[Archive] 2000 pt competitive Warriors with Dwarfs

fierymidgets:

Am I investing way to much in artillery fire power with the war machines and support casters.  Its 680 points of just that.

Warriors with Dwarves

Lords  405
Tzeentch lvl 4 lord on disc, tali of preservation (3+ ward with Tz), infernal puppet, charmed shield, 5 pt magic weapon just in case.

Heroes 190 pt
2 Daemonsmiths in the block of Infernal Guard on both sides

Core 672 pt
18 warriors of khorn with halberds and shields
17 warriors of khorn with halberds and shields

Special 260 pt
20 hand weapon and shield Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard standard,musician (allowing me to adjust the line and make sure the daemonsmith is in range of whatever Warmachine he wants)

Rare 490 pt
2 Magma Cannon
2 Death Shrieker

2000 Point exactly

The plan is to basically play defense and insure I don’t get flanked with the Warriors.  Chaos Dwarfs hold the center of the field with the daemonsmiths firing like crazy at anything in range.  Rockets will take on monsters and war machines and or mass infantry.  The magma Cannon will fire at anything in range.  I intend on being highly competitive magic, shooting, and combat phases of the game.  Please help me out.  I’m very new.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Until you include a Chaos Lord in your list, I’m afraid it is an illegal list. Sorry.

Grimbold Blackhammer

fierymidgets:

What do you think a Tzeetch lvl 4 lord is?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

What do you think a Tzeetch lvl 4 lord is?

fierymidgets
He is a Sorcerer Lord. Not a Chaos Lord.

Grimbold Blackhammer

ryanamandaanna:

The rules only state that you must have a general from the Warriors of Chaos list.  I’m fairly certain that his list is still very much legal. I think part of the concern behind that was that CDs have such high leadership when compared to the average WoC hero, they didn’t want an easy Ld boost…

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Unfortunately I know of no rule that allows us to ignore the single, base requirement of determining who will be an army’s General.

The list is, unfotunately, illegal.

Grimbold Blackhammer

ryanamandaanna:

Is there a reason that the Tzeentch sorcerer can’t be the general?  what am I missing?

lemme explain… no, there is too much, lemme sum up.  :D

The way I see it, the CDs are not even allowed to be looked at for the general pool, in accordance with their rules.  The WoC sorcerer is the only option and he, therefore, has the highest leadership and is the general.  Just like if you use any other special character who is not allowed to be a general-- you automatically leave them out of the pool, even if they have higher leadership.

fierymidgets:

Thank you for clearing that up.  I didn’t think that was going to be up for debate.  Then Grimbold Blackhammer made all these great points about how the list is illegal.  Now that the issue is cleared up could someone give me some tactical/ list building advice.  I’m still wondering if I’m investing to many points into artillery.

Now grimbold I have all the reference books that I need.  (tamurkhan, Warriors of chaos, Warhammer Rulebook)  If you’d like to cite where your imaginary rule is that makes this list illegal I’ll gladly pull my foot out of my mouth.  

In all seriousness I would prefer some advice on my build.

ryanamandaanna:

I think its a fairly strong list, but you are not taking advantage of some of the hard-hitters in a WoC army. your highest strength physical attack is 5, which may suffer against some high-toughness armies. This will rip through low-toughness horde armies, so it just depends on your opponent. :wink:

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Appologies if I wasn’t clear enough.

The army General is determined by which model in the army has the highest leadership. All Chaos Dwarf characters have a leadership value of 9 (or 10 in the case of a Sorcerer-Prophet). As a Chaos Dwarf is not allowed to be the army General in a Warriors of Chaos army, the only model in the Warriors of Chaos army with a leadership value of 9 is a Chaos Lord (barring special charcters of course). A Sorcerer Lord only has a leadership value of 8 so is ineligible to be the army’s General. No where that I’ve seen are we instructed to ignore this rule. This unfortunatley also means a Sorcerer-Prophet can never join a Warriors of Chaos army btw.

Grimbold Blackhammer

ryanamandaanna:

Is that universally believed to be the way that it works here? Page 186 explicitly states that Sorcerer Prophets can be included in WoC armies. I hate to disagree so much-- I’m typically not an arguer, but I am wholeheartedly opposed to that ruling. Where has this been discussed on the forum? The way I understand it, since CDs are ineligible to be generals, they are automatically not considered when it comes to picking a general.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Good find! I believe that one sentence trumps the basic rules. I see it unlikely that the designer meant a Sorcerer-Prophet only to be fielded in an army led by a Special character at any rate. Hmm, learned something new today… Which is good because I was about to edit my last post asking for an example of a character marked as unable to be the army General - I couldn’t think of any!

Sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction there.

Grimbold Blackhammer

fierymidgets:

K thanks ryan. Thats how I read it too. You make a interesting point about my strength not being high enough. I haven’t ran into any issues with my warriors block not killing pretty much anything they run into. 6 front rank is doing 24 attacks at strength 5 with my frenzy. What would you suggest I add?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

You’ve got a LOT of mages for only 2000 points. I assume the Deamonsmiths are only there to babysit the war machines so either drop a mage or lower both their levels to 1. Then use the spare points for some Chaos Warhounds to run as interceptors. With that much firepower, you have to know he’s coming to you!

Grimbold Blackhammer

ryanamandaanna:

Most stuff I imagine it will handle just fine-- I just know that Tomb Kings, for instance have a few T8 monsters that are incredibly difficult to crack. I was able to do so with a unit of Dragon Ogres with great weapons, but I also don’t want to detract from your current list…