[Archive] 40k: Khornate Tau Themed Army

Auretious Taak:

I posted this list half a year ago on both The Golden Throne forum and dakkadakka and all I got was one comment saying that whilst it’d be hilarious to see, I wouldn’t win many games with it but it was brilliant that I had found a use for ‘The Space Pope’.

I would love feedback/advice from people, feel free to use the lists or modify them or what have you, but a couple of weeks ago I had this funky idea for the following army:

A Kornate Chaos Themed Tau Fire Warrior Army.

You heard right, a Close Combat Tau force without any Kroot or anything else, just pure Fire Warriors. The List is as Follows:

HQ - Aun’Va - Master of the Undying Spirit = 205pts.

HQ - Commander Shas’o (75); Shield Generator (20), Iridium Armour (Special Issue) (20), Stimulant Injector (Special Issue) (10), Hardwired Multi-tracker (5), Cyclic Ion Blaster (15), Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (Special Issue)(20) = 165pts.

Elite - XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Team: 1 Shas’vre (35), Bonding Knife (5), Shield Generator (20), twin-linked Flamer (6); 2 Shas’ui (50), Shield Generator (40), twin-linked Flamer (12) = 168pts.

Elite - XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Team (See Above) = 168pts.

Elite - XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Team (See Above) = 168pts.

Troops - 6 Shas’la Fire Warriors (60), Pulse Carbines = 60pts.

Troops - 6 Shas’la Fire Warriors (60), Pulse Carbines = 60pts.

Heavy Support - XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team: 1 Shas’vre (80), twin-linked Railgun, Smart Missile System, Bonding Knife (5), Hard-wired Target Lock (5), Shield Generator (20); 1 Shas’ui (70), Twin-linked Railgun, Smart Missile System, Shield Generator (20) = 200pts.

Heavy Support - XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team: 1 Shas’vre (80), twin-linked Railgun, Smart Missile System, Bonding Knife (5), Hard-wired Target Lock (5), Shield Generator (20); 1 Shas’ui (70), Twin-linked Railgun, Smart Missile System, Shield Generator (20) = 200pts.

Heavy Support - XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team: 1 Shas’vre (80), twin-linked Railgun, Smart Missile System, Hard-wired Multi-tracker (5), Shield Generator (20) = 105pts.

Total = 1,499 points; Total Models = 30.

The premise of this force is simple, Get Aun’va Killed ASAP, and failing that get him in line of sight to every battlesuit you can. Aun’va MUST die to make your army suddenly get nasty. So long as they aren’t engaged in combat when he dies, then every unit takes a morale check, regardless of the result they gain Preferred Enemy to the opponents army and Furious Charge. Strength 6 Initiative 3/4 Battlesuits are pretty solid, especially considering Preferred Enemy under 5th ed allows re-rolls to misses in combat, which should negate the low WS of most of the army. There is a lot of solid firepower and very solid protection in the force regardless of how small it is. 9 twin-linked flamers will easily make a mess of massed infantry and the 5 Broadsides each able to target a different target is immensely useful for dealing with enemy tanks. The Commander was a hardchoice for weapons, but he gets down to beinga hardcore anti-infantry chap who is quite the tank witha 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Invulnerable Save as well as a 4+ Feel No Pain Save to boot! He may be a bit slower then the rest of the force but boy is he a resilient chappy! The smallness of the force combined witha total lack of any ability to get Power Weapon equivalents is a limiting factor for the combat aspect but with every battlesuit toting a 3+ or 2+ armour save as well as a 4+ invulnerable save it should prove rather interesting. In 5th I’d bring the 2 units of Fire Warriors on from Reserve and just camp them in cover and hope they can keep any objectives in your own half of the table from the enemy though that is unlikely. light on Troops, small in numbers, an opportunity for a heavily converted and damned fun themed force that bugger all people in the world have done before (read 2 guys froms earches online, and one of those guys was using the Chaos Space Marine Rules to represent his chaos Tau so he doesn’t count at all) and you have a recipe for an amusing force that will be remembered by anyone that comes along and plays it. Throw in the fact no one expects people to play a Tau Force designed to get into combat and who in their right mind would willingly throw away a 205pt HQ unit ASAP and Bam! As an aside the 2 guards of Aun’Va, whilst with no armour except whilst Aun’Va is alive, they are some of your most potent warriors having on Aun’Va’s death and charging 4 I 4 (5?) WS 4, Strength 6 Attacks each…Hardcore for a guy on foot with an Honour Blade!

What are your opinions and thoughts on the army? Would you play with it, even just once off? Any mofdifications you’d make to it to retain it’s flexibility and actual ability to deal with an enemy army such as those wonderful 160+ Ork Hoard armies floating around these days (Though nothing beats the magnitude of the 280 odd grot/kommando army at 1,500pts, lol)? Let me know, I’d love some feedback.

Auretious Taak.