[Archive] 8th ed RH 2250 tournament list

Da Crusha:

I plan on using this list at a 60+ person Grand Tournament pretty soon. it has done ok during play testing, I got a 1st place in a 4 person tournament at a local game store. what do you guys think?

LORD
Sorcerer Lord 190 (320)
Lvl 4 Lore of Fire 35
Talisman of preservation 45
Ruby Ring of Ruin 25
Dispel Scroll 25

HEROS

Chaos Dwarf Hero 60 (116)
Heavy Armour 4, Shield 2
Ogre Blade 40
Dragon Helm 10

Chaos Dwarf Hero 60 (114)
Great Weapon 4
Armour of Gazrakh 30
Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the Cruel 20

Chaos Dwarf Hero 60 (130)
BSB 25
Armour of the furnace 45

Hobgoblin Hero 40 (89)
Great Weapon 4
Armour of silvered steel 45

CORE
25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield and Full Command (305)

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield and Full Command (305)

15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Blunderbuss, Heavy Armour and Musician (190)

15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Blunderbuss, Heavy Armour and Musician (190)

50 Hobgoblins with Champion and Musician (120)

SPECIAL

Bolt Thrower with 2 Hobgoblin crew (30)

Deathrocket with 2 Chaos Dwarf Crew with Heavy Armour (80)

RARE
Earthshaker with 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew with Heavy Armour (110)

LORD        320pts     (14%)      
HERO          449 pts     (20%)
CORE     1230 pts     (55%)
SPECIAL      140 pts     (6%)
RARE           110 pts     (5%)
TOTAL       2249 pts

evilduegar:

Looks solid. I dont know if I like the 2 units of 50 hobbgoblins. Maybe split one of the in 2 units of 25.

Rock Bottum:

drop 1 blunderbuss unit and make the other cd units bigger (30/30/20)

drop one hobgobbo for an extra earthshaker

Grinze:

25 warriors is way to few if you gonna use the horde rules for them since the unit this size will be spent in terms of effiacnzy after the first encounter of enemy unit.

May i ask why you picked the fire lore what is your plans with it ?

Baggronor:

With my Dwarfs, I’m really liking units of 24 Warriors, 6 wide. The extra width is well worth it for more damage. As you have no pricey elites (Hammerers, Ironbreakers etc) to worry about, I would try blocks of 30 Warriors. The key with these guys is: Reform! :slight_smile: Just because there are 30 of you, doesn’t mean you have to deploy as a Horde; as a rule of thumb, if your guys are better fighters, go Horde, otherwise go for a narrower frontage to keep Steadfast. Dwarf Warriors rock.

Try to get the BBs up to 20 or larger; they are pricey but the numbers are necessary in 8th. Also, remember BBs can move and fire, and can thus also make use of Swift Reforms.

I would put armour of Gaz on the BSB, its better protection overall against the majority of attacks. Maybe the Opal Amulet too?

I’m not sure the Ogre Blade guy is worth his points; for 116pts there are better buys imo, he can only kill 3 guys max per turn and has only medium protection (still T4 too, as its RH). I would actually prefer 3 Hobgob Heroes with great weapons :slight_smile:
Same goes for the Hobgob Hero with Armour of Silvered Steel; for the price of that armour you could just have another Hero. Its only a 2+ save, which isn’t worth 45pts imo.

Maybe a War Banner? I would also try to get the Banner of Eternal Flame on one of the BB units; that way they not only have flaming shooting (for those Drakenhoff bunkers) as well as melee attacks but also re-roll to wound vs enemies in buildings and cause fear in Cavalry and War Beasts. All for 10pts :slight_smile:

With the way things work now, a Taurus is so tempting; BCs are junk rules-wise now, so a Taurus is the only real heavy-hitter and a lvl2 with the Ruby Ring and a Scroll can do a perfectly good magic phase.

