[Archive] 8th ed WH in Sept 2010

Grimstonefire:

After asking one of the more reliable posters on Warseer when 8th ed would come out, he said:

New rulebook july 2010, new starter box in september 2010. You can bet a decent amount of money on that.

Avian
What does this mean then for Chaos Dwarfs???

By my calculation there are 7 existing armies yet to be done for 7th ed:

Lizardmen (march/ april 2009)

Skaven (rumoured as 2009)

Beasts of Chaos (rumoured as 2009)

Tomb Kings

Bretonnia

Wood Elves

Ogre Kingdoms

(edit: I don’t know if this is the order they are due out, but it seems logical)

If GW were to release one WH army every 3 months (1 per quarter, as they have been doing), these releases alone would take us through to summer/ autumn 2010.  So I hate to say it, but I doubt we’ll see Warhammer Armies:  Chaos Dwarfs in 7th ed… :frowning:

However, there may well be a chance we’d see them in christmas 2010 as the first release for 8th ed.  Which would still be about 9 months earlier than I had anticipated.

Another possibility is them upping the WH armies per year for one year, which is unlikely considering the cost of doing CD.

snowblizz:

I don’t know. It sounds a bit early to me. Yeah it would be 4 years, and 4th ed 40k had a 4 year run but still. Is there really that much wrong with the rule that they need to change them? Or rather would they be able to fix the fundamental problem i.e. they write too sloppy.

I can foresee the “GW wants to sell more books” argument but a new edition is fairly expensive to develop with all the trappings. Would they really do it without a serious need for it? Now a new starter set, why not? There’s no universal law that says you must keep a starter set around for a whole edition/make a new edition for each starter set or something. Make a new one with different content so we have something to choose from. Not all of us had any interest in BFSP. I mean Dwarfs and Goblins… yuck…

minty:

I highly doubt there will eb a new edition so soon, as the warhammer 4th ed had a short run due to complaints they recieved.

PS: Avian is using the ‘if they relese a new army every three months then the rulebook will be’ formula, rather than actual rumour

Kera foehunter:

what about the dow army !! i also heard there working om them too.

well maybe the should just out books out for the eighth add

there just to many new figures out there now!!!

slev:

before LotR, they where on a 4-year release cycle for the core games. Now they don’t have to update LotR annunaly, they’re back on 4 years.

The newer additions of WFB are now only to clean-up & tweak the rules, and to update the non-rules stuff. I’d not expect to see any big changes between 7th & 8th ed WFB. The army books will carry on regardless.

Obsidian:

I bet the Chaos Dwarfs will be in the starter box!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

furrie:

that would be so cool

slev:

Verses who though?

Ideally an army in need of a big refresh by 2010, who would be in the right area to fight the CDs, “good” (i.e. less selfish), and stylistically different.

Oh, and definitely not Dwarfs.

Ogres could be interesting, Empire would be plausible, as would a proper Kislev army…

Willmark:

Raining on the parade here but 2010 seems a bit early to me. More likely a year later at the earliest. But then again what does any of us know.

If this does turn out to be true then it truly is time to starting storming the ramparts as it were. To me the line is 7th edition, if we aren’t in it GW is never going to do it.

So what do I mean by that? We go from the largely passive efforts to becoming very agressive until we get a list.

To reiterate, 7th edition is the final straw. I for one will not be mollified with promises or even vague speak of “next year”.

I’ve been assembling a list of tactics that will be useful. Basically I’m not letting this go without a fight. If anyone doubts, you haven’t seen me pissed off, GW doesn’t want to see it either.

This is my hobby, I enjoy it, by the same token I’m not letting GW off the hook. Basically if it comes down to it, they are going to be sick about hearing of the cause of Chaos Dwarfs.

Never underestimate the power of one pissed off customer, I’ll be watching GW…

two_heads_talking:

well, there are still 40k armies that haven’t been updated for 4th edition when 5th edition was released… So, it’s not a hard stretch to think there will be armies not updated for 7th edition when 8th edition is released…

I hold out hope that CD’s will be updated… Shoot, I’d just like an updated list, they don’t even need to do anything more than give us a pdf that we pay to download… they lose nothing on printing at all. In fact, I’m going to talk to someone about that.

Thommy H:

To me the line is 7th edition, if we aren't in it GW is never going to do it.
Why not? GW publishes supplements in a continuous cycle: it's not like 8th Edition will be released and then they have to do all the other armies before they can get round to Chaos Dwarfs again. It's that same "Ogres/Daemons took our spot!" myth. It just doesn't work that way. If they want to do it and they can persuade the higher-ups it can make money then Chaos Dwarfs will happen. And if they don't or can't then no amount of canvassing is going to make it happen.

Willmark:

more like me ranting Thommy, not a fun morning so far.

two_heads_talking:

Hey Willmark, put my shoes on for a week or two. You’ll be singing dixie and slapping your knee when you get back in yours… LOL

Lord Zarkov:

To me the line is 7th edition, if we aren't in it GW is never going to do it.
Why not? GW publishes supplements in a continuous cycle: it's not like 8th Edition will be released and then they have to do all the other armies before they can get round to Chaos Dwarfs again. It's that same "Ogres/Daemons took our spot!" myth. It just doesn't work that way. If they want to do it and they can persuade the higher-ups it can make money then Chaos Dwarfs will happen. And if they don't or can't then no amount of canvassing is going to make it happen.

Thommy H
Empire and O&G will probs get redone immidiatly though as they are always done so, I would expect the leftovers from 6th to get an update as well.

Willmark:

O&G is a done deal to be redone; the power creep of this edition has shown they are bit behind now.

Empire in the box? That would not suprise me.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

way to early as there aren’t as many problems with this ed

cornixt:

2010 is far too early. I don’t think there are any major problems with 7th edition rules (although some of the armies, maybe) and the rulebooks aren’t really money makers. Remember that Dwarfs had two army books in 6th edition, so they could easily stick in an O&G update. I’d be surprised to see 8th edition before 2012.

wallacer:

2010?? Hell, I hope not. That feels way too soon.

Kera foehunter:

lol i can fit in all your guys shoes, but lets see you guys walk in high heels!!

i have to wait and see, but any way lets see some fire works willmark!!!

snowblizz:

lol i can fit in all your guys shoes, but lets see you guys walk in high heels!!

Kera foehunter
Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to see that.
Reminds me of that one time I went to a RPG/LARP/Warhammer/etc convention. "Wait 'til you see the manga chicks", my friends told me. And boy were they interesting, especially the tall one in the front, high heels, French maid uniform, the works. Legs that went all the way. Of course by the time they got close enough to see properly I realised the chick up front had a beard. Got to give credit where it is due. That guy had balls for sure. I would not spend an entire weekend dressed as a manga character. High heels or not! I'm still balancing the line between "eeewww, gross" and "whoa, that guy is serious" years later.