[Archive] 2000 pt Tourney list for January... if they're finished

The Snowman:

There is a few major tourneys in Oz during January and I am looking to go to Cancon (in our nations capital), which is a 2000pt peer comp marked tournament over 3 days (8 games). If the army is completed in time This is the list I am looking at running. I have had a few games with it and am starting to get some results in later games.

Large blocks of infantry with high leadership to get stuck into Undead and Daemons.

Hopefully elves will be a little cautious with my shooting phase.

Magic defence is satisfactory and attack could keep a few armies on there toes, but be negated in others.

I am looking at this army to be a well rounded army to face all opponents. I am not looking to add more bolt throwers (they are cheap and great value but they will not win games, certainly swing things my way a little, but not win games.) Also looking to use the models that I am working on.

Comments??

1 Chaos Dwarf Lord Great Taurus
     Armour of the Furnace
     Black Hammer of Hashut

1 Bull Centaur Hero
     Battle Standard
     Sword of Might
     Armour of Gazrakh

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
     Magic Level 2
     Dispel Scroll

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
     Magic Level 2
     Black Gem of Gnar

17 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss w/Champion

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors FC

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors FC

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors Great Weapon

14 Hobgoblins

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

5 Bull Centaurs (Heavy Armour, Great Weapon)

1 Earthshaker

Casting Pool: 6
Dispel Pool: 4

Total Army Cost: 2000

My 2250 pt army is similar (same character setup) and I am trying to cut the fat for an effective force. Not many models in this one at all.

Also our local 3000pt tourney is coming up in February so I’ll be looking at adding to this core list (with more CD units and DOW) for that as well.

The Snowman

Auretious Taak:

Snowman,

I am in no fit mode of mind right now (tired as man) to give constructive feedback or consider that list at this moment, but what I can say is a group of gamers from the Tin Soldier in Sydney (where I am known as Stetch, just ask for Stretch to most of the staff especially Drew and they’ll know exactly whom you are referring to) headed to Cancon in Canberra last year, and probably will again this year. IF, and it’s a big IF, I can manage to borrow enough models for it, How about I take the following monstrosity down to Cancon for my first official tournament purely and simply for the s**ts and giggles aspect. I missed the 40k Sydney Grand Tournament last year due to not having the army made in time (a 1500pt list of Space Marines, all on foot totalling a full 90 models, 45 in scout armour, 45 in power armour - I can’t make near those numbers as effectively with the new codex so I am sad, though it is a list I made over two years ago) and have refused to go to a Conflict Tournament because then I will fall into that wonderfully arrogant GW presumption that moving from Conflict to a full blown tournament gave me the encouragement and confidence to move up in the world. The sarcasm button. Xander, where’s the sarcasm button!?! In short, stuff becoming one of those statistics and furthermore, I want to go into the tournament scene laughing my as off!

So the list:

Auretious Taak’s Slave Train of Awesome - 2000pts:

Chaos Dwarf Hero, Handweapon, GENERAL (Ld 10 woot) - 60pts.

Chaos Dwarf Hero, Handweapon, Heavy Armour, BSB, Banner of Slavery - 139pts.

10 Chaos Dwarves, Handweapon, Shield, Heavy Armour - 90pts.

765 Hobgoblins with Hand weapons - 1530pts.

Total points = 1,999pts.

NB: 1800 pts CORE = 90.05%

199 pts HEROES = 9.95%

Magic = 2.50% of total points cost.

On Army Selection scores, I Murder ALL!

Now we could rank those Hob Gobs in units of 30 or so and get close on 26 units (1 at 15 strong) around the 3 core CD units. But then again we could go for units of 10 and a few units of 11 for the uneven numbers and get a solid 76 units. lol. Hobgoblin unit sizes aside, the army would not be made of purely hobgoblins/BfSP gobbo’s et al, but instead be as the name suggests a slave train. All I need is painted models to represent the army, enough models from anywhere and everywhere - lizardmen, skaven, brettonians, empire, chaos marauders (in chains nubs!) - it really does not matter. All I’d need to rationalise it is a bunch of converted Hob Goblins with Whips to act as a slave master unit leader. Oh and 30 Chaos Dwarfs, a General and a BSB, but that’s easy.

797 models, a palandromic number, fantastic ain’t it?

Oh, so everything within 12 inches of the general and BSB is Ld 10 and re-rolls breaktests and the slave units re-roll psychology tests, at leadership 10. Now, I have 2 Dispel dice for magic protection and outside the 12 inch radius lots of stuff will run alot, but seriously, with 29-30 units (30 in the Slaves), if half the army breaks, I’m still stuck with close on 400 models, and 15 odd units. So magic? Who cares, the opponent has ALOT to blast his/her way through so who cares abouta  lack of magic, it just means I get to play a faster game which with all the movement I could do is really needed with these many models as I am sure a
shat’s will complain at the shear scale of the force. I could also in effect abuse many small units and in effect have so many small units in the way that the enemy, no matter how powerful the enemy are, they will simply NOT punch through the massed numbers, no matter how many they slaughter. 10 lines of 80 across would give me what a 4-5 round (me and the opponents as a round each so 2-3 turns, of camping and just whethering the slaughter. Who knows, If I am lucky, some of the slaves shall survive but who cares right?

