[Archive] Archers or warriors?

dromar:

Hy, I’m trying to built a competitive army list so i’m thinking to include hobgoblins archers. The problem is that they are not very effective alone but they provide a shooting support that can be very usefull, especially if combined with lore of shadow that can drop thougness.

I try to see if 2X20 or 30 hobgoblins archers would be interesting 'cause chaos dwarf don’t look like a real shooting army, despite artillry…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Personally, if your Special section can spare the points, I’d say that you should take Orc Arrer Boyz. Unsure of how they’re costed in the new book, but they previously had +1T and Light Armour for just one point more.

Bassman:

In 8th edition arrer boyz cost 7 points each.

So an unit of 10 costs 70 points against 50 points for a 10 hobgobbos unit.

This debate was discussed so many times I get always bored to repeat. :slight_smile:

Each its own. I like to field 2 units of 10 hobgoblins. They are cheap, nobody cares if they die and they are pretty effective. They are not meant to fight, just to disturb enemy and act as baits. So I find them really good.

Mosk:

I would go with units of 10 hob goblins with bows if anything. Personally I would rather run 25 nekked hob goblins rather than 10 hob goblins with bows

dromar:

Well, i’m thinking to play 2X20 hobgoblins with bow and 30naked hobgoblins in my 3000pts army list, would it be ok for fire support and meat shield?

Bassman:

Well, i'm thinking to play 2X20 hobgoblins with bow and 30naked hobgoblins in my 3000pts army list, would it be ok for fire support and meat shield?

dromar
I would go for 2X10 hobgoblins with bows and two big blocks of 30 hobgoblins as meat shields.
This way you can have a little bit less shooting at a lower cost but your small units are more flexible and expendable. They are not meant to fight, just shoot and die. So keep them low cost and small. I tried big blocks of archers but I could not find them so useful. Do you had a better experience to share?

I suggest you 2 big blocks of 30 hobgoblins because 60 hobgoblins are better than 30! ;) and they are pretty impressive on the battlefield! :)