Also, I would consider Lore of Shadow; it is a tournament, there will be STanks. Perhaps try for another Rocket or Shaker too.

richard barby:

whats the set up on your tourny is it comp or take as hard as you can get away with

but what i think and sadly i dont have acess to a copy of the new rules yet so i dont know what the new items are like buti have plaied 4 games under 8th

keep lord as is and keep with fire but take a level 1 mage with lore of metal and take default spell if your playing a high armour list its a must stop spell no one wants to see there kinghts cooked inside there own armour. so hes going to draw out dispel dice or the one scroll. and if you have greater dice it means your lord can go first and not be dispeld or go second with nothing to stop them = win win. now if your at a tournie that lets you take 2 of the same rairs 2 earth shakers your emermy wont get to move very much if you roll well you can stop a m3 or m4 unit from closeing your blunderbbusses down and they can get more vollys at them.

now i dont remember if you can do it but if you can get spears on the hobgoblins being hordes i belive thats 4 ranks attacking also = win

richard barby:

what about a block of gits give them a horde and watch the poisen do its thing 30 or 40 of them

Xander:

I would also try to get the Banner of Eternal Flame on one of the BB units; that way they not only have flaming shooting (for those Drakenhoff bunkers) as well as melee attacks but also re-roll to wound vs enemies in buildings and cause fear in Cavalry and War Beasts. All for 10pts :)

Baggronor
From what I have read, the flaming attacks only apply to melee attacks, not shooting.  Check the Flaming attacks special rule.

Da Crusha:

Hey guys thanks for all the responses! well first off I have to say that the list can’t be changed for this tournament but don’t worry all of the advice can be applied to the next tournament in September. so the tournament does have rules for judging comp and they are actually quite clear. unfortunately I had to turn in the army list by midnight and I think I could have got a better comp score if I had tailored the list a bit (knocking off 20 points in characters and dropping a unit of blunderbuss … ouch).

Grinze: I’m not going to be using the horde rules with the Chaos dwarfs instead I plan on using Horde situationally and most likely only with the hobgoblins. The reason I picked Lore of Fire is, I like how most of the spells are capable of doing a lot of damage but I think I should’ve gone with shadow for pit of shades, purple sun scares me too much should I miscast x.x
metal is too situational for me and I play tested against brettonians with this list so I know we are capable of cracking their armour.

Baggroner: I know, I really wanted to spam Hobgobbo heros but I got 5 cd hero models and only one converted hg hero, so I used what I have. on the other hand I think it is too easy to gang up and kill a character without a lot of armour in 8th, that’s why I went with the silvered armour. my plan with the BSB is to keep him out of combat for the most part and his armour is “just in case”.  I wanted the armour of gazrakh on a fighty character that would be in the midst of combat, and occasionally bashing hobgobbos with his gauntlets :P. The banner of eternal flame sounds like it is definitely going in my list next time, and Ill consider a level 2 shadow wiz instead.

I havent read too much into monsters for 8th ed. How did the Great Taurus get better?

Richard Barby: yeah there is a comp score, I would post a link but it was attached in an email.

Xander: just checked flaming attacks in the BRB and it says a model with this special rule has both flaming shooting and close combat attacks.

Baggronor:

From what I have read, the flaming attacks only apply to melee attacks, not shooting. Check the Flaming attacks special rule.
It says unless stated otherwise, its melee and shooting. Armour-Piercing is default to melee only I believe (I was looking at that Armour-Pen banner for BBs too :)).
I havent read too much into monsters for 8th ed. How did the Great Taurus get better?
Thunderstomp; Vs normal-sized opponents you get an additional D6 hits at base Strength, ASL. Its very nice, potential total of 14 kills per turn from a Taurus Lord. Crown of Command makes him very tough to shift as well. Also he will be immune to all those flaming Dwarf war machines that are paranoid about Hydras :)
my plan with the BSB is to keep him out of combat for the most part and his armour is "just in case".
Ahh, ok. I automatically put mine in combat lol, its 7th ed syndrome :)

poutsma:

Da Crusha
Thunderstomp; Vs normal-sized opponents you get an additional D6 hits at base Strength, ASL. Its very nice, potential total of 14 kills per turn from a Taurus Lord. Crown of Command makes him very tough to shift as well. Also he will be immune to all those flaming Dwarf war machines that are paranoid about Hydras :)

Baggronor
Also, note that the +1 Large Target modifier has gone in 8th ed, making it harder to shoot the Great Taurus. On the other hand, true LoS has made it harder to hide.

Da Crusha:

ohh look what I just found in the BRB FAQ:

Q: If I kill a character but not their mount, do I score victory points
for just the character, the character and their mount, or must I kill
the mount too in order to score any victory points? (p143)
A: You must kill the character and his mount to score any
victory points.

This makes the Great Taurus even Greater!

Baggronor:

On the other hand, true LoS has made it harder to hide.
True, but being a Large Target meant it could only hide behind scenery anyway; while some scenery isn't large enough to obscure it, 8th encourages use of far more scenery than 7th, so hopefully it won't be too rough.

Da Crusha:

so the tournament was pretty fun, unfortunately I got only 2 wins and 3 losses. 2 of the losses were extremely close. a beastmen player had a super nasty minotaur unit worth 400 points plus a minotaur lord in it for over 900 points in one unit. well I got the unit down to one minotaur and the lord, and then on the last turn I cast a 3D6 fireball on it and did 13 hits, 6 on the minotaur, hoping for the win. My dice wiffed and I only caused one wound, if it did 3 which it should have statistically, I would have won the game, instead I took a loss. The other game was capture the hill scenario against ogres. I parked 100 hobgoblins on it and then over an extremely bloody battle only 5 ogres stood on the hill. up until turn 5 I thought I had won and then 6th turn the cd unit on it got to combat and was broken by iron guts, a tyrant and a bruiser.

here is a link to the results of the tournament

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/edogtothemoon/My%20Chaos%20Dwarves/?action=view¤t=SAWS2010.jpg

There was another chaos dwarf player there, I placed 27th

I think after play testing the list some more Im definitely going to follow baggroner’s advice and give the armour of ghazrakh to the BSB, every game he saw uncomfortably too much combat. and Ill probably do something different with the cd hero with the ogre blade, maybe remove him. most likely Ill take a different lore next time. Lore of fire worked well but sometimes It wouldve been nice to lower enemy statistics with lore of shadow.

The other chaos dwarf player at the tournament brought 2 Level 1 Lore of fire wizards, 3 blunderbuss units of 20, 2 X 50 strong hobgobbo units(not too sure about their equipment) BC hero bsb, BC Armour of ghaz and great weapon (I think) 2 units 20 cd’s with GW’s. 2 deathrockets, 1 earthshaker, 2 bolt throwers

Gar Shadowfame:

ihow was ur magic, did u managed to cast many spells with this set up or was ur magic succesfuly blocked?

Da Crusha:

oh Yeah my magic got through often enough. well, my opponents always generated less dispel dice than I got power dice so spells were bound to get through.

Gar Shadowfame:

i see, i sometimes use combo with cheap lvl 1 mage and item that gives D6 power dices onec per game at the cost of D3 wounds, sacrificing poor wizard most of the times :stuck_out_tongue:

Da Crusha:

hmm thats an interesting strategy, is that a common magic item? sounds a bit too nasty for me.

Gar Shadowfame:

yes i think its wand of jet or something, its rly usefull if u roll 4 or 3 on winds of magic as opponent has 1-2 dispeldices vs your potential 9-10, only problem is to have this wizard cheap enough, i find gobbo shaman or scaven perfect for that

Da Crusha:

LORD
Sorcerer Lord 190 (305)
Lvl 4 Lore of Shadow 35
Talisman of preservation 45
Power Scroll 35

HEROS

Chaos Dwarf Sorc 65 (90)
Lvl 1 Lore of Fire
Dispel Scroll 25

Chaos Dwarf Hero 60 (114)
Great Weapon 4
Armour of Gazrakh 30
Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the Cruel 20

Chaos Dwarf Hero 60 (135)
BSB 25
Armour of silvered steel 45
Luckstone 5

Hobgoblin Hero 40 (46)
Heavy Armour 4
shield 2

CORE

20 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Blunderbuss, Heavy Armour, standard (Banner of eternal flame) and Musician (270)

SPECIAL
34 sneaky gits with standard and musician (190)

Deathrocket with 2 Chaos Dwarf Crew with Heavy Armour (80)

RARE
Earthshaker with 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew with Heavy Armour (110)

lords 305
heros 385
core 1120
special 330
rare 110
TOTAL 2250 pts

I took away some of my fighty characters and a unit of blunderbuss and added a the banner of eternal flame and another rank of blunderbuss to the other unit . I also put in a fire wizard so that I can fireball some stuff. I wanted to pump up my warrior units to 30 models each but I forgot to add in the points and just realized it right now. the biggest change I did was put in the sneaky gits and these guys will be deployed in horde formation, so against a frontage of five they would have a frontage of 7 and get 29 Poisoned attacks, it feels like it has a lot of potential, tell me what you guys think.