that depending on situation, give me boost for my magic offense and defense. Also Sorcerers are probably here, and these guys hide behind my stormcallers, and act as support.

Mortal Engine “Deathrocket#1” 80pts.

2 slaves. 1 chaos dwarf. Artillery. Death rockets.

Mortal Engine “Deathrocket#2” 80pts.

2 slaves. 1 chaos dwarf. Artillery. Death rockets.

First I wanted to have 3 machines with Infernal shells, but didn’t want to model new machines, so decided to adapt my list to this and took these. Now I’m quite happy with my choice since they are cheap and reliable.

Rare units.

Daemonic Engine 230pts.

Doomfire, Flaming hide, Ironclad & Diabolic Sentience

(S5(10) Flaming attacks & Blessing of hashut, 4+ armour save & re-roll scatter.)

well one Hellcannon beastie to devastate enemies with S5 flaming templates. Originally I wanted to take 2 but since comp say only 1 monster per type I can only field one.

11pts short of 2400.

So I ask you to give me an honest oppinion about my list.

I wanted to create a good list that is not too competitive and fun to play. Have I achieved this or failed miserably. And have I even made a illegal list in anyway be sure to point it out.

Thanks in advance :hat off.

-Mahtipakarat

on a side note i still have to write a fluff for my army. x.x

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the tournament is using Thommy H’s rules. also comment from the master behind the book would be much appreciated.

EDIT2: dropped biting blade and just kept the hellforged artifact handweapon.

Thommy H:

Hellforged artifact.
Which one is Hellforged? Remember that a Hellforged Artefact is actually an upgrade for a mundane piece of equipment, so he has to have Hellforged Chaos armour or a Hellforged hand weapon. And since he already has a magic weapon and magic armour, you can't actually do that. Just drop the Biting Blade or something to make it legal.

Other than that it all looks pretty solid to me - pretty much the kind of list I envisioned my book being used to create! Lots of solid blocks of infantry backed up by a big snarling Daemonic Engine and a little artillery. I'll be really interested to see how the Acolytes work out too, since I don't think any of the playtesters used them that much.

Mahtipakarat:

Hellforged artifact.
Which one is Hellforged? Remember that a Hellforged Artefact is actually an upgrade for a mundane piece of equipment, so he has to have Hellforged Chaos armour or a Hellforged hand weapon. And since he already has a magic weapon and magic armour, you can't actually do that. Just drop the Biting Blade or something to make it legal.

Thommy H
Oh blimey, I always envisioned the chaos armour to be hellforged but forgot the Enchanted shield, i'll have to think of a quick solution to this one.

EDIT: and thanks for comments. I think the Acolytes are going to work just perfectly. 260pts for +2PD and +2DP and small unit of dwarfs. What is there not to like :D.

Thommy H:

260pts for +2PD and +2DP and small unit of dwarfs.
Yeah, and that's probably pretty smart splitting them into small units like that to get the maximum benefit from your numbers. I never even thought of doing that! I think they'll be quite vulnerable though - even with their heavy armour and halberds, I doubt they'll stand up to much, and they'll be a big target for monsters and tough skirmishers. They'll be good bodyguard units for your Sorcerers though, which was the whole idea.

Mahtipakarat:

260pts for +2PD and +2DP and small unit of dwarfs.
Yeah, and that's probably pretty smart splitting them into small units like that to get the maximum benefit from your numbers. I never even thought of doing that! I think they'll be quite vulnerable though - even with their heavy armour and halberds, I doubt they'll stand up to much, and they'll be a big target for monsters and tough skirmishers. They'll be good bodyguard units for your Sorcerers though, which was the whole idea.

Thommy H
Yep, +1 to cast also, with free musicians. what more could you want from a bodyguard unit? maybe the ability to give everyone in 6" a fear or MR (2) maybe? Oh wait, they can do that as well! Well we will see more how they work after this tournament.

Lots of new things for me to try on this list.
-tauruslord
-metal magic
-small supporting units of dwarfs.
also no idea how cavalry works in 8th edition. I haven't even read to rules to that bit yet :D. Oh gosh it's been so long since I last played.

EDIT: figured out what I'll do with the extra 11 points. I'll probably add spears to the wolf riders.

Mahtipakarat:

I guess better late than never. The tournament went well for me.

1st game, against skavens that had:

warlord, in 40 stormvermins.

greyseer on foot.

2 warlocks

2x30 slaves

2x30 clanrats

2 mortars

2 warplightning cannons

6 ratogres

some gutter runners

game was dawn attack. Nothing horrible happened on the random deployment, but I just messed up my deployment the old fashioned way. I was so rusty on this game, it’s a real shame. My opponent basically wiped everything I had off the table.

