[Archive] 2250 First List (Indy GT)

Dash Jovis:

Hello all.

So, I’m relatively new to fantasy, having played 40k for some time now, and have had difficulty settling on an army. I briefly tried Orcs and Goblins (for the hordes) before getting into the Empire and briefly looking at Dwarves (For the war machines… the Empire won because they had wizards) then seriously considered playing Warriors of Chaos before getting 1000 points of Dark Elves handed to me… Well, anyways, long story short, Chaos Dwarfs seem to be a godsend. Literally everything I was looking for in one package!

Anywho, here’s my first attempt at a Chaos Dwarf list using the Indy Gt list.

Lord

High Priest of Hashut (With the Obsidian Guard)

- Lore of Death

- Level 4 Wizard

- Axe of Ghorth

- Scale Mail of Ghazrak

Heroes

Daemonsmith (With Annihilators)

- 2 Dispel Scrolls

- Hailfire Gun

Great Horn Bull Centaur (With Bull Centaurs)

- Chaos Armour

- Enchanted Shield

- Dawnstone

- Biting Blade

Core

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors (5x5)

- Spears

- Shields

- Chaos Armour

- Full Command

- Eruption Gun

14 Chaos Dwarf Annihilators (5x3)

- Chaos Armour

- Shields

- Full Command

12 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (6x2)

- Bows

- Musician

31 Rabble (10x3 Horde)

- Task Master

- Bows

Special

9 Bull Centaurs (5x2)

- Chaos Armour

- Great Weapon

- Full Command

- The Shadow Standard of Hashut

14 Obsidian Guard (5x3)

- Great Axes

- Full Command

- Banner of Swiftness

- Ruby Ring of Ruin

Rare

Earthshaker Cannon

Earthshaker Cannon

Army Total �?" 2250

I was going for a fairly balanced army. The 2 Earth Shakers and Eruption Gun give some solid ranged firepower, to help soften enemies before they get to me, or slow down units I’ll need time to work on. The Earth Shakers should help me control the battle a little bit, particularly against hordes; I’m not so sure about the Eruption gun, but I want to model it. It seems kind of hit or miss to me, but Str 4 -2 to armour save could be pretty brutal. Btw, does anybody know if its -3 to armour due to the way Str modifies armour saves?

Also, I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing with my Bull Centaurs… they seem a little soft for their role. Heavy cav with 4+ saves? Thought about giving them shields, but I’m not sure if they get their parry save. Anybody have any hints to give me? Pick my battles with them I suppose… Shadow Standard is on them so that shooting doesn’t hurt them too much as they seem like a pretty juicy target.

I was planning on running the Annihilators in the flank, supporting the warriors as the Bull Centaurs work with the Rabble. Animosity might force me to be creative, but with only 2 units dealing with it I’m happy. Meanwhile, Obsidian Guard run up the center with High Priest, breaking lines and using bound Fireball and Death magic to pump out some more pain. Seems fluffy and viable, so I want to try it. The Daemonsmith has a couple of dispel scrolls for obnoxious spells, and the magical gun, just in case stand and shoot didn’t hurt enough. I’m hoping his daemon weapon and high stat-line will help the Annihilators when they get into combat. The Wolf Riders should be pretty straightforward, doing the fast cav thing; war machine hunting, march blocking, obnoxious shooting, and then maybe a flank or rear charge into a unit already locked up.

So, I guess I’ve yakked on for long enough. Any help you can give me, in terms of tactics or list, would be much appreciated.

JMR:

I'm not so sure about the Eruption gun, but I want to model it. It seems kind of hit or miss to me, but Str 4 -2 to armour save could be pretty brutal. Btw, does anybody know if its -3 to armour due to the way Str modifies armour saves?

Dash Jovis
As far as I know the strength is already included, so it's -2 total.
Also, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with my Bull Centaurs... they seem a little soft for their role. Heavy cav with 4+ saves?

Dash Jovis
They'll get an extra save due to being cavalry. So with Chaos Armour they'll have a 3+ saving throw.

Glimpse the Void:

I have to start by saying that I am just getting into chaos dwarves myself, so you should take everything I said with several grains of salt.

I really like the lore of death, but it is a little short ranged. With your amount of combat blocks, you may be interested in the lore of shadow to ensure melee goes the way you intend it to.

That being said, it’s easy to picture how soul blight + 2 earth shakers could work out nicely. I am thinking that I could use a Lamasu to place that soul blight over there entire army with irresistible force.

I don’t believe we can take more than one dispell scroll, but there is an item that you can use for extra dispel dice.

Don’t the centaur have a 3+ save with chaos armor? I picture this unit hurting something bad :slight_smile:

If you can throw a few more Anihilators into that unit (maybe 2 or 3), I think it will dramatically increase the odds of them being able to bust a cap at strength 5.

I am curious about your block of wolf riders, they just seem really expensive. Perhaps you have a specific role for them in mind, or I don’t know how people are using.

I am also thinking about rabble in the horde formation. I worry that they won’t cause enough damage to make horde formation worth it. A wider frontage may mean giving your opponent more attacks back, and really wreck your combat resolution. You will have to ask the community what they think, but I am starting to wonder if this unit would be better off as a meat shield with enough rows and models that they can not cause enough wounds to take it out.

I really like your inclusion of the Obsidian Guard. They are one of the units I am most excited about. Using the banner of swiftness here seems genius to me. I also like including the ring, I think I’ll have to borrow that idea. Do you worry about their survivability at 14 strong? A bad miscast result, or lucky round of shooting could potentially hobble this unit.

I apologize in advance if I have put forth in misinformation, or forced any undue criticism on your list. It looks like a lot of fun, and very similar to what I am considering for myself. I am excited to learn how all these things work myself.

Waste Rider:

It would be nice if you could take chaos armor on obsidian guard :frowning:

You could bolster that unit to something like 5x4, dropping an earthshaker and using the loose 25 or so points somewhere else.

BolgGorog:

14 Obsidian Guard (5x3)
- Great Axes
- Full Command
- Banner of Swiftness
- Ruby Ring of Ruin

Dash Jovis
Who will slip on the Ring? Just thought that only Heroes, Lords etc. can carry magical items.
12 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (6x2)
- Bows
- Musician

Dash Jovis
I would play the Wolf Riders with spears/musician and 2 x 6.
14 Chaos Dwarf Annihilators (5x3)
- Chaos Armour
- Shields
- Full Command

Dash Jovis
Nice: 3+ and 6+ save, most of my games I played 1 unit of 20 Annihilators with a wizard

I missed a BSB, just thing he is necessary  

But thats just my two cents. Play and have fun.