[Archive] And so my computor MUST die

Joshmohr:

So, my computer MUST die… Its a 6 year old Presaro V2000. Where can i purchase a cheap one? This one ways believe it or not, 2,000 USD… And its been the worst PC Ive ever used. It lags, its support sucks, and it randomly shuts down. And they refuse to fix it/ send me a new one. (Even when i HAD a warranty…)

So, where can i a new computer? I need a nice desktop, that will last a while, and is good at games.

Im going to smash this one, and post it on youtube, soon.

Any ideas? I know Swiss made a post like this.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Any ideas on smashing it? Urm, well sledge hammer, pelt it with rocks (from a safe distance/wearing suitable equipment), put cola in it and drop washing poweder in and run, then when it’s dried out, fill it with alcohol, burn and don’t breathe in the fumes :wink:

As for a new one, laptops are often just as good and more often cheaper. ARGOS and ARGOS additions have some that are fairly decent for around the £350-390 mark.

Joshmohr:

Im gutting it for parts i can use in 40K, then im thinking Lighter Fluid, and some matches. THEN ill throw on some M80’s.

snowblizz:

Shopping for parts on-line tends to be cheapest. But then you have to put it together, for the first time I actually decided to pay someone to do it for me. Last time I installed a Cpu I almost gave myself a coronary by slipping with a screwdriver against the motherboard.

I have found a new appreciation for the neighbourhood computershop, you get what you want, exactly, and if its a decent shop they’ll amke sure you get a good package.

I don’t believe in “brand” computers anymore, I’d avoid stuff like Dell (I know a guy who hates them on account of the breaking all the time) and HP etc etc just never gives you something that fits the bill.

Joshmohr:

Well, i’m thinking of getting one of the ‘Small’ Laptops, for $300 USD… My friend has one, and he says that it works well.

dedwrekka:

I suggest keeping the monitor, mouse, and keyboard off the desktop, which will save you a lot when you look for a new computer. Then go around to different stores like Best Buy, Circuit City (especially as they’re going out of business in a lot of places), or Frys Electronics if you have one. Compare some prices at the stores and online.

Oh, and see if you can rip out your RAM and/or video cards. You never know when they might just come in handy. Definitely smash the hard drive, even if you just plan to chunk it. There’s a ton of personal info on there that you’ll never see unless you look for it.

Joshmohr:

Its not a desktop, its a crappy laptop… a crappy 2000 USD laptop…

Kera foehunter:

I find that if you give your computer rum it run better

or you can give it Bacardi 151 rum and light it on fire

Grimstonefire:

I think stuff it with fire crackers and use a nice long line of lighter fluid to allow you to light it from a safe distance and run for it! :slight_smile:

That would be pretty spectacular. Probably get the police in, but it would be funny!

Joshmohr:

Well… Rum would work, but im only 16 =(

So i think ill go with… Black Powder. If i can get some, lol.

Swissdictator:

Trebuchet. Launch it…

Just don’t make the mistake some of my classmates made with a potato cannon. They made an error in their calculations. It launched out of the “bowl” and across the road. There was a funeral home across the rode, and they happened to fire right as the widow was leaving…

Joshmohr:

Trebuchet ehh? I think thats a bit hard to come by…

cornixt:

Be wary of any closing down sales. They are nearly always “owned” by liquidation companies who put the prices up (so they actually cost more than they did before the “sale”) and ship in other stuff that they claim to sell at a discount. Someone where i work bought a harddrive from Circuit City closing down sale, he found it was the wrong sort for his PC, couldn’t return it becuase sales are final, and it cost less in Best Buy anyway.

Willmark:

How about recycling it as the eco-friendly option rather then blowing it apart?

BilboBaggins:

Send it to me, I’ll run the cleanup programs and use it as a backup. :smiley:

snowblizz:

Well, i'm thinking of getting one of the 'Small' Laptops, for $300 USD....   My friend has one, and he says that it works well.

Joshmohr
No way you are going to be able to play any games on one of those however. At least reasonably new ones, and the screen is *tiny*.

Basically you are almost always better of getting a serious desktop for gaming AND a laptop for other stuff. Like hanging out on CDO. At the price you have to fork out for a top notch laptop you can buy 2 desktops of equal or better performance.

Kera foehunter:

snowblizz
Well, i'm thinking of getting one of the 'Small' Laptops, for $300 USD....   My friend has one, and he says that it works well.

Joshmohr
No way you are going to be able to play any games on one of those however. At least reasonably new ones, and the screen is *tiny*.

well Bilbo is a halfling it probably full screen to him