[Archive] 2250 to fight Ogres

The Brain:

This is the current state of my 2250 list. My primary opponent is my friends Ogre army, but I want it to be flexable to take on other armies as well.

Lords:

Centaur Lord, Black Hammer of Hashut, Armour of Furnace, and the Enchanted Shield.

Heroes:

Sorcerer, Level 2, Dispell Scorll, Power Stone

Sorcerer, Level 2, Dispell Scorll, Power Stone

Chaos dwarf Hero, heavy armour, sheild, sword of might.

Core:

Blunderbuss (18) standard/chanpion/musician

Blunderbuss (18) standard/chanpion/musician

Worriors (20) w/gw, standard/chanpion/musician

Worriors (20) w/gw, standard/chanpion/musician

Hobgoblins w/bows (10)

Hobgoblins w/bows (10)

Special:

Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers (4)

Rare:

Bull Centaurs (10) w/heavy armour, standard/chanpion/musician

and the warbanner

Earthshaker.

It has taken some tweeking to get the list to this point at first I tried to play a magic heavy list. I owned the magic phase, but I found the spells unreliable. I also found that I laked any big punch for the combat phase. agaist ogres you need it. I also tried using 2 earthshkers becuase of the speed of the ogres and the fact that my friend uses Rhinox cav. Having 2 was nice but the Bull Centaurs give me some speed to combat his and they hold up in a fight. I usually put the centaur lord in a unit of warriors so that they have some punch. Before I used the Centaurs my record was 1 tie and 3 losses. 2 of the losses were close, and the 3rd I don’t want to talk about. But once I made the change I beat those Ogres to a pulp. Comments welcome.

Giftzwerg:

It looks like a good and balanced list. The only thing that might be questionable is the 2 units of hobgoblin archers. They are ok against light cavalry, but possibly of limited use against T4 opponents. Nice to see them used though. Do you use them together for 20 shots on a single target?

I can see the preference for GWs, given that you normally face ogres. Many players prefer the cheap anvil option of HW and shield for an all round army.

You have 2 special slots spare, you could almost swap one cd unit for 2 orc units, if you can stand the animosity. I am over it myself, at least on main battle units. You could try a minimum size Big 'Uns uns unit for an cheap hammer unit. T5 1st round of combat.

Other options that some players are the naked hobgoblin infantry for baiting charges and holding/denying table quarters and wolfriders

All in all though, a good list, and may Hashut be with you:hat off

The Brain:

Thanks for the comment. I have toyed with the idea of changing the archers for sneaky Gits. I was thinking of two units of 10 to use as flankers. Your right the archers do not do much. Mostly they kill an ogre a game. Some times they take on my friends gnoblar units, they do well against them. Their crowning momnent was the last time we played when they put 3 wounds (with shooting) on an ogre unit which then paniced and continued to run of the board a turn later. It was awsome.

Loki:

Good army list from what i can see only a few little bits to tweak if it was me, I would go for a CD lord on great Taurus as this is great for getting flank charges on Ogres, also you cant take the Armour of Furnace, and the Enchanted Shield as that�?Ts two bits of magic armour and you are only aloud to take one, also drop the archers they will be next to useless against Ogres, also I would only have one unit of blunderbuss with Ogre armies being made up of small units they are not very effective another unit of warriors would serve you better.

I am currently writing a CD tactics for defeating Ogres for WOH this we be published in the next one issue so keep an eye out for it :slight_smile:

The Brain:

Thanks,

I would love to try a great taurus out on those ogres, but that and the lammasu are the only two things that I don;t have for my army yet. I tried to take out the Blunderbusses, but I found that the wounds that they do manage to put on the ogres add up over a few turns and manage to get some panic checks. I play them 6 wide and 3 deep so the field of fire is big so I wind up hitting 2 or 3 units of ogres a turn with them. I do think for the Ogres the archers have to go. The more I think about it Gits are a better way to go.

Also you can take the Enchanted Shield with a magic armour. The Shield is a Common Magic Item, not a magic armour. Just like you can take a dispell scroll with an arcane item. Common Magic Items do not affect your abilities to take other items.

Neil:

Also you can take the Enchanted Shield with a magic armour. The Shield is a Common Magic Item, not a magic armour.

The Brain
Sorry, but you are mistaken about this. Look in the Basic Rule book or any Army book and you will see that for each common magic item, it clearly states in it's description if it counts as a magic waepon, armour, talisman etc. The Enchanted Shield is clearly labelled as Magic Armour.

As for your army list, how much value have you got from the command peeps in the Blunderbuss units? I originally used units of 18 with a full command, until I considered that if I dropped the command models from both units I could save 132 points.
Thats enough to get a decent unit or Orcs or something, which I have found far more valuable than the 6 command models, and units of 15 blunderbusses have worked fine for me, they aren't supposed to be combat units, so I haven't missed the bonuses command models bring. Even if you stick at units of 18 you can save 60 points by dropping the command

The Brain:

Also you can take the Enchanted Shield with a magic armour. The Shield is a Common Magic Item, not a magic armour.

