[Archive] All Dwarf Viable?

fluffstalker:

Hello all new player here, to Warhammer also in general. Am a 40k guard player at heart, so couldnt really resist something as irritating as an earthshaker. If the other player isnt swearing about “gay artillery” by turn two, then your not a true guardsmen. :slight_smile:

Furthermore the site is really impressive, though I have no idea how im going to do all that converting without spending too much cash- even buying a warrior set and a maurauder set would double the expenditure.

But anyway Ill deal with the conversizing in another post. Im here to ask whether I could do a Chaos Dwarf army with only Dwarfs and do well in games? Im not a fan of greenskins, models dont really appeal to me and neither does the playing style. I prefer having one solid theme to my army- if I did do O and Gobbos it would be all Orcs and Gobbos, or even just Gobbos. heh.

I was thinking of this tentative list, it would be switchable with a regualr Dwarf army so I can attend official tournaments if they dont let me bring Chaos Dwarf rules.

Sorceror Lord, Lvl 3 (Dwarf Lord? )

Sorceror Hero, Dispel Scroll, (Dwarf Runemaster)

2 Units of

20x Chaos Dwarfies, HW and Shield, B, M, C (Dwarf Warriors)

2 Units of

16x BB (Thunderers)

16x Chaos Dwarfs, GW, B, M, C (Yeah I know ppl say these guys not as viable as the regular but since the list is dwarf intensive its more for balance and variety) (Hammerers)

Hell Rocket (I have no bloody idea-maybe a Dwarf Flame Cannon?)

2x Goblin bolt Throwers (Will man with Dwarfs, so doesnt break the theme)

2x Earthshaker (Mad laughter. Dwarf Stone Thrower?)

So the idea is fairly simple and typically Guard in mentality, except my dwarfs arent as expendable, unfortuantely :~. Hunker down and force enemies to come to me.

I was worried about armies that pack even greater firepower- Lizardmen magic is utterly lethal, and Empire and other Dwarfs come to mind. Can the earthshaker handle these?

Cheers.

BilboBaggins:

I was thinking of this tentative list, it would be switchable with a regualr Dwarf army so I can attend official tournaments if they dont let me bring Chaos Dwarf rules.

fluffstalker
Sounds like a good plan.
Sorceror Lord, Lvl 3 (Dwarf Lord? )
Sorceror Hero, Dispel Scroll, (Dwarf Runemaster)

fluffstalker
Runelord would be a good starting place. If you have some sculpting ability change the beard to curly and add tusks or mask. I was thinking of getting one and giving him a Big Hat like the rest of my models. At 2k I have three heroes (1 level 4 and 2 level 2 sorcerers). In my normal Dwarf army style it's still 3 heroes but Lord, Runesmith and BSB (Battle Standard Bearer).
2 Units of 20x Chaos Dwarfies, HW and Shield, B, M, C (Dwarf Warriors)

fluffstalker
Rank and file, again either add tusks & hats or masks.
2 Units of 16x BB (Thunderers)

fluffstalker
I personally use units of 21 (7x3) but 18 (6x3) would be impressive to. In a normal dwarf gun line (21x1) would fill a big section of board. :)
16x Chaos Dwarfs, GW, B, M, C (Yeah I know ppl say these guys not as viable as the regular but since the list is dwarf intensive its more for balance and variety) (Hammerers)

fluffstalker
Use them as counter attack (flank) since you don't have HobGobs to fill that roll.
Hell Rocket (I have no bloody idea-maybe a Dwarf Flame Cannon?)

fluffstalker
The Death Rocket. I think the best choice would be the Empire's Helstorm Rocket Battery model with CD crew. You could just make your own out of scraps of plastic and a dowel stick. You can then use it like a Dwarf Organ Gun.
2x Goblin bolt Throwers (Will man with Dwarfs, so doesnt break the theme)

fluffstalker
Good idea.
2x Earthshaker (Mad laughter. Dwarf Stone Thrower?)

fluffstalker
I feel that the Flame Canon would have a better look for the Earth Shaker or even a Dwarf Cannon. If you have the Earthshaker models then using them as Grudge Thrower wouldn't be too bad, but using as Dwarf Cannons might fit better.

Baggronor:

I was worried about armies that pack even greater firepower- Lizardmen magic is utterly lethal, and Empire and other Dwarfs come to mind. Can the earthshaker handle these?
A Slann army could be a real pain, as your M3 Dwarfs aren't gonna see any favourable combats. I would get a bit more magic and another scroll.
Empire are a pain as the great cannons will snipe your machines :~ If you get to fire first you can potentially silence them, but its not a great match up. A Dwarf army will give you a hard time, as your usual advantage of greenskin fodder is absent, although you do have some seriously nasty shooting (Blunderbusses, Earthshakers) that will hurt his expensive troops.

As far as switching to normal Dwarfs for tournies, I would recommend the Anvil of Doom . I've taken it to 2 Grand tournies now, with decent results. Thorek will lose you friends but a normal Anvil is fine. I find a decent mix of combat units (generally 2 blocks with 1-2 shooting units and some Slayers) with 2-3 war machines (2 S7 BTs and an Organ Gun usually) and a Gyrocopter works nice.
Look here for some solid Dwarf lists, Dark Dwarves' horde lists are particularly fun:
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/index.php?showtopic=21252

Also, those Great Weapon warriors will come in handy as Hammerers/Longbeards :)

Some shots of my war machines, if you want some ideas. These were pretty simple to make.
My Organ Gun, made from 2 Dwarf Organ Gun kits, some Hellcannon wheels and 40k spiky bits. Death Rocket in my Ravening Hordes list:

My Cannon, made in the same way as the Organ Gun, with a Hellcannon skull and a lead belcher barrel:

Ubertechie:

Hi

Whilst a pure dwarf army is possible and viable it may not be that interesting to play with / against. The single most important phase of Warhammer is the movement phase and usually winning the movement phase metagame(s) means you will win the game.

The Earthshaker(s) are fantastic as they let you slow down the enemies movement - however if you are hunkering down in the corner and do not have anything that can take advantage of this and get the flank then you will struggle to get victories.

This army is good for getting lots of draws but to turn those into victories you need something faster than M3 dwarves - hobgoblin wolf-riders and bull centaurs are ideal.

Hope that helps

cheers

ubertechie

fluffstalker:

Thanks for the replies, excellent conversions there on the deathrocket/organ gun, really looks like it could be both. I have to ask though, you guys are willling to buy two organ guns just to get an extra rack of guns, then buy the hellcannon for hte wheels, where do you get all this cash? Is there a place where you can buy just the stuff you want, besides Ebay? Cause Ebay is just a den of rats, no offense to any rats on this site, but still the hassle, wait and lack of service make GW seem perferable. :(. I have barely enough time to paint guards, this is all a bit indimidating :=.

As for the tactical adivce I hear you tecchies, (play dota btw? lol), and yes I suppose adding a bull centaur unit would not break the goblin taboo and add some hitting power. I was also thinking, if any of you have played Age of Wonders 2, theres a dwarf boar unit, maybe i could do a conversion with boar boyz and some dwarfs and call em hobgoblin “medium” cavalry (that way I can justify the overpowered 4+ save) . Hey I might do a new unit in rule dev!

After all if a dwarf IS going to ride on something, its going to be on something as il tempered, stubborn and ugly as himself, or herself.

Putting my sorc lord on a lammasu will give me a fast unit as well and add some hitting power in the flank.

Cheers.

Baggronor:

you guys are willling to buy two organ guns just to get an extra rack of guns, then buy the hellcannon for the wheels, where do you get all this cash?
I bought 2 cannon boxes, used the organ gun barrells from both boxes for the organ gun and the remainder to make the cannon. :) All my CDs are converted from Dwarf plastics, the only metals in my army are the Hellcannon crew, so as armies go its pretty cheap.

Hellcannon wheels, I, ahem, was owed a favour by a staff member back when mail order actually allowed the ordering of individual parts :) (I sculpted a chaos lord for him iirc). I got loads of wheels (which cost him next to nothing) and he got a unique chaos lord, thus we were both happy:)

fluffstalker:

Oh haha. Connections eh?

yeah I guess I should get to some trading, thing Is im in malaysia, not exactly land of the warhammering people. Trying to publicize but most people aren’t into wargaming, especially students like me we dont have a great deal of time or money lol.

Two cannon boxes is still twice as much, sure its plastic, but I dont have a job currently so yeah, I guess Ill have to pace mysefl to a budget.

Oh yeah, I was also wondring, is the dwarf plastic warriors any different form the BFSP warriors? Could i convert them instead so I dont have to buy the whole box? i was thinking alot of the weapons and arms seem good already, so I could just do the Xander mask conversion, add some green stuff, and it should be good.

Ubertechie:

Hi there,

In answer to your warrior question the BFSP dwarfs are very different from the standard regiment dwarfs and the BFSP ones are a lot easier to convert.

If you want a good deal on the BFSP contents go to paintedfigs.com - they are based in Sri Lanka and if you go to http://www.paintedfigs.com/files/Battle_for_Skull_Pass_Specials.xls you can see that they will sell you just the dwarf contents of the box set at a good rate and being (relatively) local to you postage shouldn’t be too bad either.

Hope that helps

cheers

ubertechie

fluffstalker:

Hey Ubertecchies, thanks a lot. Just sent them an email, awaiting reply.

Have you used them before? Was the service good?

Swissdictator:

I’d say a pure Dwarf list can work. It is harder, I will admit.

A few crossover ideas:

Mount your Great Taurus/Lammasu on a 40x40 base… and have a 50x50 base to put it on. When using CD rules, put it on the 50x50 base. Some nice little base work could make that viable, probably using magnetics. When running it using Dwarf rules, you might have to clear this ahead of time, use it as a “counts as gyrocopter”.

Bull Centaurs could be DoW heavy cav as well.

I’d shoo away from 2 Earth shakers (I own 2, and I’m glad I do) at standard point sizes (2,000 - 2,250) as that can be a bit powerful. Understand, I do know how tempting it is… believe me I do! Unless your gaming scene is more hardcore then mine, I’d shoo away from it. Just because people might react strongly. Though, I do see why you’d do it wanting it to be able to use Dwarf rules as well. Just my little $0.02 there.

I do look forward to seeing how this goes for you!

fluffstalker:

Ah yes. Two earthshakers. I must admit it is the Guard genes in me. I still see “Rare” = “Heavy Support.” And no guard player would leave that unfilled, even at 500 points.

Anyway, I see no problem with it really, as Ive sacrificed what to me is the real strength of the Chaos Dwarf List- The ability to have cheap as dirt yet effective greenskins to redierect, counter charge and generally die for the cause so the short ones dont have to. Having only bull centaurs and flyers for faster than m3 units, the only real way I can control the movement phase without grabbing gobbos is using earthshakers.

If people really have a problem with it I guess Ill have to break my goblin taboo and use them. :frowning:

Ubertechie:

Hey Ubertecchies, thanks a lot. Just sent them an email, awaiting reply.

Have you used them before? Was the service good?

fluffstalker
They currently have over 125 of my Metal Marauder chaos Dwarfs for painting and i have been more than happy with the service so far