[Archive] army of magehood

theblackmage:

well, the name could be better, but moving swiftly on…

One of the main things that drew me to chaos dwarves was a piece of fluff I read, which spoke of the evil stunties fighting against an empire army, and managing to kill em all by using hobgoblins to range the battlefield, then shooting at thespotswith artilary. That’s the immage I want to recreate in my army…

so, without futher ado…

chaos dwarf sorcorer lord - 220

level 4

Chaos dwarf hero - 94

great weapon

armour of ghazrak

Chaos dwarf sorcorer - 125

level 2

Chaos dwarf sorcorer - 125

level 2

20 chaos dwarf warriors - 210

full command

20 chaos dwarf warriors - 210

full command

20 chaos dwarf warriors

Blunderbusses

full command

10 Hobgoblins - 110

Wolves

10 Hobgoblins - 110

Wolves

10 Hobgoblins - 110

Wolves

Death rocket

Death rocket

Death rocket

Earthshaker

Total points - 1974

I have 25 points left to spend, and I can’t decide what on…

My plan is fairly strait forward. I will use the war machines and mages to weaken enemy units, and to force them to come close to me, so I have an advantage. The wolves will harrass flanks, deal with light units and, in a way befiting the fluff pice, I’ll remeber just how far they moved for my range guessing…

When the enemy closes, the hero and warriors with shield will move to enagge, whilst the BBs will be deployd 6x3 or 9x2 (depending on who I’m fighting and their units) and pour in thier deadly short range fire:)

Xander:

Well, I’d drop two Death Rockets in favour of 4 Bolt Throwers.

With the left over points, beef up your Warrior units to 24 (plus Mage for 25, 5x5) and 23 (plus Lord and Hero for 25, 5x5). Then drop your Blunderbusser count to 17 (plus Mage for 18, 6x3). With the points left over, grab a dispel scroll or some power stones to maximize the effectiveness of your magic phase. :slight_smile:

Ubertechie:

hmmm

I would have to agree with everything Xander has said - excpet maybe loose 1 of the 3 wolf rider units and go for 2 units of 14 blunderbusses with standards and place a level 2 sorcerer in each unit.

Also suprised by no units of naked hobgoblins on foot - for 40 points for 20 of them they are very hard to beat and are useful in so many different situations

theblackmage:

hmmmm, personaly, I’d rather have death rockets than bs 3 bolt throwers. the thrower has, on avrage a 50% chance to hit, and will kill 1/2 models per unit on average. probably more than the death rocket, I’ll agree, but the downside is the crew is t3, with ld6, something I don’t want to risk.

also, my primary opponent is ogres, and multi-beast chaos, so the d6 wounds of the death rocket, and the fact their huge bases makes it hard to miss, I’d rather have the rocket…and its a much cooler immage:)

I’ll listen to everything else though:cheers

Border Reiver:

If your main opponent is ogres you may find that the wolfriders aren’t going to help you. Their low Ld, unless the general is close, will cause them to avoid charging the ogres more often than not, and their lack of missile weapons will cause them to be nothing more than marchblockers.

I find that bolt throwers are much more effective than death rockets - bolt throwers may miss, but they never misfire, nor do they scatter. Drop one of your death rockets for two both throwers and give it a whirl - you should be pleasantly surprised.

You may also wish to invest in some scrolls or protective devices for the mages - the Black Gem is often overlooked, but if given to a mage, you can really surprise the Ogre Tyrant with the uber weapon who finds himself unable to contribute and the fight may just swing into your favour.

Xander:

You seem to be comparing one Death Rocket to One Bolt Thrower. For the points, you should compare one Death Rocket to 3 Bolt Throwers. Your chances of hitting with one of the 3 Bolt Throwers is very high! They are far more reliable and scary to opponents than Stone Throwers.

Swissdictator:

I like combined arms when it comes to shooting.

Drop two death rockets. Add a unit of Hobgoblin archers. Add two bolt throwers. I’d add some Musicians to the Wolf Riders, they allow the bait and flee tactic with fast to work a lot easier as when you rally from fleeing from a charge you can move and shoot (if you had bows).

I’d drop a unit of Hobgoblin wolf riders. Three seems a bit unwieldy to me. I’d give each hw/sh warrior block an extra 5. 25 warriors makes for a really nice solid block, allowing you to lose some before losing a rank bonus. I’m a big fan of this size. Plus being 5x5 at the start allows more maneuvering options as you can change facing for a quarter move… and keep your rank bonus with 5x5 (as the unit’s shape/position will stay the same). Plus those extra 5 will make a unit that’s resilient even more resilient.  

This leaves you with a surplus of 125 total if I did my math right. I’d add 2 scrolls, two seems to be the minimum needed these days, at least in my neck of the woods. With the remaining points I’d buy some bows for your two units of Hobgob fast cav. This should leave you with a total surplus of 15 points. Throw the Sorc Lord a Talisman of Protection. Might not be much, but it helps. You’d be surprised how often a 6+ ward has made a difference.

The fast cav shooting with musicians makes for a GREAT harassment unit that will slowly draw stuff off and shoot stuff up.

Border Reiver:

I always give my bret fast cav musicians for just that reason.

6+ ward saves are great, you have no idea how often they save my Brets

theblackmage:

sigh, seems the death rocket isn’t to popular here then, as compared to the hobo failure device…

I already have 2 though looks at posted list for a second or I should have had

Hides in a corner, embarased

so, general concencus is I have too many wolfies, so I’ll drop a unit. hmmmm, then maybe give bows to the existing units, and change some unit sizes too. will look at that then:)

Swissdictator:

I like Death Rockets, but the Bolt Throwers have some versatility. I advocate having at least one. They’re a bit more stable then similar war machines as 1/3 of the time you misfire it’s the rocket going bonkers as opposed to the machine. Don’t be discouraged either. There’s been a thread or few on Death Rocket vs Bolt Thrower that might help you.

On the plus side: Death Rockets are very cool in theme/concept/appearance/name!

Ubertechie:

Remeber however that against ogres deathrockets do d6 wounds to enay model that is wounded under the template - so a direct hit on a 3 model unit that hits 3 models can wipe the unit out - the most a bolt thrower can do is d3 wounds (although it is argueably more likely to do so)

I would use both - and of course Earthshakers have all the benefits of death rockets plus slow down movement to boot and are only 30 points more :cheers