[Archive] Artisan's IX - Regiment of Renown

Grimstonefire:

I’d actually be really impressed if someone did that :D. But no.

zobo1942:

Ummmm… Question. If I have an idea which uses a different number than the listed typically accepted unit sizes, does that different pose a problem, or could that count as a ‘special rule’ or amendment?

Just curious.

Akahoushi Rezo:

Can I join the competition too?

AGPO:

Akahoushi - anyone can enter our competitions as long as they’re registered on the site.

clam:

Uhm... Even though I'm happy to see another Artisan contest and I can't wait to read the entries... We've already done this. Thommy H was the winner and the rules for Gozzadini and Kazharn arer in WoH#8 if I'm correct. I was expecting something new...

Skink
My thoughts exactly :(

Nicodemus:

Uhm... Even though I'm happy to see another Artisan contest and I can't wait to read the entries... We've already done this. Thommy H was the winner and the rules for Gozzadini and Kazharn arer in WoH#8 if I'm correct. I was expecting something new...

Skink

clam
I just followed through to the thread in the Rules Development section. Gosh... that was not that long ago, 10-11 months.   I'm wondering where I was back in January/February this year as I don't remember even seeing that thread, and certainly don't recall seeing any of those entries! I guess it was popular enough it's worth making a more official contest?!?

I guess the pdf of all the entries is a good place for folks to start looking if they want ideas on what has been done... although there are some experts out there who will undoubtedly have no trouble coming up with something novel and reasonably balanced.

~N

Grimstonefire:

@zobo

It has to have a minimum unit size as I laid out, determined by what it is.

Baggronor:

Is the word count limit really necessary? I just wrote mine and its longer, but I can’t edit it down any further :frowning:

Thommy H:

Yeah, I’d like to question the word count too. I get that the idea is to make it less of a fluff competition (?) but it’s a bit weird that it doesn’t affect the special rules - is it supposed to be that just the fluff is subject to the limit? Do the stat lines count? Equipment? Magic Items?

Would it not be simpler to have an overall word count of 1500 or something?

Grimstonefire:

Stat lines, equipment magic items etc do not count, as they are all part of the rules description (which has no word limit).

If people spent 200 words describing the fluff behind what the ‘Will of Hashut’ special rule means to to their RoR that’s up to them, but it wouldn’t leave many for the unit story.  It would not be ‘simpler’ to have a larger word count, as it’s easy to edit it down from my end either way.

This is part way between a fluff and a rules contest, so by having a fairly restrictive word count people are going to have to impress in both areas and may not be able to win by one side alone.

Baggronor:

Hmm… can’t really see a way to shorten mine enough, as the story is kinda the point. Oh well, probably have to give it a miss then :frowning:

Willmark:

Skink

clam
I just followed through to the thread in the Rules Development section. Gosh... that was not that long ago, 10-11 months.   I'm wondering where I was back in January/February this year as I don't remember even seeing that thread, and certainly don't recall seeing any of those entries!  I guess it was popular enough it's worth making a more official contest?!?

I guess the pdf of all the entries is a good place for folks to start looking if they want ideas on what has been done... although there are some experts out there who will undoubtedly have no trouble coming up with something novel and reasonably balanced.

~N

Nicodemus
Again, that was not a Artisan's Contest.

Thommy H:

If people spent 200 words describing the fluff behind what the 'Will of Hashut' special rule means to to their RoR that's up to them, but it wouldn't leave many for the unit story. It would not be 'simpler' to have a larger word count, as it's easy to edit it down from my end either way.
Yes, you'd obviously describe the fluff for the rule in the special rule section. So, while the fluff section has a really harsh word limit, apparently we can spend thousands of words describing something as long as we put a bold heading in front of it and say it's part of the flavour text for a rule?

Right now, the background section for my unit is just over 500, and I can easily edit that down (I haven't even done a first proofread yet), but I'm horribly aware that I've packed a fair amount of background into the special rules section, so that the total words are now easily over 1,000. I want to know if that's in the spirit of this word limit, because it makes the whole business seem a little pointless to me.

clam:

Again, that was not a Artisan's Contest.

Willmark
And...???

Official or not - you really can't blame us for finding this a bit .... 'uninspirational'. Can't see why an unofficial event needs an 'official' one so soon after - thats all.

Grimstonefire:

@Thommy.

The reason I put an overall cap on all fluff parts was to stop people writing 500 words on the background and another 3000 (etc) on the fluff descriptions for the special rules.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H - I may have misinterpreted, but it seems you think the 500 words is just for the fluff and not for the fluff of each special rule. I’m fairly certain (and correct me if I’m wrong) that anything not classed as part of the rules (I.E. Any flavour text, such as a description of how a magic item works in the WH world instead of its rules) counts against the 500 words.

To those asking why it’s a limit of 500 words, it’s because it’s to prevent it being fluff over rules, but fluff is allowed so that it’s not rules over fluff. 500 words is enough to get a point across, but is also a test - professional writers almost always have word limits to adhere to, so I see no reason why it’s a problem here.

Baggronor:

professional writers almost always have word limits to adhere to, so I see no reason why it's a problem here.
I'm not a professional writer ;P

I'll just write a different entry I guess. It won't be as good though.

nitroglysarine:

Do what everyone does with word limits, refer to an appendix and then you are set ;D

Always works with dissertations :wink:

Skink:

…I don’t wanna sound like I’m moaning but I share Clam’s thoughts!

Baggronor:

but I share Clam's thoughts!
That must get inconvenient ;)

I have to agree, it wasn't what I hoped for, but then again it must be hard to consistently think up themes that are markedly different to GH.