[Archive] 8th ed rules question: "Special Weapons"

Fallen246:

Basically, the 8th ed rulebook states:

"If a model carries a special close combat weapon, he must fight with it in the close combat phase - he cannot elect to wield his hand weapon instead."

Now, obviously, I can tell this prevents my Dark Elf Executioners from using their hand weapon for S4 Killing Blow rather than S6 Killing Blow that strikes last.

BUT say I have a unit of Dark Elf Spearmen, with spears hand weapon and shield. Am I right to assume that, because the spear is listed as a special weapon, am I therefore unable to use a hand weapon and shield to claim the parry save instead of using a spear and shield?

Cheers in advance

Shakhorth:

Basically, the 8th ed rulebook states:

"If a model carries a special close combat weapon, he must fight with it in the close combat phase - he cannot elect to wield his hand weapon instead."

Now, obviously, I can tell this prevents my Dark Elf Executioners from using their hand weapon for S4 Killing Blow rather than S6 Killing Blow that strikes last.

BUT say I have a unit of Dark Elf Spearmen, with spears hand weapon and shield. Am I right to assume that, because the spear is listed as a special weapon, am I therefore unable to use a hand weapon and shield to claim the parry save instead of using a spear and shield?

Cheers in advance

Fallen246
Exactly, a spear is a 'special' weapon and has to be used. Only if something happens to the special weapons (like a spell that destroys them), you may fall back to the hand weapons. So no parry save for spearmen.

Neil:

What happens with Lances? In the Lance entry it says that after the first round of combat models must revert to using a hand weapon. If you have a magic weapon you must use it. So what happens in the second round of combat if you are armed with a magical lance (lets say dreadlance, which auto-hits)?

Servius:

I would say that the effects are lost from how you worded it Neil… I would have to check the book specifically but if it says that in later rounds you do indeed use your hand weapon then you do… as the dread lance is a lance after all and must follow its rules in addition to its magical effects.

Shakhorth:

What happens with Lances? In the Lance entry it says that after the first round of combat models must revert to using a hand weapon. If you have a magic weapon you must use it. So what happens in the second round of combat if you are armed with a magical lance (lets say dreadlance, which auto-hits)?

Neil
See page 501 8th edition rulebook.
"Unless otherwise stated, a magic weapon is treated as a hand weapon, and follows the rules as such, with the following exceptions:

*A magic weapon cannot be used alongside an additional hand weapon to gain an extra attack.

*A magic weapon cannot be used alongside a shield to gain a parry save."

If it clearly states it's a 'special' weapon, like a lance, it follows the 'special' weapon rules for that weapon.
So if you character has the Dreadlance, he would auto-hit on the turn he charges and then falls back to a normal hand weapon.
So yes magic lances are only good on the charge.

If he was wielding a magical great weapon, he'd still strike last and gain +2 strength unless the item says otherwise.

Neil:

Well, that’s worth knowing. Bit of a nerf for Brettonian characters though…