[Archive] Advice for putting together a Hellcannon?

Groznit Goregut:

Hi All,

I’ve got a metal Hellcannon (from Kera, I believe) that I need to put together. Any advice or suggestions when putting it together? Paint it first and then glue? Well, at least put the barrel together, right?

Any help is appreciated. I’m not used to large models, especially metal ones.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Glue the barrel together first. Then paint everything. Then assemble.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Abecedar:

As grimbald said, that’s the best way. But please green-stuff the joins in the barrel as well. so many of them look real sad with the big gaps left un-touched

RichardC1967:

when I put my three together I glued the barrels the best I could, wrapped each of them in a soft towel and vigorously beat them with a rubber mallet until they fit together perfectly without any gaps…(yes, really I did)…

CopperPot:

Throw it in the the bin or smashing it against a wall is pleasing as well, for when you lose your temper:mad

Da Crusha:

I always dry fit the models before gluing. if the gap is too big, file down some of the extra material, preferably from a place that will remain unseen. start with the barrel.

Kera foehunter:

rpitts2004:

I dunno considering I have two Finecast ones that took my about 30 minutes to put together each.

All I can say is you poor bastard

Groznit Goregut:

I used a drehmel to smooth out the two halves. I used a hammer to “adjust” it a bit. I put some heavy art books on them while the glue dried. I then used liquid greenstuff!!!

Man, I LOVE liquid greenstuff. Still laugh at all the haters that think it’s just for fixing finecast.

Bolg:

Much better! I always hate looking at a badly put together HC, it doesnt matter how well it painted, if there is a gap it wont do.

Now get paintinG!

CopperPot:

Good job, liquid green stuff is great.

Vogon:

Sorry I was a bit late for this one.

To minimise the gaps that need filling I stuck mine in the oven at about 120°C for 20 minutes then bent it back to shape. See the following thread.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10816

Then fill the gaps and paint the barrel before finishing the assembly.

(I must finish this at some point ;))

Cheers

Vogon

Abecedar:

Arrh, the “Tap-Ometer” (hammer) how many uses does it not have.

To minimise the gaps that need filling I stuck mine in the oven at about 120°C for 20 minutes then bent it back to shape.

Vogon
You’re allowed near the oven with stuff???

Had a friend once who used the kitchen blender to make his burley bait. Said the doghouse was very lonely!

Groznit Goregut:

OK…I have most of it together and painted at this point…

What is the base size for a Hellcannon?

Groznit Goregut:

Finally got the Hellcannon done! Well, not the crew yet, but that’s another story. At least the cannon is done.

I might try to take better pictures in real sunlight tomorrow.

Kera foehunter:

Look nice sweetie… Needs some rust maybe?? or some whale oil :slight_smile:

Mad Dave:

Im loving this thread!!! DAVE SMASH!!! mwu hahaha