[Archive] A STEP TOO FAR! PLEASE REPLY

Cygnusmaximus:

I remember the first “multipart/multipose” regiment boxes that GW released that went for $20 US and came with metal command bits rather than a command sprue. Though these original boxes only came with 16 figures (rather than 19-20) the price was very reasonable. I’ll be the first to admit that quality of casts and the number of extras has increased but not at the same rate as the price.
While I agree that the cost of building an army has become ridiculous, I think the actions of AGPO are a little off the mark. Asking GW to stop producing 10 figure boxes will not help the situation as they already produce said boxes and a “standard” size from army to army seems to be a good idea. The other sad fact is that people like everyone here actually PAY the prices that GW has set, and almost all will continue to pay when they go up again, and again, and again. The place to appeal to GW is not with the number of gamers that still make purchases but are angry about prices, but with potential/ex gamers that WOULD if the cost wasn’t so high. If a 10% reduction in price brings a 30% increase in profits, GW will do it - guaranteed. The trouble is showing them that it would be in their financial interest to do so.
I’ve thought quite a lot about it and have considered putting together a petition or questionaire for people to take around to their old gaming buddies/potential gaming buddies who are not currently in the hobby in an attempt to show GW the potential buyers that are not in the hobby due to bad choices with pricing. The way I see it, if the numbers are fairly significant, GW would be more willing to make the changes to bring these people and their money back into the hobby.
Now, as GW is a worldwide company, the number of questionaires and petitions needed to show significant increase in profits from a price decrease would be quite huge. As I have a two month old daughter and a heavy work-load I don’t have the time to tackle such a huge project, though I think it is the only way to get a little relief for our bank accounts.
If anyone thinks this would work, feel free to tackle it - I’ll put what little time I have for the hobby into helping in whatever way I can.

Khaosbeardling:

My enthusiasm aside, what Cyg is saying makes a huge amount of sense. Showing GW the opportunity cost they are setting aside just for an increase in price all around. I think this could truly work, but we’d have to spread this to all the hobby sites we can, in an organized way. I might be willing to take the time to spread it to all the sites in the WAR VAULT if someone can think up a presentable way to hand this out to them all. I’m willing to put some effort into this, if I can get some help from others too. Let’s see what we can do, Chosen of Hashut!

LLV:

A nice way(what i have started doing - although dont knowif theyre being read) everytime I make a non-GW purchase I email them and tell them.

It is one thing sending GW a letter saying you are unhappy, but its another beast entirely when they see hundreds of dollars going to competition.

its better for GW for people just to stop buying ‘toy soldier’ they still keep their market share in a %

If you buy from their competition and show them, it highlights money their losing.

If enough people did this I believe it would have an impact.