[Archive] 300

Xander:

Who else is excited about this movie? :smiley:

For those with Quicktime:

iTunes Movie Trailers

For others:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=300%20trailer&search=Search

The movie is from Frank Miller, who did Sin City. It is based on his graphic novel derived from greek history, the [wikipedia]Battle of Thermopylae[/wikipedia]. Warhammer fans most likely will enjoy this kind of movie. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Flying Beaver:

That movie looks ridiculously corny, and highly inaccurate. Therefore, there’s nothing that can keep me away from the theatre.

Snotling:

battles… blood… fighting… sounds cool! :happy

Xander:

I would say stylized, not corny, but eh. :cheers

hal:

That movie looks ridiculously corny, and highly inaccurate. Therefore, there's nothing that can keep me away from the theatre.
It's not really supposed to be accurate as it is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel.
I'm very excited at the prospect of this film, I don't really think that it'll be a good movie in the conventional sense but I think it'll be entertaining nonetheless.
Looks like it was all filmed on blue screen also.

metro_gnome:

saw this weekend past…
kept wanting the persians to win… they kept losing… at least they had great babes…
sort of balances out all the buff naked men with shaved oiled chests… but not enough imho…

yes highly CGI…
i think the cut line was at the capes… where they put farimirs head on a bodybuilders body…

Grimstonefire:

You know this is where the Persian Immortals of legend fight right?

I always thought this battle would make an awesome film, looks like it should be good. :slight_smile:

The Flying Beaver:

I saw it opening night, it was frickin amazing! Go see it!

Hashut’s Blessing:

I saw the advert for it yesterday and it looked really quite poor to me. Since I have a lack of funds as well, I won’t see it yet. But, the fact that they seem to use CGI for the people in a lot of places, when they use actors in others (to be the same characters), it really spoils the look of the film. It doesn’t overly appeal to me. (Aye, sour puss I am, but SOMEone usually disagrees.)

Revlid:

saw this weekend past...
kept wanting the persians to win... they kept losing... at least they had great babes...
sort of balances out all the buff naked men with shaved oiled chests... but not enough imho...

yes highly CGI...
i think the cut line was at the capes... where they put farimirs head on a bodybuilders body...

metro_gnome
Actually, there are training videos for these guys on Youtube, and there's no manipulation for the bodies. All real. :0

The Immortals rock, also.

Hobgoblyn:

It is a revisionist history racist propaganda film near as I can tell from information surrounding it. I find it incredibly hard to rationalize seeing the film. It does its best to seem ‘cool’, but in the end it is the equivalent of KKK/NeoNazi propaganda targetting the race that it is currently “okay” to be irrationally hateful towards…

and that’s just not cool, no matter how much CG you paint it up with.

metro_gnome:

there is no doubt that it is a propaganda film…
the final image of the dead Leonitis is anything but subtle…
and its a whole lot more that xtians vs. muslims… or democracy vs. theocracy…
consider how corrupt the senate is made to be…
preaching “democracy” while attacking the “Liberal” mechanic at its source…
Something is not right in the state of Denmark…

but we can still appreciate the artistry of filmmaking that went in to the production…
in alot of ways it reminds me of the chinese film “Hero”…
a beautiful and artful film… that is being used as a springboard for a rather dubious political message…

I would not want 300 to go down as just another propaganda film tho…
perhaps because it is so blatantly obvious it has already failed…

could a mod asteriks in “spoliers” in the threads title…
I hate walking into a thread discussing a film and having it completely ruined for me… :hat off

gORCUS:

Yeah, cause I totally equate a comic book depiction of the ancient persian empire filtered through hollywood with modern middles eastern countries.*

*sarcasm

metro_gnome:

thats funny… i don’t…

timing is everything…

and i think the timing for this film as a serious propaganda film is about 2 years too late…

Warcaster_Wyatt:

THIS FILM IS AWSOME, saw it on saturday, It could possible be the best movie of 2007… The film style looks as it does because the cinematographer is the same person who did Sin City! I loved this movie it was awsome… Metro_Gnome: Yeah the persian women weren’t too hot… yuck.

metro_gnome:

i like persian women :slight_smile:

nope the cinematographer for 300 was Larry Fong… some amazing work…
the cinematography for for Sin City was done by Rodriguez himself… also some excellent shooting…

but they are both based on the graphic novels of Frank Miller and he was heavily involved in the making of both…
he even helped direct sin city…

Grimstonefire:

So are the Immortals actually in it then? They really should be if its accurate.

metro_gnome:

oh yeah they are there… dying in droves…

wallacer:

It is a revisionist history racist propaganda film near as I can tell from information surrounding it. I find it incredibly hard to rationalize seeing the film. It does its best to seem 'cool', but in the end it is the equivalent of KKK/NeoNazi propaganda targetting the race that it is currently "okay" to be irrationally hateful towards....

and that's just not cool, no matter how much CG you paint it up with.

Hobgoblyn
Considering that it is the stated foreign policy position of Iran to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth (i.e. to murder millions of people) I fail to understand how disliking Iran could be equated with Nazism. If anything it would seem that the analogy with Nazism could be more accurately targetted at Iran.

It is not irrationally hateful to dislike people who openly espouse murder.

metro_gnome:

no it isn’t…
so why are you advocating Israeli actions any more than Iranian idle threats?
two sides to every coin…

perhaps i had too much hope that this film didn’t reach people on a hate mongering level…
perhaps Iran does have something to whine about afterall…