[Archive] 2500 combat oriented Chaos Dwarfs

Blackspine:

Ahoy.

Here’s a list I’ve been toying with.
it’s a combat centric list. Meant to have a good comp. score and be fun to play with and against.

Lord: 545
  Sorc. Prophet: lvl 4. Lore of Hashut. Great Taurus.
                      4+ ward, Chalice of Blood and Darkness, Charmed shield.
- A solid magic defense, and a mobile monster to help out combats. The bale taurus wasn’t ever worth it. He would swoop into combats and add thunderstomps and more.

Heroes: 436

BSB; Castellan: Mask of the Furnace. Great Weapon
   - in w the IG w/ razor standard-
  Demonsmith: lvl 2, lore of metal, dispell scroll, Enchanted shield.
   - in w the Fireglaives, near magma cannon-
  Hobgoblin Khan: Wolf, shield, light armor, Dragon Helm, Shrieking blade
  -chaff hunter and redirector

Core: 627

Infernal Guard: x29 Hw/Sh. Full command. Razor Standard.
-solid block of guard, stubborn w the BSB. Can hold and dish out some damage.-
Infernal Guard: x10. Banner, Musician. Fireglaives.
-guards the magma cannon, shoots some chaff

Special: 565

Death Shrieker Rocket
Magma Cannon
Bull Centaur Renders: x3 GW, Banner, Musician.
Bull Centaur Renders: x3 GW, Musician
-both of these are chaff killers, redirectors, mobile anvils and to help with the main combat-

Rare: 325
K’daai Destroyer
-yeah. you know-

It was a hard fit with the core and making it fighting shape. Previous draft was 1 block of IG w Hw/Sh and 1 w GW.

The idea of the army is to move slowly forward, supported by 1-2 rounds of shooting. after that, all should be in position and ready for some fighting.
Lore of metal will support the blocks, maybe even pick off some high armored units.
Lore of hashut will give hatred and use ash-storm to scare the crap out of people.

Nurion:

List looks good!

I would consider changing equipment on BC if their main job is to kill chaff. I would take add. hw instead of great weapon on both units. Then i think you could get full cmd on both units for the points saved. I might steal this list and try it out sometime! =)

Blackspine:

I would consider changing equipment on BC if their main job is to kill chaff. I would take add. hw instead of great weapon on both units. Then i think you could get full cmd on both units for the points saved.

Nurion
That's a good idea. However, I think that I want them to do some decent damage in any flank charges. Their low attack output means that those hits NEED to wound. So even T3, s4 doesn't garuntee that, GW's do.

I doubt most chaff could harm them, short of mass skinks. This way they can actually hunt down some medium targets. So far they've worked pretty well. Even taking down a few Chaos warriors.
I might steal this list and try it out sometime! =)

Nurion
Just let me know how it does!

Goltor Lintrepide:

Sould do great, lot of fun too. I really want to know how it performs.

Blackspine:

Sould do great, lot of fun too. I really want to know how it performs.

Yawarakaimatsuka
Only 3 games in so far.

game 1 v ogres.
gut star w lvl 4 heavens.
bulls w a lvl 1 lore of maw
2 3 packs of mornfant
1 iron blaster
1 stonehorn
man eaters (stubborn, poison...is there anyway else to run them?)

narrow victory. the IG were point denial, and won me the game. They held so long.
Bull centaurs took out chaff...but even on the charge, were no match for the mournfang. The low amounts of attacks is a SERIOUS weakness to these guys. Ug.
the lvl 4 de-leveled late game, and the Great Tarus floated around.
The k'daai smashed the bulls easily and did some damage to the ironguts. However, they had enough attacks to finish the guy off.

The magma cannon was shot turn 2 by the iron blaster and KIA. Though it did kill 2 1/3 ogres in one shot.

game 2: vs WoC.

Searing doom and ashstorm killed the 8 juggernaut knights turn 1.
really just mopping up after that. Felt like I was kicking a puppy as the K'daai devoured an 18 man unit of frenzied nurgle warriors.

Opponent complained that "ash storm and k'daai are SO BROKEN!".
however, he didn't try to gateway the k'daai. just focused on traitor of Tzeentch on my IG. pretty funny to see them do 1 wound for all that effort.

game 3:
Ogres again. Same list, one exception: A giant instead of maneaters. Gut star was stubborn (bsb w crown).

I got wrecked this game. IF comet behind my lines. I was playing defensively as I had to weaken the ogres before combat. Took out 1 unit of mournfangs (IF searing doom that sucked my caster into gateway and killed the Fireglaives to a man) then the comet went off .

It killed the DS, 2nd unit of BC's and 12 IG.
it was pretty much game there.
then my lvl 4 was shot by the Iron blaster. Failed his charmed save, then his ward save. ouch.
the taurus did survive, and managed to eat the bulls solo. pretty funny to see. Need to play him more aggressively. against med- low str units.

so; recap, ogres are my lists bane.

the list is FUN. Low b*tching from opponents, other than the K.D., but every army has that awesome unit...and ours has easy ways to handle it that most armies do have.
DS is solid. even vs ogres, I can plunk a few wounds. In early rounds I had the general near it with his taurus' wide base. The demolition rocket is kinda a waste. too easy to miss and 'the shot is wasted'.

Bull centaurs are expensive chaff killers. Coming from Beastmen and WOC, their better than the Marauder horsemen, at a similar cost (91 pts v 150, but a lot more wounds and T). I can't expect miracles from them, but they can do a lot of chasing and holding.
they can't chase a Iron blaster well, as it can move and shoot.:~

the bsb was solid. with hatred, he was dishing out great damages in challenges. I'm sure a WoC lord would beat him to a pulp, but he holds well vs many. With glittering scales, it's just solid.

more to come. just quick recaps

Goltor Lintrepide:

Real good battle report. Happy to see you had fun.

frogbear:

Did you change the list? You mentioned glittering scales…

Yodrin:

great report, and it looks like a fun list.

Think i will try something similar when i get my amy together (still waiting on my models)

Blackspine:

Did you change the list? You mentioned glittering scales...

frogbear
No, it's the lvl 2 lore of metal.
IF i do get glittering or enchanted blades, I take them asap. Searing doom is a good default spell.

I sort of want to make the lvl 4 metal, but rely to heavily on the "breath of hatred".
Ash storm is good, but more importantly, people will throw EVERYTHING at it and scroll it. so if it goes off, bonus. if not, well, the magic phase is mine (esp w chalice)

Metal is great, but still getting used to Hashut

Blackspine:

Another sound beating by ogres.

They’re a bad match up for me.

we played a custom battle from West Coast Hammertime GT; Real Housewives.

(free mini hero w a bound spell and as MEETING ENGAGEMENT)

lvl 4 ogres thunderbolt’d the K’daai and got 1 wound (yay ward save!)

the IG horde made a turn 1 charge into mournfang and slaughtered them.

The k’daai punked his special character and held (off demonic instability, which I’m still not sure of)

His cannon picked off my Magma cannon, turn one. Turn 2, my general (failed the 2+ shield save & the 4+ ward save…my luck) , turn 3, my Death shrieker… then 2 wounds off a BC in turn 4. Ouch. I hate these things.

My bull centaurs stuck into the giant… and he yelled and bawled. Then they managed to not kill him by 2 wounds. Then he yelled and bawled again… Hashut that thing is annoying.

My khan and 2nd unit of BC’s met a glorious end redirecting mournfangs and a stonehorn.

Really, once my general and K’daai went down ( failed it’s T test killing it’s last 2 wounds), I had very little.

Good news, the IG horde ripped the gutstar apart. they killed 4 ogres in turn one. Even hexxed by 2 lore of heavens spells ( curse of M.night wind and Iceshard) but buffed by enchanted blades, they were an immovable object that could dish out some pain (w one round of hatred… disappeared with dead general)

bad news.

Fireglaives were horrible. they had 3 turns of shooting, 2 no move and long range, 1 stand and shoot, and did 1 wound. ONE.

I’ve altered my list and cut out the FG’s and made the BC’s more compact to do damage…but lost a WM.

Most likely, helping my comp.

Notes below

Blackspine:

Lord: 545

Sorc. Prophet: lvl 4. Lore of Hashut. Great Taurus.

4+ ward, Chalice of Blood and Darkness, Charmed shield.

- A solid magic defense, and a mobile monster to help out combats. The bale taurus wasn’t ever worth it. He would swoop into combats and add thunderstomps and more.

I’ve learned I need to use him WAY more agressivley. he needs to run with the K’daai or the BC’s. Get him into weak/med troops and they’ll stick and grind them.

Heroes: 436

BSB; Castellan: Mask of the Furnace. Great Weapon

- in w the IG w/ razor standard-

Demonsmith: lvl 2, lore of metal, dispell scroll, Enchanted shield.

- in w the GW’s maybe, near magma cannon solo.

Hobgoblin Khan: Wolf, shield, light armor, Dragon Helm, Shrieking blade

-chaff hunter and redirector

Core: 7–

Infernal Guard: x29 Hw/Sh. Full command. Razor Standard.

-solid block of guard, stubborn w the BSB. Can hold and dish out some damage.-

Infernal Guard: x18 .Full command. Greatweapons.

-ideally, the needed 2nd punch my army needs. With hatred and access to lore of metal, these guys should be solid. Potential home for Demonsmith.

Special: 455

Magma Cannon

Bull Centaur Renders: x6 GW, Banner, Musician; gleaming pennant

Chaff killer, and mobile anvil. the 3 from before had no hitting power. Now they’ll have more. Very soild as is defense wise

Rare: 325

K’daai Destroyer

Again, need to use him aggressively, either with the General or along side the BSB/ GW unit.  Solo, he’s ok, but can be redirected easily.

So, what I’ve learned with the previous rendition:

3 BC’s had low dmg output. Even one flubbed armor save meant losing combat.

I DESPERATELY needed another threat. As it was, the KD was a hammer, and the IG horde was a mobile anvil, with some punch.

Now, the GW’s are a small hammer and the BC’s can bring some pain.

I’ll hopefully play something besides ogres soon… god I hate ogres.

Mostly the Ironblaster. Which each one can take near 1k of points.

Blackspine:

Still lacking the punch I need and want.

The general is great, but even with the mount, isn’t as combat effective as he should be.

What I’ve done is this

Dropped the taurus (general is still the same, but enchanted shield, instead of charmed)

Dropped the GWs on the BC’s

Dropped 3 BC’s

dropped the lvl 2. (sadly)

Dropped the HG Khan (sadly…)

what I’ve gained

2 BC Tar’uks. Each with 1+ armor and kits. 1 has GW and dawnstone, one has Sword of anti heroes.

1 Death shrieker

Made the HORDE of IG great weapons

made the 18 block HW/sh

made the BC’s HW sh.

still 20 points left.

MatNotBarlow:

How is this list holding up since the changes?