[Archive] 2250 list for Rock Con, with a question

Swissdictator:

This is slightly different then my post in the other forum (again, sorry for that).

Dwarf Lord

Shield, Armour of the Furnace, Black Hammer

Great Taurus

Chaos Dwarf Hero

BSB

Armor of Gazrakh

Talisman of Protection

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lvl 2

2 Scrolls

Staff of Sorcery

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors (BSB unit)

Banner, Mu

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

FC

Warbanner

20 Orc Boyz

FC

Shields, Big Uns

14 Blunderbuss

14 Blunderbuss

2 Bolt Throwers

Earthshaker

5 Bull Centaurs

Extra Hw

Heavy Armor

Musician.

I am thinking of dropping the Big Uns upgrade and adding 2 bolt throwers and another Bull Centaur… though I love The Big Uns being S4 with Choppas!

I’m also thinking of swapping the Bull Centaurs for an earth shaker. If I keep the Big Uns, I’ll drop a champ and that’ll make room for another bolt thrower for a total of 3.

So I’d do pro/con list of keeping the Big Uns upgrade

Pros for keeping the Big Uns upgrade:

WS4 S4 hits pretty nicely, especially when backed up by a choppa.

WS4 will make them a little tougher to kill off in combat, as it will mean a lot of troops will be hitting them on 4’s instead.

Even though I dropped a Bull Centaur, they’ll be only 120 pts making them a little less of a loss when I lose them.

Cons:

I’m light on shooting.

They are Orcses with animosity.

They’re pricier.

5 Bull Centaurs is good, but enh.

----

Pros to dropping the Big Uns upgrade:

Two more bolt throwers and another Bull Centaur.

Orcs almost 33% cheaper!

Practical to use the Orcs as fodder.

Cons:

Orcs won’t hit as hard.

— Dropping Bull Centaurs and Big Un Champ option —

Pros

Two Earthshakers are powerful, and if ones misfires and goes boom it is less of an issue.

Solid shooting allowing my units to have a better chance.

Cons:

Will opponents complain about two earthshakers (I assume to a degree)

Is the shooting over the top?

I lose a nice mobile unit that can butcher stuff.

So basically the options are:

A) Keep the list as presented.

B) Drop Big Uns to regular Orcs, gain 2 throwers and a BC

C) Drop Bull Centaurs (and champ on Big Uns), gain a bolt thrower and earth shaker.

What do you think?

Kinda want to get an idea of where I want to go so I can finish painting the Orcs, or 2nd Earth shaker if I need to.

A few notes before commenting:

I won’t have any sort of Hobgoblins ready in time, and I want to be fully painted. I have Wolf Riders, but I’m waiting for new chaos dogs to have them riding those instead. No sneaky gits for now either.

I can do Black Orcs, but I’d rather go Big Uns as they’ll be cheaper and while I may lose Armed to the Teeth, I will go Choppa/Shield.

I have another block of CD warriors as well…

demonicprince20:

I would actually go with obtion number 2. That way you still have the close combat boyz and you get a bit more help in shooting. It’s nice have four bolt throwers so it’s a better chance to hit. Plus an extra bc is always nice to add

Servius:

seems like an OK list… the only problem i see is that your army can loose a total of 3150 points to your opponent. this can be bad… I would consider dropping the Banner out of the Orcs and the Unit which will have the BSB.

2250 pts for List

100 pts for General

400 pts for all Quarters

100 pts for BSB

300 pts for Unit Banners

Also I would take a champion in the BSB’s unit as it will help in keeping your BSB alive against some of the nasty characters and keep your BSB in play (as if he refused challenge he is a normal pode for the phase) I would also consider switching the armours between your lord and your BSB… and probably drop the Talisman completely… a 6+ ward save is not worth a heck in my opinion.

Mages look good… may want to try out a power stone and scroll on the one… gives some versatility to him. Units look good except where stated above…

Machines good.

On your options… I would consider the second… Due mainly to me believing that the 2 earthshakers can be decremental to this kind of list. I.E. you have a combat list with short support shooting, slowing your enemy coupled with your already slow moving blocks means your not hitting combat until turn 4 or 5 in which case your just stalling the game. In an army with wolves i would recommend the 2 shakers as you have some speed to get unit locked down when they are slowed then slam in the dwarfs the next turn. The only other time i would recommend the 2 shakers is in the points denial lists… I.E. large nigh un-killable warrior units (30+ strong) with many smaller units of Blunderbusses (12 strong as a max) relatively cheap characters that pack some punch (to negate cannon sniping and the like) then sitting back blasting the crap out of your opponent with 8 bolt throwers and the 2 shakers… they get close open up with the Blunderbusses. (note this doesnt always work and has trouble with cav armies). Back to your list though it looks pretty solid… wouldnt be bad as is though i think the bulls will just disappoint you with only 5… with 6 you should expect to see 3 or 4 hit combat instead of 2 or 3.

Swissdictator:

Ok, after some testing there have been some changes.

Dwarf Lord

Shield, Armour of the Furnace, Black Hammer

Great Taurus

Chaos Dwarf Hero

BSB

Armor of Gazrakh

Talisman of Protection

2 Scrolls

Staff of Sorcery

Banner, Mu

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

FC

Warbanner

20 Orc Boyz

Musician

Shields, Big Uns

14 Blunderbuss

14 Blunderbuss

Death Rocket

Earthshaker

5 Bull Centaurs

Extra Hw

Heavy Armor

Musician.

THE ALTERNATE OPTION:

Drop the Big Uns upgrade to get a 2nd death rocket.

Thoughts?

qwe50:

I think you should take out

Banner, Mu

and upgrade big uns to black orc’s (with shields)

With you lord flying around it’s good to have a unit that can fight and win on it’s own. The BSB can go with the war banner unit (and give a really good CC result)

Rest of the points should be bolt trowers iand f points left add 1 BC and more BB’s i also think you BSB should have sword of might.