[Archive] Ash's army of Chaos dwarfs

asheira:

[edit]

[size=xx-large]Here are my heros/lords[/size]

Sorcerer of shadows and sorcerer of fire

CD hero

BC hero

I made out of the grudge pony and a forest goblin.

[size=xx-large]Core[/size]

CD warriors

CD blunderbusses

Hobbo Archers

Hobbos with hand weapons

unit of 20

[size=xx-large]special[/size]

Artilery

Death Rocket

Hobbo bolt thrower

[size=xx-large]Rare[/size]

Dogs of War Norse Marauders

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Xander:

You should not put things in the background like this. Your camera has focused on other things. Try using sheets of white paper propped up against a wall. That will give the auto focus to your models instead of to the background.

asheira:

Thanks

i’ll do that

torn:

some of the conversion ideas are really good

i cant help thinking you could probably practice your painting a bit. it does look like you have rushed them just to get them done. of course you might not be the type of gamer who just wants to get his stuff on the table and battle, but a bit more patience, really just going over them covering the bits that have gone over the lines and couloring a few of the details differenly, will double or triple how good the army looks.

just take it one unit at a time, and eventually you will get there.

i hope my post doesnt sound patronising, but i do know that with a bit more time you can make these fantastic!

asheira:

some of the conversion ideas are really good

i cant help thinking you could probably practice your painting a bit. it does look like you have rushed them just to get them done. of course you might not be the type of gamer who just wants to get his stuff on the table and battle, but a bit more patience, really just going over them covering the bits that have gone over the lines and couloring a few of the details differenly, will double or triple how good the army looks.

just take it one unit at a time, and eventually you will get there.

i hope my post doesnt sound patronising, but i do know that with a bit more time you can make these fantastic!

torn
actualy the problem is my eyesight stinks and i don't have a good brush

although i do kinda stink at painting anyway
The wizard looked better at one point but i droped a perminate marker on him and i'm out of paint (that's the plack part on his arm)

My woodelfs look worse.

torn:

yeah eyesight can be a problem, i am long sighted myself and have real problems focusing on small details unless i hold the mini away from me, which is a hard distance to paint at lol. i know ill never have perfect details but i have managed to get to a high tabletop standard after about 16 years of painting. i have been meaning to get an eye test for about 2 years, still hasnt happened.

i think the GW detail and fine detail brushes are good to use, the detail brush for larger areas, it may take longer to get a full coverage but its easier to paint just what you want to. everybody says a bad workman blames his tools but equally so a workman with useless gear wont get much good work done.

i dont know if you live near a GW store or not but if you take a couple of your minis down their they might give you some advice if they arent bust, and possibly let you use thei paints and stuff. i know they used to do this years back im not sure if they are to stingy to do it nowadays.

asheira:

Also i just started warhammer less than a year ago, so i don’t realy have experiance in painting yet.

so basicly, i have every problem in my painting exept lack of fingers.:smiley:

Kera foehunter:

Wow you omost have your whole cd army done good job!! Asheira

Perv:

They look as though they are only basecoated to be honest mate. What you can do to bring them all to life very easily and requires no skill at all is to dip them. Let me know if you dont know what I am talking about and I wil find you some tutorials. If you live in US its perfect as you can use Polymers Minwax to do it.

I live in UK and have no access to Polymers and cant find the right varnish to use here so I use my own mix of black ink, brown ink, water and vallejo matt medium to achieve the result. If you’re good at painting you will think my techniques are blasphemy but if you’re as crap as me at painting they are life savers and make tabletop quality minis in no time and with very litlte effort

Kera foehunter:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dipping is a sin againt hashut.

i rather use inks . the best is just paint in thin out layer of paint. It gives it deapth.

torn:

isnt dipping just used for showing details on unpainted minis? like catalogues etc?

i think the main thing here is just practice and patience. eventually you will be one with the force . . .

Ishkur Cinderhat:

You should definitely invest some money into a good brush. On some of the dwarf warriors (less so with the barbarians) the colours are everywhere and not only where they are supposed to be.

I actually find that dipping is perfectly suitable for rank and file and will always improve the paintjob - unless you otherwise invest a lot of time into detail painting.

asheira:

You should definitely invest some money into a good brush. On some of the dwarf warriors (less so with the barbarians) the colours are everywhere and not only where they are supposed to be.

I actually find that dipping is perfectly suitable for rank and file and will always improve the paintjob - unless you otherwise invest a lot of time into detail painting.

Ishkur Cinderhat
I'm limited right not to the paints I got in BFSP, I haven't found my box with my paints in them out in my garage, or my glasses.
(I moved recently)

Also, the Marauders are my dad's (he plays hords of chaos)

I put them up because i use them in my army when ever i can

Xander:

Ahh, much better pictures! Also be weary not to put the camera too close to themodel, as you have done with the Thane. Most cameras have a focus length, and anything clsoer than that length will not be clear. :slight_smile:

I also agree dipping might be a suitable method for helping these guys out.

Excellent use of the BFSP set!

asheira:

i found my sister’s paint brusses and some of my old paints, so i’m gonna try to paint my models better

Kera foehunter:

I say noooooooooooooooo to dipping it like putting a candy bar on you white leater seat.

all you have to do is add white to the flesh if you don’t have many colors .or brown and flesh to use in the between the muscle . if you have only a few colors do a dark ( that adding brown to a flesh color)the a color ( like flesh) and then the hight lights( mixing white with flesh) . stay away from dipping it does not make them look any better.

GRNDL:

re: brushes

Good brushes are the key to good painting, IMHO. Spending $10 Cdn on a good brush will pay off in the long run - a well kept brush won’t lose hairs and will last years. A cheapo brush will need replacing in a matter of months.

I’ve been using Windsor & Newton Kolinsky Sable brushes for the majority of my mini painting and they’ve kept a good point despite some abuse. W & N used to make a line of brushes aimed at miniature and figurine painting. I only use Citadel brushes for drybrushing - I buy the “large detail brush” and use an X-acto knife to cut the bristles off about 4-5mm into it - its stiff enough to hold pigment but also good for stippling.

re: inks, washes, dipping

I agree with Kera on this one: inks/washes are the way to go. Save the dipping for the space marine army you don’t really want to paint. :slight_smile: I find myself going through the basic routine on every part of my models: base colour, ink/wash, mid-shade, highlight. You don’t need a lot of dexterity to do it and the results are usually pretty good. You just need the patience to go over every part of a model several times.

Even if you don’t do touch ups after an ink wash, you can a lot of punch out of them. A dilute ink or paint wash will fill in the recesses and make everything look more defined.

Perv:

Its ok if you have the skill to apply highlights to the figs but I’ve been painting since 1992 and I am still absolutely useless at it !!! I agree that if you have any skill then dipping isnt a preferred choice but for a beginner its a very fast way of getting a tabletop quality army.

Rather than spend the next 2 years trying to get the army how you like it, you can basecoat then dip an army making it tabletop quality so you have something to play with. Then you can spend the next 2 years getting paint consistencies right and practicing with inks and improving your brush skill.

Dipping isnt for bare metal figs but think Hasslefree have something about that, dipping adds shading to recesses and leaves highlights on the whole figure when basically basecoated. The only thing you have to think about is what colours to basecoat as some colours work better by being dipped than others.

Merchant:

Your all over army is very interesting - great

But I have to ask - why Norse Marauders as Rare (DoW) choice?

asheira:

Your all over army is very interesting - great
But I have to ask - why Norse Marauders as Rare (DoW) choice?

Merchant
[size=xx-large]Post 100![/size]

They work like chaos marauders, and i'm having an aliance between Hordes of Chaos and CD i thought it would be interesting
Also my dad plays hordes
(he sometimes borrows my CD for DoW dwarfs)