The Brain
Sorry, but you are mistaken about this. Look in the Basic Rule book or any Army book and you will see that for each common magic item, it clearly states in it's description if it counts as a magic waepon, armour, talisman etc. The Enchanted Shield is clearly labelled as Magic Armour.

As for your army list, how much value have you got from the command peeps in the Blunderbuss units? I originally used units of 18 with a full command, until I considered that if I dropped the command models from both units I could save 132 points.
Thats enough to get a decent unit or Orcs or something, which I have found far more valuable than the 6 command models, and units of 15 blunderbusses have worked fine for me, they aren't supposed to be combat units, so I haven't missed the bonuses command models bring. Even if you stick at units of 18 you can save 60 points by dropping the command

Neil
That was 6th Ed. In the 7th ED. rule books they are simply common magic items. Example, look at the Empire and Orc rule books. This was a change made moving from 6th to 7th.
Also when fighting Ogres I have found that blunderbusses with commands live longer than hobgoblins. All I could save by droping the commands is 60 points that is hobgoblins or bolt throwers. Hobgobos will take it in the face from ogres and 6 bolt throwers if a little cheesy for a game between friends. If it was a tournament yea I would probably do it. besides not true unit of Chaos Dwards should march to war without its own banner. ;)

Neil:

[/b]

That was 6th Ed. In the 7th ED. rule books they are simply common magic items. Example, look at the Empire and Orc rule books. This was a change made moving from 6th to 7th.
No, this hasn’t changed between 6th and 7th edition. Look at the Magic Item section in the 7th edition rulebook. On page 121 (in the hardback one, not sure which page in the little version) it lists all of the types of magic item. They are Weapons, Armour, Talismans, Arcane, Enchanted and Banners. Common is not listed as a type of Magic Item.

Then look over the page at the table listing the common magic items. It says they are considered common as they are common (avaliable) to all of the armies. Then in the description of each item, straight after the name it says in italics, which type of maic item it is.

For example

STAFF OF SORCERY

Arcane Item - A Wizard who…

The Enchanted shield is clearly listed as Magic Armour, and this interpretation is supported by all of the army books Except Dwarfs). The only reason the common items are listed seperately, is because they aren’t specific to the army, not because they are a different type of item. According to your reasoning, I could give my Chaos Dwarf Lord the Black Hammer of Hashut, and the get him an extra attack by giving him the Sword of Battle, which would clearly be wrong.

The Brain:

The Enchanted shield is clearly listed as Magic Armour, and this interpretation is supported by all of the army books Except Dwarfs). The only reason the common items are listed seperately, is because they aren't specific to the army, not because they are a different type of item. According to your reasoning, I could give my Chaos Dwarf Lord the Black Hammer of Hashut, and the get him an extra attack by giving him the Sword of Battle, which would clearly be wrong.

Neil
Hmmmm...
I see your point. That is not how it is played at my local GW store, but is will show the gang the mistake and we will have to correct it. I think the problem comes from the fact that the newer army books only list them a common. It will be fun to bring this up I love showing red shirts that they are wrong.
Thanks for the correction. :hat off

Father Grumpmas:

A possible option for your army would be to replace your two units of hobgoblins with bows with orc 'arrer boyz, as you have two spare special slots.

For an extra point a model, you get T4, light armour, an extra point of Ld and ST4 on the first round with their choppas.

They make suprisingly effective flankers and kill the occassional thing with their bows. Tough enough to protect warmachines from attacking skirmishers as well (never discount the +1 for higher ground).

The other comment I would make is that the bigger units of Blunderbusses with command work well but blunderbusses in general are a bit useless against ogres due to multi-wound models with big bases in small units - don’t tend to do a lot of damage.

The Brain:

The other comment I would make is that the bigger units of Blunderbusses with command work well but blunderbusses in general are a bit useless against ogres due to multi-wound models with big bases in small units - don't tend to do a lot of damage.

Father Grumpmas
First let me say that I like the idea about the Orc Arrow Boys, they could be useful.

I tried a few games without the blunderbusses but I found that I needed those 2 or 3 wounds that they would cause on the bulls and Iron guts each turn because my bolt throwers were preocupied with a giant unit of maneaters and Rhinox Cav. The Blunderbusses have worked because they take off those last couple of wounds I need to cause a panice check.

Father Grumpmas:

they take off those last couple of wounds I need to cause a panic check.

The Brain
Thats a fair comment - ogres panic pretty easy, and the ripple effect is a joy to behold :hat off

The Brain:

Thats a fair comment - ogres panic pretty easy, and the ripple effect is a joy to behold :hat off

Father Grumpmas
One of my happiest moments was panicing a unit of bulls with Hobgoblin archers, Unit of 4 bulls, 10 archers, 4 hits 3 wounds no saves, they paniced and never rallied take that ogres :P