[Archive] 4th, 5th ed Warhammer Armies Books

Khan!:

Does anyone know how much these books go for these days? I guess they would be the first Warhammer Armies books actually, not counting the original one that had all the armies in it. I have the Lizardmen, Wood Elves, Dwarfs and Empire ones from back in the day and I was just thinking about clearing out my bookshelves…

Hammerhand:

Not very much unfortunately. Usually the first thing I do when I start a new army is buy all the old army books off ebay, you can pick most of them up for around �3 each.

Willmark:

Only the CD army book is going for anything that is worth the time and effort. The postage might be more then what the book will sell for.

wallacer:

Surely most of the fluff from the old army books is available online anyway?

Willmark:

Nope. Copywrite issues. You can’t just place someone else IP online . GW could since its theirs to begin with, but that is another story altogether.

wallacer:

Surely it would only be a breach of copyright if it was a verbatim copying of the text…

Outlining the background fluff and what happened would be fine. Surely GW wouldn’t bother prosecuting anyone for that?

(when does the copright on old publications from the UK expire anyway?)

Willmark:

Good question, Who knows with all the differences between countries, let alone the Digital Millennium Copyright Act here in the States. Plus what constitutes Fair Use? Need a lawyer to figure that mess out.

Hammerhand:

As I understand it, it would entirely depend on the contract between GW and the Author.��If the author’s contract grants permission for GW to use his work in certain publications, then they would not be allowed to just put it in other publications, unless the author relinquished copywrite full stop which is doubtfull.��This is so that the author can claim royalties from publications sold when he/she no longer works for GW.

Intellectual Property is different from copywrite.��The IP is entirely owned by GW, the author is granted permission to use the IP for his work.��This is so the author cannot leave GW and publish work based on the GW IP just because he wrote it.��

It’s basically to tie the hands of both parties so they can’t make money out of each other’s stuff after they have parted company.

So GW can grant permission for other authors to produced similar work, as it’s their IP, but they can’t re-produce previous work without the author’s permission (and so probably, without paying nearly as much as it costs for an author to write new stuff).

Khan!:

Hm, well, very unfortunate in general I suppose. I guess I will just hang on to them for sentimental value…

cornixt:

They have great fluff and pictures. It would be great if someone put them on a torrent or something, so much stuff is hard to get and torrents nearly always have the stuff which is easy to get hold of rather than the great old stuff.

Willmark:

Shame, shame, shame!

cornixt:

Yes, I’m sorry, I retract my statement. Even thought the books are difficult to get hold of and wouldn’t be losing GW any money, and GW doesn’t have anywhere near the resources to stop or track a torrent like they can a webpage, making them easily available for reference purposes is still illegal. Filesharing should be used to copyright free files only.

Willmark:

Agreed, GW IS HIGHLY unlikely to be looking at his site…torrents meh, near impossible to track. Now you can get out of “time out” if you behave! :slight_smile:

Hammerhand:

And, theoretically, if you did look on a Torrent/e-book site, I don’t think you would find anything because if someone theoretically had a theoretical look, then, in theory, they would have pm’ed you with the location, so this theoretical comment, which is purely theory says that there isn’t any out there.

Willmark:

So what are you theoretically trying to tell me??? :wink:

Hammerhand:

So what are you theoretically trying to tell me??? ;)

Willmark
That there are no army books on the most common torrent/ebook sites. According to someone I theoretically know really well. In theory, of course!