[Archive] Astragoth: A "Just for Fun" update

Thommy H:

So here’s my version of Astragoth. His rules and character are highly motivated by the image I have in my head of him stalking the Plain of Zharr in his mechanical suit with jerky movements and the scary Tin-Man music playing. This version is supposed to represent the manic, twisted inventor aspect of the Chaos Dwarfs and, in game terms, he’s a high-level wizard to be used offensively, targeting destructive spells (and his Steam Attack) at short range.

Astragoth: High Priest of Hashut

Chaos Dwarfs respect age as much as their western kin, and the title of High Priest of Hashut traditionally falls to the oldest Sorcerer Lord currently living. For Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers, this takes on particular significance, as during their lives, their use of dark magic gradually turns their bodies to stone. The older a Sorcerer is, the more immobile he becomes, and the more his power wanes. It is only the iron bonds of respect and tradition that allow the High Priests of Hashut to maintain their standing, and they must constantly watch out for the dealings of more unscrupulous, younger Sorcerers.

Astragoth is the current High Priest of Hashut and therefore the oldest living Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer. During the height of his powers, he was the most powerful Sorcerer to walk the Plain of Zharr in a thousand years. Now, however, his petrified body can no longer master magic as it once did, for almost all of Astargoth’s body is now stone. He must carried from place to place by his followers, and his underlings must perform many of the more complex rites of his spells. In an effort to overcome these disabilities, Astragoth ordered the creation of a special device blending sorcery and technology: a mechanical body grafted to his stone limbs that now enables him to move and cast spells. Where other Sorcerers must rely on the help of their servants and become increasingly feeble, Astragoth can now take part in battles, lending his considerable magical talent to Chaos Dwarf slaving parties, as well as using his mechanical might to physically pummel his enemies - something other Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers can only dream of.

Most Dawi’Zharr consider Astragoth quite mad, but while he lives he is still the High Priest of Hashut and they must accept him, mechanical body and all.

Astragoth is the oldest Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer in existence and the High Priest of Hashut. He is a Lord choice, but if used he also takes up a Hero slot. He must be used exactly as described below and no additional equipment or magic items may be taken.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 5 3 5 5 3 3 2 10

Weapons: The Hammerhand

Armour: Stone body (3+ Armour save)

MAGIC

Astragoth is a Level 4 Wizard and may chose to use either the Fire, Metal, Shadow or Death lores of magic from the Warhammer rulebook.

SPECIAL RULES

Mechanical Limbs: Astragoth wears an elaborate construction that combines dark magic and twisted science. This device enables him to move at the increased rate as shown on his profile. However, Astragoth may move no faster than this, and cannot march. He may only charge 6". The only exception to this is fleeing and pursuing, when Astragoth will move 2D6".

Steam Attack: True to his devious and unhinged personality, Astragoth has discovered a brutal method of attack utilising his mechanical limbs that he occasionally uses when the opportunity arises. Switching the pistons that power his limbs around to face nearby foes, Astragoth emits a gout of scalding hot steam that causes agonising burns. Astragoth counts as having a breath weapon attack that hits at Strength 3 and is flaming, however note that he can only use this if he does not move in the Movement phase as it requires him to utilise his pistons for something besides moving.

Stone Body: Astragoth’s body has almost entirely succumbed to the Sorcerer’s Curse, and much of him is now made of stone. In addition to its debilitating effects, this horrific transformation also makes Astragoth extremely difficult to harm. He benefits from a 3+ Armour save, which doesn’t affect his ability to cast spells. This save may not be combined with any other form of armour.

MAGIC ITEMS

The Hammerhand

Astragoth’s mechanical suit is powered by steam-driven pistons. As well as allowing him to move, these pistons are also capable of sending his stone fists into overdrive, pounding on anyone unfortunate to be in his path. The effect of a steam-powered arm made of solid rock is rarely anything but fatal.

The Hammerhand confers the killing blow ability on Astragoth’s attacks.

The Rod of Obsidian

This short staff crafted of black volcanic glass is the badge of office for the High Priest of Hashut and forces the winds of magic to bend to the will of its holder, creating a vortex of anti-magic that protects him from enemy spells.

The Rod of Obsidian allows any Dispel attempt to be re-rolled.

The Mark of Hashut

All Chaos Gods have the power to grant their followers sacred Marks, embodying them with a small portion of their infinite power. Hashut is no different, but the natural resistance that Dwarfs possess towards magic as well as the nature of their strictly ordered society means that Hashut only gifts his mark to his mightiest servant: the High Priest. The Mark of Hashut is unique to Astragoth and gives him unparalleled mastery over his god’s chief domain: fire.

The Mark of Hashut grants Astragoth a 5+ Ward save and renders him immune to all fire-based attacks, including spells and magic weapons that involve fire or are flaming. In addition to this, should Astragoth chose to use the Lore of Fire for his spells, he channels the raw ferocity of Hashut into his magic and generates an additional power dice in his own magic phase.

Comments, thoughts and criticism welcome.

Hammerhand:

wow, that’s a lot of points!

Thommy H:

I just realised I made a mistake and he should only be 475.

But even so, it sure is. He’s costed based on the following:

- Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord

- Level 4

- Sword of Battle for A increase

- Armour of the Gods (Dark Shadows magic item) for Save and Strength increase

- Fusil of Conflagration (Dark Shadows magic item) for Steam Attack

- Axe of Khorne (Hordes of Chaos magic item) for Killing Blow

- Wand of Wych Elm (Wood Elves magic item) for Obsidian Rod

- Armour of the Furnace (-10 pts because there’s no armour save) for the Mark of Hashut

- About 20 points for the power dice thing.

hal:

He is very expensive. I don’t really see why anybody would take him. I commemorate you for trying to bring Astragoth into 7th Ed but I don’t think it’s very well thought out.

His rules, IMO, are a bit all over the place, as if you’re not too sure what his function should be in the game. The mechanical limbs rule seems rather pointless to me as he’ll no doubt always be accompanied by a unit.

Is the steam attack able to be used in combat?

Thommy H:

He is very expensive. I don't really see why anybody would take him. I commemorate you for trying to bring Astragoth into 7th Ed but I don't think it's very well thought out.

His rules, IMO, are a bit all over the place, as if you're not too sure what his function should be in the game. The mechanical limbs rule seems rather pointless to me as he'll no doubt always be accompanied by a unit.

hal
Which is precisely why it costs him no points. Even so, that's a holdover from his original rules, so it stays.

Actually, his rules work together fine. As I said in the opening blurb, he's a powerful wizard to be used aggressively - using fire magic, he has a set of powerful short-range attacks (including the Steam Attack which, as a breath weapon, can't be used in combat, no). His ability to dispel enemy magic reliably, his high armour save (especially for a wizard) and his ward mean he's going to be hard to pick off. He can hold his own in combat against small skirmishing units and lone characters because that's exactly what his background suggests.

Imagine him as part of a counter-charge unit (like blunderbusses), blasting away at short-range before moving in to splat everyone.

cornixt:

I think it is pretty good. Give him an extra wound.

I like the fact that he is big, powerful and costs loads of points - he should! While it is nice to have the occasional low point special character, the big ones are really only ever going to come out for the big battles anyway. Even so, he is pretty weedy in comparison to Lord Croak and Settra (who are way more expensive anyway).

Thommy H:

I avoided the extra Wound because the original Astragoth didn’t have it and, as a rule, characters have been toned down since then. It would certainly make sense though since he’s supposed to be able to survive.