Highlights include, 6 ratogres slaughtering 10 acolytes, then being charged to the front by my 10 wolfriders. The wolfriders whooped them and pursued, Only to bounce off from gutter runners the next turn :facepalm. then other nice thing was him skitterleaping his engineer next to my daemonic engine and feeding the orb to it. sending it back to the hells it was summoned.I only had my general on foot left at the end of round 6. He and my bsb tag teamed the only points i got. Result of game was 2-8 loss for me, so really well considering I only had 1 model on the table :D.

2nd game was against lizardmen. Blood and glory!

slann, 20ish templesaurus, 2x30 saurus hordes, 3salamanders, skinkpriest on foot, ancient stegadon, 2 or 3 units of skinks on foot.

This time i didn’t mess up the deployment, I was actually pretty scared of his huge DINOSAUR units. So I stood back and waited, and tried to minimize my losses. My Tauruslord worked brilliantly on this match. First he went and charged 10 skinks, Devoured them, Then overran on 3 salamanders, chomped them too… pursued them to 30 saurus ‘oh dear’… But 2 combat rounds later he went through them as well! that was pretty much my only success on that game and results were 3-7 loss for me. Another great game though.

3rd game versus empire. Battle for the pass, against the organizers of the tournament (we had uneven number of players)

their list was, general on griffon, master engineer, lvl3 wizard, 2 warrior priests (1 on foot, 1 mounted). 10 crossbowmen 30spearmen, 30 halbediers, mortar, great cannon, 2helblasters, 20 greatswords, 10 knights.

This match was drunken hammer at it’s best. Game started by him shooting at my general with cannon. Killing the mount with one shot. I replied by shooting his general with rockets and killing his mount. Then I sniped most of his warmachines with rest of my warmachines. he shot my stormcallers quite badly, so my bsb and general both went to other stormcallers to wait for the enemies… enemy knights with warrior priest killed my acolytes, deathrocket and weakened stormcallers. Then they were hacked to pieces by my general & bsb + stormcallers. Then 20 greatswords with priest were killed by my deathstar unit including general & bsb… Meanwhile my wolfriders killed mortar, engineer, helblaster and crossbowmen. Final moments of the game were one fight at the center with around 10 halbediers, 5ish spearmen, 10 dwarfs and 10 wolfriders. If I could have gotten 1 turn more I would have massacred them :). Really fun and bloody game, but still only 6-4 win for me.

2nd day and 4th round. Meeting engagement vs chaos.

He had, lvl 4 tzeentch sorcerer, lvl 2 tzeentch sorcerer, bsb,  30 marauders, 24 warriors of tzeentch, warshrine, 2x6 khorne knights, hellcannon. I deploy everything I have on the farthest corner possible and wait there. He starts by advancing and firing his hellcannon, Targets my daemonic engine, Misfire! big template with S10 all around. Rolls 1 on wound, and cannot fire the weapon the rest of the game. my turn, I make moves with my taurus lord, practice witchcraft and shoot. My daemonic engine shoots his hellcannon, Misfire! rolled result for Big template with S10. caused 2-3 wounds, cannon cannot fire the next turn! (thanks thommy for selling only the crappy guns to WoC <3). Well rest of the game goes pretty much like this. I kill his marauders with stormcallers and daemonic engine stomping them to ground. I kill one of his knight units with tauruslord, then go against the warrior unit with 3+ ward and 2 characters. Challenge, kill the champion, kill the bsb, almost kill the lvl4, but before the finishing blow he decides to meet his maker by miscasting and exploding with big template. My bsb and stormcallers pursue warshrine but fail to catch it. Last round of game. I have 20 stormcallers with bsb and general near vs 5 knights in the rear and warshrine to the front. I lose combat, Ld10 re-rollable breaktest comes to 12 and 11. Break and flee, he catches my dwarfs :mad. Still victory for me but again only 6-4.

5th and final match. against highelves

eaglerider, 2 eagles, 10-15 swordmasters, 10-15 wolfcloaked dudes, 15-20 seapatrol guys, 2x10 archers, 2mages, bsb with antimagic banner. lion chariot.

Every tactic I try backfires some way, I lose 8-2.

What I (re)learned from this tournament, is that. Wolfriders are awesome. 5wounded monster with 2+fireward and regeneration can be really hard to kill (on 4th game the chaos warrior block had firebanner, so when he gleefully declared that my regeneration wont work, I smiled back and said that then I’ll use my 2+ fireward). Also, skavens had firebanner on 40stormvermin, templeguard unit had firebanner, I think some empire unit had it as well, then highelf seapatrol had it too. I’m going to make another topic for the modified v2 of this list if you don’t mind.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention. I received 41 tournament points (22 from the army alone!) and was somewhere around the middle for scores. I won the fair award, and all in all it was a really good tournament and I will keep going there in the future.

:cheers

-Mahtipakarat.