[Archive] 2500 points, all corners. Another day, another battle!

Bassman:

Here is my first LoA list ever :smiley:

Sorcerer prophet

Level IV

2+ AS (enchanted shield)

plus 4+ ward save

Castellan BSB

mask of the furnace

dawn stone

great weapon

rerollable 3+ AS plus 4+ ward save

Daemonsmith

Level I

pistol (just for fun :slight_smile: )

Taurā€™ruk

blackshard armor

+2 attacks magic weapon

luckstone reroll 1 armor save

30 infernal guards

full command

warbanner

30 hobgoblins with bows, musician and banner

30 hobgoblins with shields, musician and banner

3 bull centaurs, musician, banner of swiftness

magma cannon

2 death rockets

Destroyer

5 naked wolfriders (throw away unit)

What do you think?

I think I have a decent magic defence,

the daemonsmith will take care of warmachines

taurā€™ruk and bull centaurs will act as hammers and support units

Hobgoblins with bows will defend warmachines or support centre blocks

Infernals plus hobgoblins will be the centre.

Destroyer, where I need something that strikes hardā€¦

I would like to put in an hellcannon butā€¦ I do not have oneā€¦ so not yet hellcannonsā€¦ :frowning:

rabotak:

i really like your list and must say iā€™m impressed by the variety of troops you manage to put on the field - 6 drops + warmachines at 2400 points is not bad for LoA, hats off!

the crux though is that all units are pretty barebone, and the wolf raiders are as you say a throwaway unitā€¦ still, iā€™m sure it will work out very well, and i see a lot of synergies!

Bassman:

Well actually itā€™s a 2500 points list :wink:

I think 30 is enough for Infernals, do you think shall be more?

I love hobgoblins so I always try to push in as more as I canā€¦ and as I told you not having an Hellcannon it really makes space for more junk :wink:

Well, tonite Iā€™m going to try it for the first time. So I will let you knowā€¦

rabotak:

oh ā€¦ 2500 even better! ā€¦i should have cleaned my glasses x.x

personally, i think 30 infernals is about the maximum i would play this, i usually do 25, which is already a very solid unit (at least in my gaming-environment). and i share your feelings concerning hobgobs and the hc, 50 hg is a personal must, while the rares, foremost the hellcannon, are not really tempting options for me- except for maybe the destroyer, which i wonĀ“t play before i get the proper wf model.
wolf raiders are also interesting, but iĀ“m not sure itĀ“s because i like them or rather because i donĀ“t know what i should do with themā€¦ IMO, they seem to have quite an awkward position in this listā€¦ sure, theyĀ“re cheap, funky practically as good as ever, and being a rare unit doesnĀ“t really change anythingā€¦ but compared to the power level and usefulness of the other ā€œcombatā€ choices, they, well, donĀ“t really seem to competeā€¦

but enough of the rant, have a fun game :cheers

(and donĀ“t forget to take some pictures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Bassman:

Pics wanted? Here they are :wink:

This was my deployment during last night battle:

My only shame is the ā€œbellā€ magma cannon, made with the barrel of the shaker as I do not have yet a magma cannon :frowning:

I was playing against a Skaven army, pretty regular.

Not great with battle reports so just a few infos.

Because at the corner there was a nice hill I decided to encastle there and shot as much as possible before I unleash the Kdaii and Dwarfsā€¦

The Kdaii was in the middle to protect my castle flank and/or to wreak havoc in the middle of the battle field.

My leftmost flank was hold by a reserve of bull centaurs (with Taurā€™ruk) and wolf riders.

To make a long story short:

The wolf riders were surprisingly pretty useful. At 60 points without bows or spears cannot kill anything BUT can act as meatshield for the bull centaurs, decoy, march blockers. Thanks to my castle they had space to roam free and get away from nasty stuff but being able to slow down the abominion, a doomwheel and a regiment of rat ogres.

They killed nothing at all and ended to be grilled by doomwheelā€™s lightenings but slowind down and derouting stuff was exactly what I wanted from them. At least that damn wheel was not killing dwarfs and more important stuff and the rat ogres where prevented to move faster and had no role in the battle :smiley:

I found Ash storm a wonderfull spell! It was the only one that was able to cast but I shot it to the Skaven lord regiment preventingĀ Ā the Sorcerer to cast nasty spells on my units and to move his damn hero with the orb (object that make you force initiative test, dwarf instant killerā€¦) until the last two turns.

It was also useful to slow down a big block of the enemy army.

It resulted useful to boost my dwarfs and hobgoblins in a cc turn nerfing that damn rats! :slight_smile:

Itā€™s pretty obvious that I fel in love with my Kdaii Destroyer!

He is great and thanks to warmachine fire (that took away 2 wounds from the abominion) and flaming attacks it get rid of the abominion :smiley:

After wiping out the abominion it resulted exposed to the rear charge by plague furnace and an horde regiment of plague monksā€¦ not to say it repelled them and sent them to hell :smiley:

After this performance the smoke settled and the battle was over but my opponent was so scared of it :hat off

Bassman:

The battle ended with a minor victory for the Chaos Dwarfs and a lot of fun!

