[Archive] A different take on the list

Grimstonefire:

Well, a different idea for a list combining ideas I’ve had in many places.

The idea is that it reflects a much more diverse empire better.��

I’m not presenting this as finished in any way, but I would be curious to see what people thought of the concept of the supporting list.��Whether its just impossible, or if there is a way to make this wok?

It may appear that I’ve just doubled the list, but when you look at it its quite restrictive really.��The biggest problem IMO is the number of pages that would be needed to describe the rules for all these.

CORE

HOBGOBLINS.��In this list you cannot ever have more than 3 units.��Two units of Wolf riders (+1 hobgoblin infantry) narrows down that potential advantage a lot, and places the emphasis a lot more on warriors and blunderbussers.

SPECIAL

The idea behind taking 2 special slots is not to represent that they’re really strong, just that they are more rare than you would find as a special choice.

So these units would just be there for variety really.

RARE

Putting the Hellcannon here is simple really as its 2 rare anyway.��Keeping the Collossus here keeps it very rare, but still in the list.��

LORD

Overlord (CD Lord)

High Sorcerer

HERO

Despot (CD Hero)

Sorcerer

Arcane Engineer

Priest

CORE

Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Blunderbussers

Monsters and Mercenaries

SPECIAL

Immortals

Brotherhood of Hashut��(think religious longbeards with halberds)

Berserkers

Rocketeers

Battleragers (aka Iron Golems)

Monsters and Mercenaries

RARE

Bull Centaurs

Earthshaker

Monsters and Mercenaries

Monsters and Mercenaries

The Chaos Dwarfs rule an empire like no other; hundreds of tribes and mercenaries can be called upon to march to war at any time.��As befitting such a diverse army, these units can be taken in varying numbers.

You cannot use up more choices than are allowed by the army list limitations.

CORE

Up to 3 units may be taken, these will not count towards the minimum units required.��

* Hobgoblin infantry.��(Unit size 10+)

* Sneaky Gits (requires a unit of regular Hobgoblin Infantry) (Unit size 10+)

* Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (requires a unit of regular Hobgoblin Infantry) (Unit size 5+)

SPECIAL

Up to 2 units may be taken.��Each counts as two Special choices.

* Slave Ogres (0-1) Unit size (5+)

* Fire Bombers.��Skirmishing unit with flaming bombs they throw (Unit Size 10-20)

* Slavers.��Chaos Dwarf Scouts armed with 2 pistols.��(Unit Size 10-20)

* Soul Reaper��(daemonic ‘cannon’)

RARE

Up to 1 unit may be taken.��

* Chaos Dwarf Hellcannon (2 rare choices)

* Collossus (2 rare and 1 special)��350 points etc

* Dogs of War

Arlon:

sounds pretty good

any playtesting

Revlid:

RARE Monsters and Mercenaries - surely they’re just 0-1 Rare Choices?

SPECIAL Monsters and Mercenaries:

Slavers and Firebombers look like they could be combined quite easily.

Slave Ogres are largely redundant with the presence of the Iron Golems - and Unit Size 5+?!

Why not just make the Soul Reaper a regular unit?

CORE Monsters and Mercenaries:

Hobgoblins of all Stripes… If you want the Chaos Dwarf Warriors to play a larger role, simply have them 0-1 per unit of Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

All in all this seems a little, well, overcomplicated. Especially with GW’s current policy of “simplification” and “no 0-1”.

That said, I like the list, and it is composed mainly of the better concepts of those Chaos Dwarf lists being bandied around - likely as a result of the core of its highly professional development over on the chaszwerge boards. :hat off

I’m also interested to know the difference between the Sorcerer and Priest - I’ve always seen them as one and the same.

Grimstonefire:

No the idea I had was effectively to introduce a DOW entry in Core, Special AND Rare.��Not just in rare.

I know it would make them unique in the warhammer rules, but then perhaps this sort of wackyness would make our list more flexible?

Maybe unfairly so, maybe not.

That said, I like the list, and it is composed mainly of the better concepts of those Chaos Dwarf lists being bandied around - likely as a result of the core of its highly professional development over on the chaszwerge boards.
Said a few times before in different places, but I do intend to finish that as a pdf soon (like in the next 2 months).��I recently asked who was still interested in helping to finish and there’s still about 5 of us. All we lack is someone prepared to load it all on adobe.��I will hopefully be getting adobe standard 8 soon so I can create all the pdf’s I want.

Anyhow.��I know it sounds big headed but the list our group worked on, and I wrote most of the fluff for, is still the only ‘complete’ CD revision I’ve seen.��Thats working art, fluff and rules together.��Explaining how it all fits together with common themes across everything (why X unit exists, what part it plays in society, progressions and important events etc).��

So the sooner I finish it the better.��Problem is that my views on things are always evolving. There are still bits that don’t sit well with me. Like my idea to replace the hobgoblins.�� Sometimes you spend so long trying to stay away from rehashing the RH list into a new form that you loose track of what the iconic parts of the list actually are.
I’m also interested to know the difference between the Sorcerer and Priest - I’ve always seen them as one and the same.
My idea stems from this…

There are two paths a zealous Dawi Zharr can take.��Both start with the same thing in common.��A DZ joins the Brotherhood of Hashut, either one of the major Cults, or one of the many un-named ones.

They progress up through the ranks:

(some low level name)

Brother

Prophet

At this point they have a choice.��Either they undertake training to become a sorcerer, or they choose the path of the Priest.��The progression then becomes:

Sorcerer

High Sorcerer

OR

Priest

High Priest.��There is only ever one High Priest per Cult.

Sorcerers are aloof and solitary.��They spend their days improving their magical abilities, reading ancient tomes and also taking a key role in leading clans as a whole at the highest levels.��On the battlefield they would fight as individuals, not really connected to what else is happening on the battlefield.

Priests are true leaders; inspirational to all common CD because they are trained to do so.��They would lead the DZ in prayer, running monasteries and generally living the life of a monk.��They would support the DZ, both on the battlefield and off it.��In battle they would aid their kin to fight better, to slow their enemy etc.��They would be somewhere in the middle between a sorcerer and a hero profile wise.��

So that is the key difference.��The sorcerers are highly destructive in their magic, the Priests support by aiding the troops, or hindering the enemy.��The fluff is as above, but effectively its the same idea as an Empire Wizard and Warrior Priest.

Makes me think there should be a High Priest as a Lord level choice??��Might get a War Altar in there after all!!! :wink:

Hobgoblyn:

CORE Monsters and Mercenaries:
Hobgoblins of all Stripes... If you want the Chaos Dwarf Warriors to play a larger role, simply have them 0-1 per unit of Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

Revlid
I've come to favor the idea of minimizing the role of Hobgoblins as part of the Chaos Dwarf army in favor of pushing them towards their own army rules. In order to fully be expanded in terms of abilities, powers and specialties, Hobgoblins would have to take up so much space in the Chaos Dwarf army list that it would leave very little room left for Chaos Dwarfs.

In short, instead of having a crippled 'Hobgoblin Army' that is forced to lug around Chaos Dwarf Lords, Heroes and Core, it would be better to play a Hobgoblin army to play a Hobgoblin army.

hal:

I like the idea of rocketeers, any ideas for rules? I’m pretty sure that something like that has been posted before.

What sort of monsters would you be considering for the special choices? ogres?

Grimstonefire:

There’s some rules for Rocketeers in the link in my sig. :slight_smile:

I will start a new thread I think to ask about including another race in our list.