[Archive] 2008 Alamo Indy GT

arsgrabba:

I bought most of my army about 10 years ago and have never played it. So this summer ,for some reason , I got the Idea to make myself paint everything by entering a tournament (perhaps the whispers of Hashut). I was shocked to find out that it was no longer sold by GW and that it was no longer allowed in the Grand tournaments, except for the indy GT’s.

So here it is, I had to submit my final army list today. I must say it was very helpful to read all of the great comments made by the members on this surprisingly impressive site.

Alamo Indy GT Nov. 8th&9th 2008

John Huntsinger

John Huntsinger

Lords Points

Chaos dwarf Lord 120

armor of furnace 45

hammer of hashut 45

magic shield 10

Great Taurus (mount) 230

Heroes

Bull Centaur hero 100

armor of gazrakh 30

great weapon 4

Chaos Dwarf hero 60

heavy armor 4

great weapon 4

Chaos Dwarf hero 60

heavy armor 4

great weapon 4

Core Troops

19x Chaos Dwarf 171

19x Chaos Dwarf 171

2x musicians 20

18x Chaos Dwarf 162

18x Blunderbusses 54

18x Hobgoblin 36

18x shields 18

10x Hobgoblin Archers 20

bows 30

10x Hobgoblin 20

Wolves 90

bows 30

Special

4x Bolt throwers 120

20x sneaky gits 100

Death Rocket 80

Rare

14x Bull Centaurs 280

heavy armor 14

Earth shaker 110

TOTAL 2246

Sorry no magic, I just couldn’t find another 65 points for a sorcerer. I am also guilty of fielding models because I just like the way they look.

Servius:

First thing… you should edit and resend your list before you get disqualified…

You can not combine Magic Armours in 7th edition. Page 121 of the warhammer 7th rulebook states under magic armour… that:

“If a Character wears magical armour, he cannot also wear an ordinary armour and, needless to say he can only wear one set of armour. Magical Shields and Helms are also counted as magical armour , so you cannot have a suit of magical armour and carry a magical shield or helm unless specifically stated in the description of the magic item.”

Also

“If a model is wearing a suit of magic armour he is allowed to carry a normal shield”

And on page 122 the description of the Enchanted Shield states:

"This can be combined with mundane armour…"

Sorry I missed your previous post…

Things i would consider you do after the tournament to try out…

First i could consider moving the Armour of the Furnace to your hero and the Armour of Gazrahk to the lord and giving the Bull Hero heavy armour. as the Hero and your Lord are both Leadership 10 make the hero the general. and on foot he should be pretty survivable. and if you loose the taurus its not that hard of a hit… as no 100 bonus to victory.

14 Bull Centaurs seems like a lot of them for the points… 10 is about my max… 6 or 7 would be good… but i see its your hammer unit. with your warriors being anvils… I could work… you will have problems against Vampire counts as you have no way to stop ANY of their overwhelming magic… High Elves & Daemons to a lesser degree.

On the Hobbos… Nice to see them… but they are small units they are like regular goblins… they should be large… also note they are super underpriced… your 3 points cheaper than a base human and only get -1 leadership and animosity which is good and bad. if you have more take them. I wouldnt take Hobbo Archers… the bows are more than them in points. and at 10 unit size expect to see them running away.

Sneaky Gits in my opinion are not the best choice i would rather up my Warriors to 23(24 with heroes) with their points and add some casualty soak to your blunderbuss unit… if you could get a second that would be great… remember they are Warriors too and can stand to non-elite block infantry well.

Thats all i really see…

Good luck at the tourny

Servius

arsgrabba:

All good points, thank you. I will make the shield change right away. I am a little limited as to what I can field due to the models that I have on hand, core troop rules etc. I plan to use my hobos as shields and possibly as flankers with my cd’s. With a little luck I can get the wolves on the opponents back row and harass. I am a little worried about my taurus being a large target and therefore no place to hide. I will have to get him into combat as soon as possible.

arsgrabba:

Chaos Dwarf Army revised list

Lords Points M WS BS S T W I A Ld

Chaos dwarf Lord 120 3 7 4 4 5 3 4 4 10

armor of gazrakh 30

hammer of hashut 45 +2

Great Taurus (mount) 230 6 5 0 6 5 4 3 4 6

Heroes

Bull Centaur hero 100 8 5 3 4 5 2 4 4 9

armor of furnace 45

great weapon 4 +2

Chaos Dwarf hero 60 3 6 4 4 4 2 3 3 10

heavy armor 4

great weapon 4 +2

Chaos Dwarf hero 60 3 6 4 4 4 2 3 3 10

heavy armor 4

great weapon 4 +2

Core Troops

38x Chaos Dwarf 342 3 4 3 3 4 1 2 1 9

2x musicians 20

18x Chaos Dwarf 162 3 4 3 3 4 1 2 1 9

18x Blunderbusses 54

20x Hobgoblin 40 4 3 3 3 3 1 2 1 6

20x shields 20

10x Hobgoblin Archers 20 4 3 3 3 3 1 2 1 6

bows 30

10x Hobgoblin 20 4 3 3 3 3 1 2 1 6

Wolves 90 9 3 0 3 3 1 3 1 3

bows 30

Special

4x Bolt throwers 120 7 3

20x sneaky gits 100 4 3 3 3 3 1 2 1 6

Death Rocket 80 7 3

Rare

14x Bull Centauers 280 8 4 3 4 4 1 3 2 9

heavy armor 14

Earth shaker 110 7 3

TOTAL 2242

Auretious Taak:

Drop one of teh Chaos Dwarf Heroes, for 68 pts, dropa few hob gob wolf riders a unit of 6 witha musician is how you field fast cavalry, so dropping 4 gives another 54 minus 10 = 44 plus the 68 = 112 pts.

Level 1 Sorcer = 65 pts. 2 Dispel Scrolls = 50 pts. = 115pts. For the extra 3 pts, drop 1 Hobgoblin with shield and you’re smack bang on the pts you had posted up.

wizuriel:

Drop one of teh Chaos Dwarf Heroes, for 68 pts, dropa  few hob gob wolf riders a unit of 6 witha musician is how you field fast cavalry, so dropping 4 gives another 54 minus 10 = 44 plus the 68 = 112 pts.

Level 1 Sorcer = 65 pts. 2 Dispel Scrolls = 50 pts. = 115pts. For the extra 3 pts, drop 1 Hobgoblin with shield and you're smack bang on the pts you had posted up.

Auretious Taak
wolfriders are actual min size 10. Though I would try and drop some points to put larm and shields on them. 4+ fast calv ftw. also wolf riders NEED a musician. that +1 ld is golden (unless your planning to have your bull centaur hero baby sit them?)

I would also change musicians to banners for the CD warriors, depending how your planning to field them. in a CD army espically if lead by a hero your already ld 10 so the only purpose of the musician would be to break ties.

sneaky gitz imo are kinda a blah unit

Servius:

Correct on the unit size… you may be incorrect on the Save to Fast Cav… I believe one of the erratas to the RH list listed a reprint to a 6th edition rule stating that if you had better than a 5+ you lost the fast cavalry rule… If i am correct then the errata would override the lack of such a rule in the 7th edition. again I could be incorrect and can’t check as the link is broken.

On Standards… I wouldn’t take too many, as to a good tournament player they simply become easy to get points… as they don’t even need to kill you to get 100 points from you. I have had games won against me because i took too many banners. I would never take more than 1 for every 750 points of list.

wolfriders are actual min size 10. Though I would try and drop some points to put larm and shields on them. 4+ fast calv ftw. also wolf riders NEED a musician. that +1 ld is golden (unless your planning to have your bull centaur hero baby sit them?)

I would also change musicians to banners for the CD warriors, depending how your planning to field them. in a CD army espically if lead by a hero your already ld 10 so the only purpose of the musician would be to break ties.

wizuriel

Auretious Taak:

Drop one of teh Chaos Dwarf Heroes, for 68 pts, dropa  few hob gob wolf riders a unit of 6 witha musician is how you field fast cavalry, so dropping 4 gives another 54 minus 10 = 44 plus the 68 = 112 pts.