Negative points:

Infernals are resilients but after 4 turns of magic and wrmachine concentrate fireā€¦ they have been wiped out! And my enemy got a massive amount of points from them :frowning: I could say this is ok, their sacrifice saved my Bsb and my Sorcerer Prophet but this was a disappointment. The good old dwarfs did the same without so many points!

War machines:

even against soft targets like skaven my Death shriekers did little. Yes they killed 4-5 rats each per turn but being rats this was not such a great achievementā€¦ the rocket is pretty nice and ended to soften the abominion. The only problem is that with tougher and more armoredstuff they will do littleā€¦ but I will try them again!

The magma cannon is great. Nothing to say, it kills stuff and terrorize the enemy.

The only problem is really difficult for them to get rid of enemy warmachinesā€¦ sometimes I missed the good old heart shaker :wink:

But our warmachines need a demonsmith to take care of them! He saved my warmachines from misfire many times. Even with his presence one of the rockets blowed outā€¦ without would be a nightmare!

Well, Iā€™m pretty happy with the new list and I think Iā€™ll try again this list to learn better how to use our little evil buggers!

rabotak:

hehehe nicey!
great characterful army, and good to hear it all worked out - shows all you need is a plan and stick to it!
did you try both firing modes for the rockets? demolitions are quite good for big scary monstersā€¦
and yes magma cannon is good for anything save warmachines ā€¦ mine bounces off empire cannons regularly

edit: ah, sorry ninjad by your second post!

Bassman:

Yes, dwarfs are stubborn and resilient and not so imaginativeā€¦ so we need a plan and stick with it :smiley:

The infantry castle worked well. I had the surprisingly smart idea (at least, smart for me :wink: ) To use the corner position to secure my right flank! He had not enough space to use his numbers and had to move to me only two units at time.

Slowing one with ash storm was great as I divided his forces. At the end only one regiment of clan rats smashed against my hobgoblins that stood thanks to being stubborn (more ranks!) and Bsb and lord nearby. That was exactly what I expected and countercharged with dwarfs. The Infernals resultedā€¦ so and so combatants as they killed a couple of ratsā€¦ no more. My lord and Bsb did their job and the combat was won and they repelled the rats. Not to said that I restained, as pursuing with dwarfs is not always a good idea and I wanted to not be esposed to the lord regiment countercharge.

The archer hobgoblins (rightmost regiment on the hill) hold the flank, and shoot something on the battlefield. They were annoying for the enemy and Iā€™m pretty satisfied :slight_smile:

Baggronor:

even against soft targets like skaven my Death shriekers did little. Yes they killed 4-5 rats each per turn but being rats this was not such a great achievement.... the rocket is pretty nice and ended to soften the abominion. The only problem is that with tougher and more armoredstuff they will do little... but I will try them again!
I find the Demolition Shells far more useful than the Incendiary Shots. They are good for killing monsters.

Nice army, the blue is very refreshing and unusual!

Iirc, the Mask and Dawnstone combo is too many points in magic items for the Castellan? I`m in Japan at the moment and don`t have my book to hand, but I`m fairly sure...

rabotak:

Iirc, the Mask and Dawnstone combo is too many points in magic items for the Castellan? I`m in Japan at the moment and don`t have my book to hand, but I`m fairly sure...

Baggronor
good spot, youĀ“re absolutely correct.

Bassman:

Baggronor
good spot, youĀ“re absolutely correct.

rabotak
Holy Hashut! You're right. That's so lame! :(

We need to protect our castellan Bsb.
Any suggestion to equip him?

maybe.... mask of furnace, plus luckstone?
Or simply go with a magic shield for a 2+ armor save? But I have to get rid of the great weapon that I love so much..... :~

How would you tool my characters? :)

P.S. in Japan without Tamurkhan book? Why? It's so easy to transport :P
Jockes apart, lucky git! I'd love to come back to Japan..... :)

Baggronor:

We need to protect our castellan Bsb.
Any suggestion to equip him?
I go for Dawnstone, Dragonhelm and Shield for a 2 plus re-rollable save. I`d like him to kill stuff, but his priority is to survive. You could swap the Dawnstone for a ward save I guess, or even Fencer`s Blades for WS 10. Keep him on the edge of the unit and try to have a wide frontage so only 1 or 2 enemies can hit him.
P.S. in Japan without Tamurkhan book? Why? It's so easy to transport
Jockes apart, lucky git! I'd love to come back to Japan.....
Heh, I like to travel light :) Just come back to Tokyo from Kyoto, been immersed in temples and shrines for 3 days. Awesome.

ChungEssence:

Great post and pics.

