[Archive] 8th Edition Warhammer and CD?

Grimstonefire:

It has been rumoured for a bit that 8th Edition warhammer will be out in mid 2010.

We can all speculate whether we think CD will be making an appearance in 8th, but do you think their role in the actual rulebook will change?

At the moment all they get is a paragraph in the back, along with the other armies that are so far beyond GW plans that they don’t even say they want to do them (unlike CD).

So will they move them to have a smaller section than the rest, but an ‘official’ slot alongside the others?  Or will they keep them at the back unchanged?

I’m still hoping for early-mid 2011, which would mean if they released the rulebook based only on the current armies and then released CD a year later they would miss it completely until 9th ed 3 years later.

So will this be an indicator of commitment/ support by GW?

Or am I reading too much into it and they will only ever base the big sections on currently available armies?

Groznit Goregut:

So, you think that Chaos Dwarfs will come out in 8th? Or do you think they will appear at the tail end of 7th? GW is speeding up the rate at which army books are released. So, they are either cranking out Editions faster, or they are creating room to push in a few other army books. I hope that it is the latter and they make Chaos Dwarfs.

Shouldn’t this type of thread be used in the Rumor Speculation thread?

Swissdictator:

I still think we’re a few years out yet from a new edition.

I’m thinking we’ll be on the trailing end of 7th.

It is possible with 8th they could do what they did with 6th… void the books and have everyone operating out of the rulebook or something until updated… with a few books right out of the gate.

wallacer:

Given GW’s financial position and the economic outlook more broadly i’m not sure if they’d be willing to risk doing CDs any time soon.

I have heard from a source I trust, though, that GW have sounded out Forgeworld about what Bull Centaurs ought to look like, so who knows? Maybe GW will surprise us like they did with Ogres.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

OH NO! Not another rule change! LOL!

GIVE US THE CD!

BilboBaggins:

It is possible with 8th they could do what they did with 6th... void the books and have everyone operating out of the rulebook or something until updated... with a few books right out of the gate.

swissdictator
Unless they changed their stated policy they will not put out a rulebook that voids the books currently in publication. They stated that when 7th Edition came out.
Given GW's financial position and the economic outlook more broadly i'm not sure if they'd be willing to risk doing CDs any time soon.

I have heard from a source I trust, though, that GW have sounded out Forgeworld about what Bull Centaurs ought to look like, so who knows?  Maybe GW will surprise us like they did with Ogres.

wallacer
I'm hoping for a surprise, but with GW I don't hold out hope of a surprise. If they were going to put out a book will they do plenty of playtesting (Like I've been hearing rumors about Skaven really being play tested) it would help to have Chaos Dwarf players in the playtesting mix.

Kera foehunter:

well i still have hope !! I think they will put out a piece or two before they launch a whole

army. Sorta like a new plastic hell canon first

Obsidian:

As usual every speculation about Chaos Dwarfs is mostly ‘wishful thinking’ I’m affraid.

Nowadays I just think: when I see it, I’ll believe it! :wink:

slev:

Given GW’s mode of opperation:

40K and WFB each have new editions out every four years, with two years between each “Core Game” launch.

The speed of book releases is now faster because they are no longer having to replace entire ranges of models, or even sizeable chunks of the range, every time the release a new book. They do release a few things, and re-package some others. This is much quicker than the old way or releasing a whole army. The new staggered release system also helps with this, along with helping keep the gamers more engaged with new releases.

New editions of the game are generally designed to tweak the existing rules where problems have arisen or where something was over/under powered, and to combine errata. The last few army books/codices before the release of a new edition is designed with that edition in mind to ensure forward compatibility.

2010 is the right time for 8th edition, and if they are intending to put out a “new” army, the boxed release would be a good way to do it.

Of course I dream of it being CD Vs Cathay…

two_heads_talking:

Given GW's mode of opperation:

40K and WFB each have new editions out every four years, with two years between each "Core Game" launch.

slev
4-6 years.. Depending.. I think most recently it was 4 years in between, but it was 6 years in between 5th ed-6th ed fantasy and 3rd ed-4th ed 40k

Willmark:

If and that is a big if: we are the last army for 7th. I highly doubt that GW kicks off 8th with Chaos Dwarfs.

If we don’t make it into 7th then we go on the offensive, so far we have been patient. If we ate not in 7th then the gloves are off.

Ubertechie:

I worry that if we dont make it in the 7th edition we wont make it all - I think there is good evidence for the intent of GW to re-do CD especially all of the Phil Kelly army book mentions of them and i think that us doing all we can to promote them and convince them that there is a market for the models can only make their decision easier.

Fingers crossed and BTW as anyone forwarded a printed copy of Word Of Hashut to Jervis Jonson ? If not I am more than happy to print a high quality copy and do so

BilboBaggins:

I’ll keep showing up at GW playing the Chaos Dwarfs.

They have to see the reactions the army gets every time it’s on the table.

I’m thinking of making one of the banners say www.chaos-dwarfs.com.

two_heads_talking:

your link is busted bilbo…

BilboBaggins:

your link is busted bilbo....

two_heads_talking
That's funny, I thought I typed it right. Opps, missed an S. fixed now. why did you hit the link since you were already on the site. :o

two_heads_talking:

I thought you had a picture of the banner in a special place and had abbreviated the link…

BilboBaggins:

I haven’t had the time to design it yet.

Grimstonefire:

I would be extremely surprised if we made it at the tail end of 7th.  IF GW plans budgets over each quarter they would want to save up money for the new release.

TK, OK, Brets and WE should all allow some money to be ‘saved’ on the WHFB side, so I don’t think we’ll see CD until both OK and WE have been done.  Both of these will skip 7th I believe.

If GW do plan to release them early (mid 2011) they will already have enough concept art to make a proper section for the CD like the other armies.

@Groznit

Sadly I don’t have any rumours to post about this, so I thought we could just give our opinions for now.

Kera foehunter:

im saying mid sept.!! this year!!

Swissdictator:

Kera, may Hashut be with us and prove you right. I’d love that.

I won’t hold my breath though.