Level 1 Sorcer = 65 pts. 2 Dispel Scrolls = 50 pts. = 115pts. For the extra 3 pts, drop 1 Hobgoblin with shield and you're smack bang on the pts you had posted up.

Auretious Taak

wizuriel
My bad on the wolf riders, I come from playing pure night goblins for years (undefeated with the last edition of the book, put off by the current one) and whilst I was a purist once ina while we played with normal goblins and Fast cavalry works the ebst ina unit of 6 we've found with a musician.

Servius's comments on Banners are interesting but then again, it's all about how good you can play the game to whether they are a liability or not.

To the Sneaky Gitz comment, I dunno, a unit of 40 in a single line will cost 200pts and give youa nice skirmish screen to engage multiple units ina first wave and do a whole heck of pain in 2 poisoned attacks each, who cares if they die, they are slave labour after all! ;)

But you still need a scroll caddy Sorcerer in there, that or take him with a chalice of darkness.

arsgrabba:

Thanks alot guys, I love hearing everyone’s viewpoint .I hope to use the sg’s as flankers for my cd core troops, and the same with the wolves for the BC unit. I also hope that spending all of my points on combat units instead of on magic that I will have an advantage in that area. Plus even though I like the sorcerer models, I think they are too weak in magic and not worth the points. I will try to kill their sorcerer’s before they get too many spells off, which at this point level may not be too much anyway. Here is a list of armies comming to the tournament, tell me what you think. http://www.alamogt.com/attendees.php

grupax:

why 38 warriors in a unit, if they aren’t stubborn or unbreakable it has almost no use.

they are just as easily beaten on a charge, they get “outnumbering-3ranks-and standard” same as a unit of 25 …

Auretious Taak:

why 38 warriors in a unit, if they aren't stubborn or unbreakable it has almost no use.

grupax
Look more closely, 2 musicians in same entry, so 2 units of 19.

qwe50:

Anyway he should write his list better

57 warriors

2xmuscian

3xchampion

1xstandard

how do that look ???

Write full and clear is you expect someone to use time to look and comment you list !

arsgrabba:

Try not to read too much into this list it is not divided into units per se. It is just a points list. Yes two units of 19 led by the cd heroes. The musicians because that’s the way it worked out because of the models I have . I have standard bearers but they may be a liability, so I left them out. Sorry if you were confused.

grunts:

Thanks alot guys, I love hearing everyone's viewpoint .I hope to use the sg's as flankers for my cd core troops, and the same with the wolves for the BC unit.  I also hope that spending all of my points on combat units instead of on magic that I will have an advantage in that area. Plus even though I like the sorcerer models, I think they are too weak in magic and not worth the points. I will try to kill their sorcerer's before they get too many spells off, which at this point level may not be too much anyway. Here is a list of armies comming to the tournament, tell me what you think.  http://www.alamogt.com/attendees.php

arsgrabba
Wow, just checked out the tournament and that is a heck of a lot of players!  Unfortunatley I see that composition doesn't affect your battle points, so there may be quite a few broken lists there (especially counting the number of dark elf players).  

I'm not sure if the idea of killing off the opponents wizards is going to work all that well.  Only your wolf riders or bull centaurs are fast enough to get into combat early enough, and you'd end up with your flanking unit or hammer unit cut off from your army and surrounded by the enemy.  It might kill off one wizard, but at what cost?

Good idea not taking standards. Gotta deny victory points. Though if one of your warrior units or the bull centaurs had a standard and the War Banner it increases the odds of winning close combat.

arsgrabba:

My CD lord also has a chance at an enemey sorcerer as he is a flyer that causes terror, so I plan to stick him in early. It’s really tough ,with the points allowed, to play everything that I want. I can also snipe with the earthshaker and death rocket if they are in sight.

grunts:

My CD lord also has a chance at an enemey sorcerer as he is a flyer that causes terror, so I plan to stick him in early. It's really tough ,with the points allowed, to play everything that I want. I can also snipe with the earthshaker and death rocket if they are in sight.

arsgrabba
oops...flying lord, missed that sorry.

arsgrabba:

Lord on a taurus is a big risk though, easy to shoot at and alot of points if lost.