Interesting report. Looking forward to your next battle

Time of Madness:

My Fav castellan build at the moment is simply a shield and mask of the furnace. Gives him a 2+ followed by the 4+ ward save. Also leaves the enchanted shield/tailsman of preservation open for the Prophet.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the throw away wolf riders.

If you want to make it a lot more competitive Iā€™d drop the unit of hobgoblins with shields and the wolf riders in favour of a hellcannon :slight_smile:

Time of Madness

Bassman:

Thank you guys for suggestions.

Next week I am going to play against Bretonnia. Iā€™ve been soooooo long since I played with them almost forgot how they areā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll stick to this army, as I do want to learn how to use them not just continuously switch from one list to the other.

I just want to fix problems with Bsb tooling up, of course!

My only fear with this list is the rockets will be almost useless but for peasantsā€¦ maybe 2 magma cannons are better than 2 death rockets and one magma cannonā€¦ mmmmh.

Time of Madness: I will try an hellcannon later on. Not now as I do not have a mini for it :frowning:

Bassman:

Fixed some little mistakes here and there:

Sorcerer prophet

Level IV

2+ AS (enchanted shield)

dawnstone

plus 4+ ward save

Castellan BSB

mask of the furnace

great weapon

luckstone

Daemonsmith

Level I

shield that prevent one hit received with 2+

Taurā€™ruk

blackshard armor

+2 attacks magic weapon

shield

31 infernal guards

full command

warbanner

30 hobgoblins with bows, musician and banner

30 hobgoblins with shields, musician and banner

3 bull centaurs, musician, banner of swiftness

magma cannon

2 death rockets

Kdaai Destroyer

As you can see I fixed points with characters and now I have a ā€œlegalā€ list :hat off

My castellan BSB kept his great weapon, maybe a little bit risky but I want him to deliver some damage. At least he can reroll his armor save once per battleā€¦

The wolfriders are gone because I do not have points leftā€¦ despite nobody seems to like my throw away unit I am not happyā€¦ I love when hobgoblins die in a miserable way protecting my dwarfs :wink:

Tonite a new test. So new pictures and new battle report :hat off

KramDratta:

Fixed some little mistakes here and there:

Sorcerer prophet
Level IV
2+ AS (enchanted shield)
dawnstone
plus 4+ ward save

Bassman
Dawnstone & 4+ Ward save (Talisman of Preservation are both Talismans.

Bassman:

Oh, my goodness, seems to me I am no more able to build up a legal list :frowning:

Next one will be perfect, I promise :wink:

This time I played against Vampire Countsā€¦ my nemesis :frowning:

We played the tower scenario, but actually we did not have time for a full match so we did not finished the game. When we had to stop I controlled the tower and he wiped out most of my army :frowning:

So it was more or less a drawā€¦

He had a combat vampire, a necromancer, bsb and two banshees. Two big blocks of gouls, an enormous block of spearskellies and a block of tomb guards (with vampire lord inside) plus bats and Varghulf.

This is a picture of my army :slight_smile:

No time for a full battle report but highlights:

I really need the item that makes me reroll magic miscasts! I rolled a miscast and I rolled 4ā€¦ lucky my Bsb and sorcerer prophet survived (!) but 18 dwarfs were wiped out form the battle field and that become decisive when my dwarfs were charged by the grave guardā€¦ without bodies and ranks we were doomed.

Both the Lord and the Bsb need the 4+ ward save. Seems that everybody wants to kill them with no armor save weapons or killing blows :frowning:

My Destroyer performed decently, as Vampire Counts have the tools to stop him. They cannot kill him but can stop him.

He acted like a monstrous lawn mower with ghouls, wiping them out of the battle field but just a banshee was able to get rid of him for the rest of the battleā€¦

Fire attacks of our warmachines are great, they remove regeneration, but the most effective was my Dewath rocket with GPS. Seems that I can roll only hits ;). His Black coach was gone by turn 1 :hat off and his necromancer was sent back to his grave at the end of the battle and varghulf suffered a couple of wounds.

Big problem was to stop him from marching! I do not care most of the other spells but that move is unstoppable! I stopped once and he re-rolled again and again :expressionless: with the result to charge me on my flanksā€¦

And ethereals are always a big problemā€¦ those pesky creatures refuses to die.

At the end Iā€™m pretty happy with the LoA list. Once for me Vampire counts were a meaningless battle, my dwarfs died in droves with no hope, now I lost again but this time I made him sweat his victory :hashut

Another step on the way to learn how to use my dwarfs :slight_smile:

ChungEssence:

Great stuff. Your army looks brilliant!

Time of Madness:

Your list is very similar to my 2500pt list. I take a hellcannon instead of the Taurā€™ruk and units of 20 hobgoblins with bows instead of 30. Which the extra points I take the extra bull centaur for a unit of 4 (2X2).

The list has been very sucessful for me. Iā€™d be interested in hearing how much you like the Taurā€™ruk as I canā€™t help thinking a hellcannon may be a better choice.

Lovely looking army!

Time of Madness