[Archive] An Evaluation of Infernal Guard

Cherry Soda Man:

So as I was glancing over a rather long winded whine on the Vampire Counts forum when a realization hit me, out Infernal Guard are not half bad. Whenever I’ve seen anyone discuss what they can do compared to the amount of points they cost, they’re instantly deemed overpriced.

A good point made in that rant throws our own infernal guard up against our not-so-stone-fleshed brethren, the Dwarfs. Specifically in their army, the longbeards. Comparable in stat-line (save for +1 WS in favor of them) as well as cost (+1 point for our Infernal Guard), you get two units which are very solid on paper. Their ItP rule is slightly less superior considering that our own Guard don’t panic at the sight of our hobgoblins running. However where I believe that we get back on par with them is in our armor save. Sporting a disgustingly good 3+ AS (ranked among the top for core infantry in the game along with our human Chaos cousins), we can wear low S attacks significantly better than longbeards can. In addition, while both of our units will most likely have characters in them, our characters will actually do something for our unit (give it stubborn!)! That means when that unit of MoN, frenzied, halberd-armed Warriors comes trouncing by, we’re sticking around for round two. Them? Not so much.

It is therefore in my opinion that a block of longbeards with a BSB performs its job as well, if not worse, than a comparable block of Infernal Guard with a BSB. AS LONG AS:

Great weapons are not taken. This is where our infernal guard become expensive past their use, in my opinion. Especially when compared to their longbeard brothers, who get the upgrade for 1 point cheaper. We have enough things in our army list that can dish out high S attacks in combat, we do not need our guard to do it as well.

Cherry Soda Man:

So as I was glancing over a rather long winded whine on the Vampire Counts forum when a realization hit me, out Infernal Guard are not half bad. Whenever I’ve seen anyone discuss what they can do compared to the amount of points they cost, they’re instantly deemed overpriced.

A good point made in that rant throws our own infernal guard up against our not-so-stone-fleshed brethren, the Dwarfs. Specifically in their army, the longbeards. Comparable in stat-line (save for +1 WS in favor of them) as well as cost (+1 point for our Infernal Guard), you get two units which are very solid on paper. Their ItP rule is slightly less superior considering that our own Guard don’t panic at the sight of our hobgoblins running. However where I believe that we get back on par with them is in our armor save. Sporting a disgustingly good 3+ AS (ranked among the top for core infantry in the game along with our human Chaos cousins), we can wear low S attacks significantly better than longbeards can. In addition, while both of our units will most likely have characters in them, our characters will actually do something for our unit (give it stubborn!)! That means when that unit of MoN, frenzied, halberd-armed Warriors comes trouncing by, we’re sticking around for round two. Them? Not so much.

It is therefore in my opinion that a block of longbeards with a BSB performs its job as well, if not worse, than a comparable block of Infernal Guard with a BSB. AS LONG AS:

Great weapons are not taken. This is where our infernal guard become expensive past their use, in my opinion. Especially when compared to their longbeard brothers, who get the upgrade for 1 point cheaper. We have enough things in our army list that can dish out high S attacks in combat, we do not need our guard to do it as well.

Thommy H:

That’s the issue with Infernal Guard, yeah: out of the box, they work just fine. The price is more or less correct. But the upgrades are just monstrous, literally - no one short of Monstrous Infantry pays that much for a great weapon. There’s no good reason they pay more than Chaos Warriors for them, seeing as the latter outclass them in almost every respect.

Cherry Soda Man:

That's the issue with Infernal Guard, yeah: out of the box, they work just fine. The price is more or less correct. But the upgrades are just monstrous, literally - no one short of Monstrous Infantry pays that much for a great weapon. There's no good reason they pay more than Chaos Warriors for them, seeing as the latter outclass them in almost every respect.

Thommy H
I would say that Chaos Warriors outclass them in every aspect. Except leadership I suppose...

I feel as though all of the upgrades for IG are like that though, the only one I've seen people succeed with regularly are BBs.

Baggronor:

Lol VC players complaining that they have ‘limited ways to deal with the Destroyer’? They have more ways than everyone else put together. Spirit Hosts, Cairn Wraiths, even a Banshee on her own will kill it. Ghouls will poison it to death and Zombies are the only tarpit that can handle it. A Red Fury Vampire Lord with Dragonhelm, Ogre Blade and Other Trickster’s Shard will kick it’s ass.

Anyway, on topic: Yes, IG are best used with hand weapon and shield. That is not to say the other options are unusable, but overall they are a grinding unit, best used against other people’s Core troops - they outclass pretty much all other Core in the game with the exception of WoC, Savage Orc Big 'Uns and a few other oddities. It’s pretty funny watching an elf spear horde throw 50 attacks at them and only killing 4 guys.

Great Weapons are monstrously expensive and not really worth the loss of the 3+/6+ save (IG’s best asset imo). Perhaps flanking units of 14, 7 wide could be an option. Large units get silly expensive very quickly.

Fireglaives… I really struggle to see the point of these guys. Their shooting is mediocre at best and they will usually strike last in combat anyway, despite being armed with halberds. Seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

Blunderbusses. At a truly eye-watering points cost, these guys are still a better bet than Fireglaives imo, as long as you know what you’re facing. As with everything in the LoA, if you’re going to do it, do it properly. The next time you play that annoying ASF-tastic HE army, take 2 big blocks of these, some Deathshriekers and a Lv4 on Fire or Metal magic (for Flaming Sword/Enchanted Blades). See if anyone makes it into combat with you :slight_smile: