[Archive] arrer boyz

Neil:

Hi, I’m a newbie here (and fairly new to Chaos dwarves), but I’ve been reading some of the topics over the past few days and I have noticed that Arrer Boyz keep getting mentioned.

According to the Ravening Hordes list Chaos Dwarves can take Orc Boyz as a special choice, but it doesn’t mention Arrer Boyz. These are in the Orc and Goblin list as a separate entry, like Wolfriders and Night Goblins, so surely Chaos Dwarves can’t use them? I just wondered if everybody else agreed with this or am I mistaken?

Willmark:

First off Welcome to the site! Its great you’ll love it here.

Second Arrer Boyz can indeed be taken as a special choice, see the link below.

Lastly search is useful as many questions have already been asked:

hhttps://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5499

wallacer:

Neil, you obviously are unaware of the Ravening Hordes errata:

I draw your attention to the following link…

http://xandor.ca/hoh/RaveningHordesErrata1.jpg

Oh, and welcome to the site :cheers

AGPO:

If, like me though, you can’t get GW links to work, then I can tell you that in the RH orc and goblin list, orc boyz and arrer boyz came under the same entry - you just equipped orcs with bows. When the book was released there was an errata stating that CDs used the lastest entries for animosity and the units listed, not ravening hordes. This errata included the mention that CDs could take arrer boyz in addition to orc boyz as a special choice

Tallhat:

Yes. Welcome :slight_smile:

Question: Why would anyone want to use arrer boys?

- Tallhat

Neil:

Sorry, I had seen that link, but missed the mention of the Arrer Boyz, in it. Can anyone tell me where it comes from?

Also in response to Tallhats question, I have 101pts left to use in my army list, and the only models I have left to use are Goblins, Orcs and Arrer Boyz. I thought they could gaurd my war machines, I know they aren’t the best shots, but they can still mix it reasonably well in combat. My other idea was to go for a unit of about 13 orcs with hand weapons shields and a champion and use thenm on the flanks. I am open to better ideas if anyone has any.

Willmark:

If that is what you have available to you I see no problems then. In fact they might not be a back unit to guard war machines with.

Tallhat:

Id always rather have standard boys than arrer boys. I simply think that they suck.

- Tallhat

Canix:

I love them and have 10 in my 2000pt to gaurd warmachine just that bit harder than hobbos with bows for 1pt extra .BARGAIN:hat

metro_gnome:

well their bows only cost 1 point… if you have a problem with war machine hunters…

a unit of 20 arrer boyz can protect the machines and have LA T4 and a choppa over crappy hobgoblin bowmen…

and only cost one point more…

Willmark:

Agreed for guarding war machines arrer boyz are a nice option and flexible to boot with the bow capablity. Seems to me to be a real bargin. However they are a special. Thne again, as we have discussed in other threads the majority of the special choices are nothing to write home about.

Tallhat:

True. But Im not much of either a Hobgoblin nor an Orc user. Especially with Bows. I only really have one unit of Hobgobs in my army plus one unit of naked orcs just for show.

- Tallhat

AGPO:

Bows fill a useful gap between blunders and war machines. A fair unit of hobbo bowmen can be useful against flanking cavalry…

Willmark:

Bows are never going to win the game on their own, unless you are playing Woodies. Another issue is that GW has admitted as far back as 3rd edition that the ranges of bow weapons ate scaled back by a factor of about 100 IIRC.

wallacer:

Yeah, GW fudge their distances a lot.

Still it’s not as bad as 40k. Basilisk heavy artillery being used as close range fire support, lol.

Tallhat:

Laughs Yeah that is weird. Still it fires 240" if upgraded :slight_smile:

- Tallhat

Willmark:

I remember back on the 3rd edition rulebook regarding scale GW talked about the longbow having a range of 200" based on scale or some such. They right had to change it to prevent warhammer from morphing into a fantasy version of 40k.

AGPO:

The bow question is simply a question of game play over realism. I think missile fire is nicely balanced in the current version, shame the same can’t be said for 40K…

Gilzam:

True about 40k being unrealistic (I hate the combat rules for 40k and I hated it when they made everyone move 6" :mad)

On topic, I can’t see why not use the Orc instead of Hobbos, it does make sence (stats, points) and since most of CD specials arent that desirable I would say they are a good investment.

PS- Hammerhand I’m intriged into learning how you make a majority CD army win with next to no slaves work, I wish I could do that sort of army but the gamers I play are quite competative and as such I’ve had to introduce several squads of hobbos which I didn’t want. :~

Tallhat:

The bow question is simply a question of game play over realism. I think missile fire is nicely balanced in the current version, shame the same can't be said for 40K...

AGPO
40K hasnt really been worth playing since 2nd Edition even though it may in some points have been overdone. I loved 2nd edition. I hated 3rd and 4th.

- Tallhat