[Archive] 6/6/2015 LED Sorcerer Prophet almost done, GT 3rd place award

TheHoodedMan:

Looks good, especially the fire from the mouth (is that from one of the nurgle riders?).

Admiral:

Spot on, Herby. That’s an impressive Destroyer, sam!

sam585:

@Hoodedman yes it is from the maggoth rider set, with the maggots filed off

@Admiral/herby thank you for the compliments, I am going to have to watch that John Carpenter movie.

Yodrin:

Impressive!!! Colors, base and paint job is really great!!!

Helblindi:

The blood effects really bring everything nicely together. Suddenly the model is alive and clearly in some pain. Nice job!

sam585:

So I got an Irondaemon some two weeks ago, its taken me a while to get to it, but after a few days I have got it painted to a table top standard. Once again I went with the rusty effect I did on my last hellcannon to keep the theme going. The coals were painted from a build up of dark red-red-red orange-light orange- yellow-white I let the areas underneath the shovel, and certain areas of the dwarfs to get hit with a drybrush of the first four colors to get a light effect.

I am going to do an experiment to get some sort of smoke effect from the smokestack, and the cannon barrels.

Overall I am pretty pleased with how it came out, but what a pain to assemble!

With this Irondaemon pretty much completed, I can return to basing projects, and a display board, and I have plenty of time with 3 weeks left until the 2k tournament :slight_smile:

Bloodbeard:

I like the green colour of the metal. Real nice. And the Iron Demon is such a nice model. For a smoke effect:

Zanthraxx’s blog show how he made some real cool smoke for all his warmachines. Tjub has some nice smoky fires on his fortress (relatively recent in his blog).

And I have made smoke for a counter. Made from that green shrub/flock/foam thing, around a wire core and loads of super glue. Smoke the lighting of the picture is pretty bad. IRL the colours have much more variety.

Yodrin:

Agree with Bloodbeard on the color, and ver well executed!!

sam585:

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to view my blog, and to comment. I really appreciate it and it is motivating me to keep focused on Chaos Dwarfs. :hat off thank you.

Now With all of my models now painted save for rebasing, I thought this would be a good day to get some work in on my display board. Here below you can see the layout of the board.  The highest part shall be a brownish toxic pool, which will be oozing down into the valley below.

Second Highest point shall be an emplacement for one of my hellcannons, I plan on using these bits http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=576 piled up next to it to represent its ammo.

third highest, shall be my hobgoblin slavers complete with shackled slaves.

the lowest point shall include the bulk of the army, infernal guard marching alongside the irondeaemon towing a rocket. Along with my more recent hellcannon being led on by its hellsmiths.

This is pink insulation foam, that was cut with a soldering iron.

Here are some barrel which i sculpted. They will float in the toxic pool, to further enforce the whole polluted waste dump aspect of the darklands. They still need rims/bracing around them which will be added after a 24-32 hour period.

Abecedar:

It all looking very, very nice.   Do you have plans for adding a K’Daii Destroyer to your army?  

The board will look great, but here is an idea you may want to mull over before finishing it.

If you make the inner section of the toxic sludge pool as a removable insert it could then be a place for an emerging destroyer to be coming out of.  Also think about making a “blank” top for that bit and you’d have a place to put other models for when you run out of space on the rest of the board.

The “toxic pool hill” takes up what looks to be about an eigth of your available space and I always like the idea of versatility.

sam585:

Thank you for the concern Abecedar.

The top part of the hill can be swapped out, but this is only a side effect of me wanting to add a light effect to my toxic pool, and I am not running any destroyers or fireborn this season.

Additionally the toxic pool is large, but the valley below is also big enough to hold 40 hobgoblins, 30infernals, 2 trains, magma+rocket and one of my hellcannons, (the other is perched on the other hill). Which would be all it needs to hold for this season :slight_smile:

Abecedar:

You are already planning to create different tops you just don’t know it yet

sam585:

Suprisingly, when i took off the top I noticed that it looks like just another hill, so that is something. I just cant see how I could get a lava top to work though, since the pool at the the bottom is going to be toxic waste.

I could always just make 2 k’daii destroyer models. One actived for games  and one deactivated and behind hauled by a flat train bed by the iron daemon for the display board.

It would be super fluffy since K’daiis are just metal statues until battle, and then I don’t need to change anything :stuck_out_tongue:

Abecedar:

I don’t see why you couldn’t have your K’Daii fire demon, coming out of the toxic waste pool instead of the traditional lava pool.
It would just be another reason for it to be angry and toxic waste doesn’t have to be flammable.

Scar:

Im building a display board as well so im very curious how this is going to turn out!

Might nick some idea though if you’re ok with that ofc :smiley:

sam585:

nick away, If i did not want people borrowing/using my ideas I would not post anything :slight_smile:

EDITED for language

Zanthrax:

Great work on these keep the updates coming

sam585:

So the display board is painted, and pretty much fleshed out. Things missing are body parts in the crater, defensive stakes on one of the hills, slave train, waterfall, and then just some fun bits to give the whole thing more character. I have some yellow grass tufts placed about the edges where my army wont be present, I am going to keep the whole thing pretty sparse of vegetation I mean this is the darklands after all :slight_smile:

DAGabriel:

Great work and craftsmanship I admire even if that colorscheme isn`t one I would have chosen.

But you make it work and that is what counts. The toxic pool is a show.

Admiral:

Good look on the K’daai, Iron Daemon and scenery! You’ve achieved a gritty, industrial pollution style.