[Archive] Anyone made use of the Steam Carriage rule?

Nicodemus:

As the title suggests, I’m wondering if anyone has made use of the rule  (and found it useful) for the Steam Carriage upgrades for the Legion of Azgorh warmachines (includes: Deathshrieker Rocket launcher, Magma Cannon and the Dreadquake Mortar)?  The implication from taking the Steam Carriage upgrade for these warmachines is that the Steam Carriage special rules then apply.

Briefly, for those not familiar - the Iron Daemon War Engine’s Carriage Hauler special rule allows the Iron Daemon to haul 1-2 carriages behind it.  The carriages can’t shoot in the same turn that the Iron Daemon has moved, however, they need to be targetted separately by shooting attacks, can be charged separately, and if carriages are attacked they aren’t locked in combat and can still be hauled away, provided the Iron Daemon isn’t locked in combat also.  

Additional perks of mounting them on an Iron Daemon is that while they’re attached the Steam Carriage rules allow them to count as being in hard cover against shooting attacks (-2 penalty), and as fighting behind a defended obstacle (wall, which gives -1 to Hit) when charged.

So, anyone made any good use out of these rules, particularly as some part of a strategy? I’m no great general, but one would think that having units of Bull Centaurs or Hobgoblins flanking an Iron Daemon that’s hauling warmachines into the centre of an enemy army (initally for disruption maybe) could be made to work… but I haven’t been brave enough to try this yet, let alone spend the points on the upgrades! I’d much rather take a Dispel Scroll for my points instead of upgrading a Dreadquake.

~N

Chico:

I can’t see myself spending points on the upgrade even if i did field the necessary Iron Deamon, rather save all the spare points from 2/3 Warmachines and get another Khan or Wolfs.

Nice to see if anyone has made it work though,

Nicodemus:

So far I’ve only imagined sinking all of the points into this as part of some larger campaign or one of those FFA local games where the guys assemble 20,000pts of Chaos vs. allied armies and then play for an entire weekend across several massive tables…

Geist:

The only way I would use this rule is if and only if, I could fire my warmachines when the machine was in motion. Other wise why exactly again am I taking my precious warmachines closer to the enemy when raining death from afar is what they are suppose to do?

Da Crusha:

The only way I would use this rule is if and only if, I could fire my warmachines when the machine was in motion.  Other wise why exactly again am I taking my precious warmachines closer to the enemy when raining death from afar is what they are suppose to do?

Geist
that drives me nuts also, especially when I found out the ogre cannon can move and fire. is a cannon on the back of a wild beast really more stable than a cannon mounted on a platform being pulled by a train?

when I first heard we would have a warmachines being pulled by trains I fantasized of doing circles around my enemies while firing a barrage of hot lead on the enemy. we would be always on the move, and uncatchable.

fairoaks024:

basically, same as Geist said, I haven’t been able to think of a use for it in a game.

regards

jim

Nicodemus:

that drives me nuts also, especially when I found out the ogre cannon can move and fire. is a cannon on the back of a wild beast really more stable than a cannon mounted on a platform being pulled by a train?

Da Crusha
I totally agree. Would be nice if FW would consider ammending the rule on this as it would actaully make it something one might consider taking instead of it being a useless points sink. I understand that they tend to tone things down to make their rules more acceptable, but really... if they were allowed to fire the same turn that the whole train moved I don't think that would be so bad... as the warmachines aren't really moving and shooting in the same turn, it would be the Iron Daemon that's moving, the warmachines attached to it are just being displaced.

Alas, I doubt they would reconsider this for a future FAQ... but it would make the Iron Daemon and the points cost for the Steam Carriage more viable!

~N

Baggronor:

Another wasted opportunity :~

This could have been so awesome. Pretty much sums up LoA really :expressionless:

Da Crusha:

Another wasted opportunity :~

This could have been so awesome. Pretty much sums up LoA really :|

Baggronor
I agree. its such a bummer. so many unnecessary restrictions.

Baggronor:

so many unnecessary restrictions.
Exactly.

Can't have a Taur'ruk without BCs.
Taur'ruk can't be the general.
Can't have Fireborn without a Daemonsmith.
CD characters can't join Hobgoblins.

These are all nice, fluffy restrictions but put them together and it just funnels you into the same army builds every time. Not good, especially when coupled with the ridiculous upgrade costs and the 2-3 troop types that are just unusably bad. There's a reason why GW dropped this kind of thing in their 8th ed books.

The Steam Carriage is another example of a great idea that received far too little testing and innovation to bring it up to scratch.