[Archive] Anyone going to Gamesday 2008- Baltimore?

Willmark:

Anyone on this side of the pond going? Looks like I will be there. First one too. Probably will be toting along my Chaos Dwarfs to play at my buddy’s place. First gamesday for the two of us; also first time I will have seen him in 2 years. Best friends since high school.

Anyone else? Love to actually meet any of the CDO members.

furrie:

its a bit far for me and I don’t have the money to go to America

GRNDL:

Baltimore is too far away for me, but I have been to three Gamesday’s in Toronto. I’ve found that its usually not worth it to go UNLESS:

* You are new to the hobby and want to see what its all about.

* Want in on the Golden Daemon

* Participating in the Tournament.

* Part of a club.

I’m neither of those so I’m usually done at the GD in about 1.5 hours. Sometimes I’ve done the drawing competition (which they haven’t always had), but mostly I’m there for the sneak peeks and the shopping.

For shopping there, if you want Forge World stuff go there EARLY (like opening time) and go there as quickly as possible. They sell out of everything really fast. GW never give you a deal on things in the stores, so there’s little point in going if you want 5% off. All the exclusive minis are available year to year anyway, so don’t go if you think you’ll be missing out. They are pretty hypocritical about that - I’ve been able to wangle the exclusive GD minis without having to go to GD if you can get the ear of a friendly retailer. At one GD I was told they had “run out” of the free (with ticket) show mini, until someone mentioned that you could buy them at the GW in-show store… Great… Thanks.

My big issues with GD is that there is little incentive to go. All the events like Bitzbox Wars and so on are first come first served and they are literally filled up in the first 30 mins of the day. Seminars and so on are usually not advertized much, so if you’re “not in the know” half the show will slide by you without you noticing.

Organization is usually out the window, as well. They’ve been trying to make it more worthwhile and adding new stuff, but its usually not worth it, IMHO. Especially for the price they charge you.

Sorry for the rant, I hope your experience is/was better than mine.

AGPO:

The UK Gamesday was always worth it for the Conversion competition (not sure if this is still going) if you were cleaver you could get a whole bagload of sprues for free. There were some cool scenery freebies to be had too. As always with GW I was just shocked at how much the price has gone up. Also be aware you WILL spend whatever you take with you

Willmark:

I’m going more to say I did it. Plus it will be a weekend break from the family which I havent had in years.

Also going with low expectations so hopefully I’ll be pleasantly suprised. Plus Maryland crab and beer!

Lastly, I think I’ll be packing some bars of soap to hand out to the crowds, especially the trench coaters, no more really need be said…

Kera foehunter:

I don’t know yet? it’s kinda far? But maybe i will.Talk some friend to go

AGPO:

First time at Gamesday is always fun. Just make sure you speak to an experienced hand and/or shudder a staffer so you know in advance the bits to go to

GRNDL:

The UK Gamesday was always worth it for the Conversion competition (not sure if this is still going) if you were cleaver you could get a whole bagload of sprues for free. There were some cool scenery freebies to be had too. As always with GW I was just shocked at how much the price has gone up. Also be aware you WILL spend whatever you take with you

AGPO
Well this is the deal, at least in Canada. The conversion contests were known as "Bitzbox wars" (and other things) and you could indeed grab sprues to build with to take home. This means that these events were incredibly popular - after 3 GD's I still have yet to participate - and each year the amount of available seats have gone down.

The Canadian events appear to be really stingy on things where GW has to part with something. I went to Conflict TO once when the Wood Elves were coming out. Cost me $17.50 at the door. Their advertized door price was $15, so they inflated the ticket price by $2.50... Part of the ticket was a free Wood Elf Dryad sprue. By the time I got there 10:30am (doors opened at 9:30am, I think) all the "freebie" sprues were "gone", so me and my friends got nothing except aside from a missing $2.50... However, they had PLENTY of Dryad boxes for sale inside... Thanks for your patronage.

Again, sorry for the rant. I think that I've hijacked this thread enough. My apologies for anyone actually contributing to this thread in the manner it was intended.

Xander:

I spent the last Games Day working at the Games Workshop down the street from it! The Eaton Centre. GRNDL, where do you normally go to buy GW product?

GRNDL:

I live in St. Catharines and I have a pretty good rep with my local games dealer, Phoenix Rising. I usually get savings on GW stuff and he’s been able to wangle some odd things from his 20 yrs experience dealing with companies. It works out.

Failing that, I drive to Mapleview Mall in Burlington. Occasionally, I’ll go to the Oakville store - usually for the in-store Forgeworld stock (which they’ve been reducing, I think).

Xander:

The Oakville Bunker is 10 minutes away from my house. We should collaborate sometime. :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Xander:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Mississauga,+ON&daddr=Baltimore,+US&sll=39.290734,-76.605606&sspn=0.251363,0.637207&ie=UTF8&z=6

Hrm, I am not feeling the 8 and a half hour drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Willmark:

6 for me, of course there’s the new border restrictions too, for you that is.

Xander:

Not really, I can still pass without a passport at a land crossing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I need to look into getting one of those.

Willmark:

I think that will be changing soon thou. It will for us Yanks.

GRNDL:

/points at Xander.

He made me do it! :)

/exeunts stage right.

:hat off

Kera foehunter:

Wow!!!willmark they go right by your house. Road Trip !!

Willmark:

Kinda. Rochester is about 65 miles east of the crossing at Niagara Falls.

AGPO:

W eshould have a road/sea trip and Hijack Warhammer World with Chaos Dwarfs for a day. Think about it - everyone who turns up ends up facing an army of Chos Dwarfs led by people with Curly beards. Then let GW deny theres any interest!