[Archive] A New Contest Idea from MH

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Would you guys and girls be interested in a contest in which you made a You-Tube video and the best video won a prize from Monster Hobbies? Just giving out the thought to see where it lands…no entry fee this time…more details to follow! :hat off

(Right now I’m looking for “Yes” or “No”.)

Hashut’s Blessing:

It would depend - is it just make a Youtube video or is it a video with a specific theme, set of rules or aim?

More info on the thoughts for the competition would give people a more informed response :wink:

Bolg:

I think yes. but I need guidelines

G.2:

I would need more information. If it involved putting my ugly mug (face) in front of the camera, then I wouldn’t be interested. If it involved soemthing “creative”, then I would be very interested.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, I’m thinking of an online contests that would showcase the contestant’s model kits as well as say something about my store/web site in the video. Appart from that, I haven’t even “filled in the blanks” in my own head yet! :smiley:

But as far as video content, time, etc…I’m not there yet.

I am thinking something fun to film along the lines of contestants showing their model kits and something linked with Monster Hobbies. Maybe a video @ 30 seconds - 60 seconds long with the Monster Hobbies name, web site or logo linked in the video in some way. I still have to think of a subject and so on and so on.

Right now it’s just an “Initial Idea” in my head with no real 100% “laid in stone” plan. The contest could be about your favorite product or whatever that we sell on our web site, like Testors Gold Enamel, for example. Could also do some form of quick stop-motion War Report using your models. Maybe a quick war story or a story about a car drag race. It could also be a photo slide show or some form of song you wrote, or your little brother playing with his action figures. Or your Aunt Bertha’s new nose ring! (or maybe not!) There’s a billion ideas, it’s hard to pick just one!

However, in all seriousness, I’m actually thinking of opening this up as a world-wide contest and I’m hoping for some videos in different languages…but we’ll see. It’s not really a contest about “Language”, but more about the visual - what I (And other people) can see. For example, if your first language is German, but English is your second language, then make the video in German.

At this point, I actually just want to see something creative and the MH store mentioned.

If this works out well enough, I might do another with a different subject. Time will tell. For now, it’s just an idea.

Hashut’s Blessing:

For me, it depends on the fineprint (I.E. Only the winner’s video can be used for advertising. If they so wish to list it as a credit, they can do so

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Actually, I have a good idea here…how about a contest in which you create a “Tips and Tech” short video for the web site. Surely, as we are all model builders, we MUST have at least 1 tip we can share.

For example, how about showing us a quick 1-2 minute demo of using Green Stuff or Dry-brushing, or even how to use a hobby knife.

These videos can then be linked from the MH web site to your You-Tube channel and vice/versa. This way everyone can help the web store by giving it some Tip and Tech videos that will always stay up there, and the best video or idea will gain a prize. Also, you will get credited for your video and forever have your name at the MH site.

The best, most well thought out video wins a nice set of tools and paints from Monster Hobbies. (and possibly some other promo stuff and what-not.)

How’s that sound?

Nicodemus:

If it weren’t for the fact that I a) hate the sound of my own voice, b) don’t want to be recognized in a video, c) have unatrractive hands and d) have no idea how to make a decent quality video other than pointing with my camera while it’s on the video camera setting and hitting record, I’d be all in :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need the right sort of bloke to make a video with all of those tidbits in it, or better still just link to all of the existing videos that are out there, when pick and choose which ones you want to highlight and get someone to do one of those that you can also stick advertising it.

~N

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Yeah…but that takes the “Fun” out of it as a contest.

LumpinCroop:

I think this is a good idea. Youtube would be one way of reaching a broader audience and maybe getting new players interested.

zobo1942:

I think you should make a series of shorts (inspired by ‘The Guild’) broadcast via YouTube, highlighting Monster Hobbies.

For example, you could have episodes with plots like:

“How to express your demented power fantasies without going to prison”

“I stole from the collection plate to buy my new Bloodthirster”

“Cosplay: Dressing up as a 1950s monster can spice up your relationship”

“Model Trains are fun, but only when they derail”

“My Pastor said D&D was the work of the devil - so I made a voodoo doll of him and kicked it in the groin”

"Cthulhu. 'Nuff said"

The possibilities for fun are endless!!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

LOL @ Zobo!

Actually, I was thinking of doing multiple contests as time progressed.