[Archive] Artisan's Contest XI - Open Discussion

Xander:

What do you guys think should be the theme of the next Artisan’s Contest?

Something Storm of Magic related? Falcrums? Something different?

Let’s see if we can come up with something cool.

:mask

fonejaker:

I think fulcrums will be good

ryanamandaanna:

Lore of Hashut cataclysm spells

Nicodemus:

Yes, Lore of Hashut cataclysm spells, or a Dawi Zharr/Dark Lands-themed Arcane Fulcrum.

Thommy H:

Fulcra would be better than spells - rules contests are always hard to judge, and I think we’d see a lot of the same basic concepts repeated. Plus, no one actually knows what any “Lore of Hashut” spells will be yet - or even if Throne of Chaos might include Cataclysm Spells anyway (it sounds like it’ll have some Scrolls of Binding in it), so it’s a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

Stick to something tangible.

Nicodemus:

Plus, no one actually knows what any "Lore of Hashut" spells will be yet

Thommy H
That's not really true though is it? We can pretend we don't know, but most of us have seen the draft rules and the Lore of Hashut spells therein. While there may very well be tweaks to some of them, it's unlikely they will be changed entirely. ... not to mention that I've seen two rounds of revisions on the LoH spells and the last changes were not very dramatic or significant.

~N

G.2:

I think fulcrums will be good

fonejaker
I didn't know what a Fulcrum was, so I had to google it. (Can you tell, that I am not a gamer). Well anyway, if you are refering to building one of these thingys....see quote below....then I am in, MOST definately. If it is not one of those things, than I don't know what your talking about fonejaker, and I am going to build one of the GW Fulcrum thingys anyway.
For the wizards of the Warhammer world, Arcane Fulcrums are terrible, complex and eldritch monoliths whose nature and function have puzzled the finest minds for millennia. What every wizard does know is that Arcane Fulcrums are the key to true magical domination and that spells cast from them can have cataclysmic consequences. It is those wizards with the greatest ambition that tackle an Arcane Fulcrum, though their bravery (perhaps insanity) is rewarded with almost unlimited power over the Winds of Magic.

GW Website

tjub:

I prefer something to build rather than written.

Borador:

Something involving building (like a fulcrum) or drawing (chaos dwarf sorcerors in action or something like that) would be most preffered by me.

wallacer:

I believe the CD army in the Tamurkhan book is the “Legion of Azgorh”?

Maybe the Artisan’s contest could be for people to come up with a background for their own Chaos Dwarf Clan?

Borador:

this just came to my mind: "make a cd related, alternate Throne of Chaos book cover."

Liking wallacer’s idea as well (:

Thommy H:

That's not really true though is it? We can pretend we don't know, but most of us have seen the draft rules and the Lore of Hashut spells therein. While there may very well be tweaks to some of them, it's unlikely they will be changed entirely.   ... not to mention that I've seen two rounds of revisions on the LoH spells and the last changes were not very dramatic or significant.

~N

Nicodemus
It's going to be a little hard to judge and write rules based on the fragmented rumours that are floating around or the photographs of pages from the draft that CDO legally can't host though, isn't it? It's asking people to infer quite a lot - we have no fluff, no definite casting values (they're the easiest thing to change from draft to draft...), no real idea of how the magic will interact with the list. Plus, as I said, there may be Cataclysm Spells in the book anyway, rendering the whole contest moot.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying let's wait until the book is actually published before we start doing contests based on it. Yes, we all know the rough shape the new rules will take, but it's still premature to expect people to put work into writing rules when the goalposts could still shift quite dramatically.

ryanamandaanna:

In that case, I’d be down for making a Chaos Dwarf Arcane Fulcrum…

Thommy H:

That makes the most sense to me, especially if we do Storm of Magic creatures for Golden Hat, because then it all ties in together and there’s a bit of incentive for people to enter both contests because you’ll get a “SoM kit” out of it.

Zanko:

I’m not really sure what Fulcrums are! :frowning:

Is it (like at the German GW site mentioned) an arcane focus like this one?

:hashut

ryanamandaanna:

yeppers. :smiley:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Borador:

It’s a terrain piece that gives awesome megical powers to your wizard if he gets on there. They are like the image you posted Zanko, but there are many possibilities actually. You could make a tower, a warpstone-ish stonehenge circle, something harnassing an element and so on. Sheer endless possibilities :wink:

Zanko:

Fine!

The Fulcrum gets my vote! :smiley:

:hashut

Bolg:

I prefer something to build rather than written.

tjub
I'm with Tjub (:

Borador:

So, when is the Artisan’s Contest going to be officially announced? (: