[Archive] A question of hats!

ErikinWest:

Hey guys! I’ve decided that I’m going to get back into warhammar. I’m waiting till school starts to see what my work load will be like, but I’m trying to prepare now. Since Chaos Dwarfs have always been in my heart, I could only ever truly build their army. For my theme, I’m going for a Russian/Soviet theme. The flags and symbols will be a powerful red, and the CD will be a blackish colour to create contrast. I can always read and write a little Russian, so adding some Cyrillic text will look pretty cool.

I’ve decided to go for the BFSP and try to covert them. I’ve decided I’ll leave my goblins as is, but want to do something with the CD. I definitely want to do something with the beards (and thanks to Xander’s videos, it makes it easier!). I’m skipping on the armor, as it was never important for me.

But I have no idea how to approach the hats. I’ve never used green stuff, and I’m probably not much of a sculptor. Does anyone have an economic and simple way of giving my dwarfs hats, and satisfying my natural CD urge?! I saw some people use a marauder drum, but that might work for a few heroes, but it’s not cheap enough for a whole army!

Ok thanks for any comments or suggestions, it’s greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Erik

Dracomancer:

For my theme, I'm going for a Russian/Soviet theme.

ErikinWest
In Soviet Russia, Dwarf paints YOU! :P
Anyway, for hats, one thing you could try is styrene, just do a google search for "Evergreen scale model stores", and if you live in the UK, add a "uk" on the end so you don't get screwed over by postage and packaging, to show you what I mean, heres a link: Linkage, if you do order some, then the trick with strene is to score it lightly with a blade and then just snap it off, don't try to cut throiugh all in one go or you'll probably damage it, oh and don't use scissors, it make seem like a good idea, but there's no quicker way to cock up the styrene, hope this helps and good luck with whatever option you choose :cheers.

clam:

About hats try and have a look at HotStuffs hats and beards guide. You’ll find it here at HoH. He use a straw and a push pin and it looks quite easy!

catbarf:

That’s actually very good- I keep looking for things to make hats out of, and pens seem too fat but straws look great! Now I just need enough pushpins!

The Soviet theme was actually done before, I remember a link on the GW website. Does anyone still have that link?

ErikinWest:

Thanks for the hat guide! Wow, that’s simple, easy, and economical! I assume that the piece of straw won’t affect the paint (after I put primer on it). Oh and yes, I know the army your talking about. However, I have had the idea for a while now, and my army will look nothing like the other one.

Cheers!

Erik

torn:

i use the kind of noticeboard pins that you usually get in the packs with drawing pins and paper clips. they are a little fat round the buttom but that can easily be cut off, the helmet is sliced off, a small hole is drilled, the pin is snipped to a reasonable size and glue with the pinhole keeping it in place, then greenstuff is used to add the details.

some on the non cylindrical hats i did (copying of 5th edition style as they had some deviation) were pure green stuff sculpts. just do the basic shape you want first then gradually add detail. great to see another hatter!

catbarf:

I assume that the piece of straw won't affect the paint (after I put primer on it).

ErikinWest
I don't know, but I'd recommend you either fill the hat with GS or at least coat it in superglue to get rid of the bendiness. If it bends, the paint is going to crack.

Dracomancer:

I assume that the piece of straw won't affect the paint (after I put primer on it).

ErikinWest
I don't know, but I'd recommend you either fill the hat with GS or at least coat it in superglue to get rid of the bendiness. If it bends, the paint is going to crack.

catbarf
I've tried using straws for a piece of scenery, and one thing you would have to do is dip the straw in superglue or fill the inside with wood putty or GS, otherwise it will bend at some point, and when it does, paint will come off...

Immortal, Whoo!

catbarf:

I've tried using straws for a piece of scenery, and one thing you would have to do is dip the straw in superglue or fill the inside with wood putty or GS, otherwise it will bend at some point, and when it does, paint will come off...

Dracomancer
How do you dip them in superglue? Won't it all dry up?
Immortal, Whoo!

Dracomancer
Only in Kenya...?