The biggest hurdle is acquiring the models, it will also mean I will be painting the absolute crap out of so many goblins (I have alot myself probably can get close to 200 if a neural mate still has BfSP Gobs for trade/sale) I’ll go insane, but at the end of the day, who cares right?

I’ve not been to cancon before, is the list above leagal Snowman? Would you support such an awesome promotion of the Website and the army? I will be needing LOTS of models and that means BORROWING LOTS from whoever has models spare - I will of course take especial care of them. Hmmm, I shall have to build a good amount of movement trays also, THAT could be entertaining.

I am rambling, what say you?

Auretious Taak.

P.S. The only modifications to the list would be Heavy Armour and a shield to the General and Heavy Arnmour to the BSB a cost of 10pts in all IIRC, meaning 760 Hob Gobs, but the general and BSB are much more effective and survivable. lol, can you imagine a cannon army: “Alright lads, by the Emperor we are stuffed today but there are so many of the little gits we simply CANNOT MISS so fire away and let the chaps eat lead!” Tee Hee.

P.P.S. In effect, I won’t care if I lose every single battle, it could be a nice way to go for sportsmanship, lol, or at the least favoured army at the tourney or something, but in any case it will be fun. :slight_smile:

P.P.P.S. Ummm to my P.S., I just noticed I’d included the Heavy Armour on the BSB so I’d need 6pts only deducted so only 3 Hob Gobs not 5 but still.

P.P.P.P.S. The best thing about all the fodder is that if the enemy wants to kill the general and the BSB, especially if I have crap tonnes of small units, is that they have to get through everything else to kill them. Yes indirect firing weapons and cannonballs and stuff will annihilate them but at the same time the 100 VP Bonus for killing the BSB is only achieved if done in combat so youc an score the points for ‘capturing’ the standard, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.P.P.P.P.S. I am tempted I must say, to upgarde the warriors to Blunderbussmen and array them in single ranks purely because I can cover most of an enemy battle line in strength 3 hits on a 4+, lol, though I’d lose 45 Hob Gobs…Maybe one unit of BB’s and lose 15 Hob Gobs.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Have you ever seen so many rambling Post Scripts before?

The Snowman:

You would probably get some pretty good comp scores with that as you are leaving out some of the more effective units from the army list. Cancon is about having fun. I’ll find the link to the tournament package for you so you have all the info that I have…

http://www.freewebs.com/onlainari/canconplayerspack.pdf

I’m not sure if others are interested in looking at the players pack, just a small insight into how things are run in another part of the world.

Auretious Taak:

Hmmm, I’ve saved a copy and printed the guidelines out. Is there a limit to the players for WHFB? And when do we need to pay by? I shall have to enquire of people at Tinny in Sydney on Thursday after my exam if I remember, lol. :slight_smile: Like I said the issue will be getting the models, it doesn’t matter what models they are so long as they are on the standard smaller bases, and it doesn’t even matter about paint schemes as so long as the slave handlers in the units are the same colour I am set. :slight_smile: Have you confirmed we can play CD’s there also? 10:15pm I need sleep now, too tired to respond with anything more coherent. I blame Manta Ionut Alexandru, that Romanian has me up after I needed sleep curse him! I’ll look more seriously at stuff in 2 days after my final exam.

Auretious Taak.

The Snowman:

Yep, have received a confirmation email that allowed Chaos Dwarfs to the tourney. We had 82 players last year… I don’t expect there to be a set limit… The Holy Grail seems to be breaking the 100 mark, Cancon is massive and has heaps of other systems going on at the same time.

qwe50:

Looks alot like my list - a few things, i think you should take out the 10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors Great Weapons that 110p - get a shield for the lord, a BC more (they are best at 6) a war banner for one of the dwarf units and use rest of the points to add more dwarfs and hopgoblins oh and you should have more bolts - but i guiss army

When i look at the rules i am very surprised to the point difrence, you only have to win with 1000p to get 16-4 and the tourney is 50% battle 20% composion 20% sport and 10% paint now i don’t know the tournament scene where you play - but with 8 games all players where i come from would make a really beardy army and win there games as much as possible

1 Chaos Dwarf Lord Great Taurus

Armour of the Furnace

Black Hammer of Hashut

1 Bull Centaur Hero

Battle Standard

Sword of Might

Armour of Gazrakh

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Magic Level 2

Dispel Scroll

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Magic Level 2

Black Gem of Gnar

17 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss w/Champion

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors FC

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors FC

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors Great Weapon

14 Hobgoblins

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

5 Bull Centaurs (Heavy Armour, Great Weapon)

1 Earthshaker

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Total Army Cost: 2000

The Snowman:

And I guess that is where you run the gauntlet of comp. Do you forgo the 20% comp by making a cheese (beard) fest hoping to pick that up in battlepoints? remebering that battle is only 50% of total points…

qwe50:

If you are a nice guy and paint well (and get the same in sport and paint as others) you “only” leve out max 8*4 points = 32p - thats is not much you need to win with over 8 games and making a e.g maxed out skaven shooty army willl give you alot of very very big wins.

I think a point system like that is wrong - it also favour e.g defencive shooty armyes like dwarfs because you don’t need to win much to gain points.

skabradisdead:

Hey, Snowman… Might be in the Cancon pool myself…

Like the list… But as I am horrible at Fantasy I would not listen to me… :slight_smile: