[Archive] 2500 Fun list vs High Elves

frogbear:

Looking to have a fun game taking things that I have not taken against an opponent that has not played too many games.

I still want to be competitive yet not steam-roll the opponent.

I think the below list will be a challenge as well as supply a non-destructive intro to Chaos Dwarves.

That leaves me with a Siege Giant, Lammasu, Taurus and a SkullCracker to take.

Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------
1 Infernal Castellan
     General; Blackshard Armour; Shield
     Talisman of Preservation

1 Infernal Castellan
     Blackshard Armour; Shield; Battle Standard
     Talisman of Endurance

1 Daemonsmith Sorcerer
     Lore of Death; Magic Level 2; Darkforged Weapon; Blackshard Armour
     Dispel Scroll
     Ironcurse Icon

1 Hobgoblin Khan
     Throwing Knives
     The Terryfying Mask of Eee!
     1 Giant Wolf

1 Hobgoblin Khan
     Throwing Knives
     1 Giant Wolf

26 Chaos Dwarf Inferal Guard
     Blackshard Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

1 Deathmask
          Blackshard Armour

40 Hobgoblin Cutthroats
     Throwing Knives; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats
     Bow; Throwing Knives; Light Armour; Musician

5 Bull Centaurs Renders
     Great Weapons; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician
     1 Ba’hal
          Heavy Armour

5 K’daai Fireborn
     1 K’daai Manburner

1 Iron Daemon War Engine
     Steam Cannonade
     1 Chaos Dwarf Crew

1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher
     3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

1 Dreadquake Mortar
     3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

Models in Army: 112

Total Army Cost: 2500.0

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The first thing I see is you’ve only got a level 2 wizard. And assuming he is going to hide in the back with his war machines, he’ll never get a spell off because of the range issues. Maybe lore of fire?

Grimbold Blackhammer

frogbear:

Ah yes! Forgot to change that before posting.

Lore of Fire it is.  :)

Time of Madness:

Interesting looking list. Unfortunately at 2500pts you are really going to be out gunned in the magic phase. With only a meager level 2 you will most likely run into issues stopping opponents magical assaults. You may be better off dropping the general castellan and taking a level off the smith and using the points to invest in a prophet.

If you are insistent on running the double castellans with no prophet. Place them in the infernal guard unit. Make the unit 28 strong (30 with the characters) and place them 5 wide by 6 deep. I’d also invest in the standard of disipline to get LD 10 with the re-roll/stubborn ability.

The centaurs and the fireborn units are a bit off. I like to run the fireborn either at 4 strong (4 wide) or 6 strong (3X3). 5 just seems like a weird number. The centaurs are better deployed in units of 4 (2x2). I’d drop a single centaur and add an extra fireborn. So you’d end up with 4 centaurs deployed 2X2 and 6 fireborn deployed 3X3.

If you take the dreadquake always take a slave ogre. The ogre combined with the re-rolls of the smith make it a nasty warmachine.

Hope that helps,

Time of Madness

frogbear:

Interesting looking list. Unfortunately at 2500pts you are really going to be out gunned in the magic phase. With only a meager level 2 you will most likely run into issues stopping opponents magical assaults. You may be better off dropping the general castellan and taking a level off the smith and using the points to invest in a prophet.

If you are insistent on running the double castellans with no prophet. Place them in the infernal guard unit. Make the unit 28 strong (30 with the characters) and place them 5 wide by 6 deep. I'd also invest in the standard of disipline to get LD 10 with the re-roll/stubborn ability.

Time of Madness
Some interesting points. I think I will stick with the LVL2 to make it interesting and give me a challenge  :)  I like the idea of the Banner etc. I will see what I do after another review. As stated, it is a fun list and I do not mind being challenged.
The centaurs and the fireborn units are a bit off. I like to run the fireborn either at 4 strong (4 wide) or 6 strong (3X3). 5 just seems like a weird number. The centaurs are better deployed in units of 4 (2x2). I'd drop a single centaur and add an extra fireborn. So you'd end up with 4 centaurs deployed 2X2 and 6 fireborn deployed 3X3.
Aha! The list is done through Army Builder and for some reason they count the unit of 6 with a champ as 5 + 1. So the Fireborn and B.Centaurs are actually units of 6 with a champ in each. So no need to drop anything in those units.
If you take the dreadquake always take a slave ogre. The ogre combined with the re-rolls of the smith make it a nasty warmachine.
I do not expect the opponent to be really competitive but I will look at it.
Hope that helps,
Time of Madness
Definately!

Thanks for you help.  :hat off