[Archive] Azakil Ashbound's Legion

Rakkzul:

As I posted a few days ago, i just started a Chaos Dwarf army with Mantic figures, so I wanted to start an army post to share my slow slow slow progress with you.

Yesterday I managed to open my box of abyssal dwarfs, and started assembling some of them, it felt weird having almost everything on a bag, since I’m too used to GW boxes :stuck_out_tongue:

The minis are pretty cool, very chaotic feeling, but they doesn’t glue good together, and they’re almost mono-pose (you got many chests, hands and heads, but they only fit in 3-4 combinations without greenstuff)

[attachment=4942][attachment=4941]

My favourite mini so far, he got a demonic face on his chest AND some nasty demon as helmet

[attachment=4943]

And another thing that I liked is that you can fit them very easily, with those “double bases” without cutting anything, unlike some GW minis

tjub:

Good luck with the project! If I ever were to redo CDS Id probably do it with Mantics Abyssals. Like them alot! :slight_smile:

Axtklinge:

Those Mantic minis do look really nice (in a Chaos Dwarf “nice” kind of way).

It’s a pity they’ve casted them in that (almost) mono-pose kind of way.

Good luck with putting your army together, and keep us updated!

A.

Admiral:

Best of luck with your project! Opening Mantic VHS boxes is always a pleasure, though the larger infantry unit kits of 40 or so still come in simple cardboard boxes.

Jackswift:

A good start. I do not have direct experience with it (yet), though I’ve heard some say that superglue works better with Mantic plastics than plastic glue. Something to do with the composition of the plastic. If you continue to have difficulty with the glue, try that. Cheers, JR

Fuggit Khan:

My favourite mini so far, he got a demonic face on his chest AND some nasty demon as helmet

Rakhzul
I really like that mini too. I think of all the various incarnations of Chaos Dwarf miniatures (3rd edition, Big Hats, FW, Russian Alternative, etc), it is the Mantic Abyssal Dwarfs who have the most demonic/chaotic look to them.
I agree with tjub, if I were to redo my army I would go with the Mantic Abyssals.
Have fun with them, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them :hat off

JMR:

A good start.  I do not have direct experience with it (yet), though I've heard some say that superglue works better with Mantic plastics than plastic glue.  Something to do with the composition of the plastic.  If you continue to have difficulty with the glue, try that.  Cheers, JR

Jackswift
Yep, this is true. Plastic glue only works with true, hard plastics. The ones that come on sprues basically.

For this resin/plastic mix, you need to use Super Glue.

Admiral:

Nice, good luck with the army! Mantic Abyssal Dwarfs do indeed have a Chaotic look to them. My advice after years of collecting, painting, playing and having models toppled by cats, would be to pin and super glue as much as you possibly can. No arms, heads or weapons should be allowed to fall off. This might not be such a huge issue with these miniatures, however.

Mrowa:

For sure I will follow your blog. Nice to see someone else making Mantic-based chaos dwarfs army :slight_smile: Good luck!

Tokheim:

I second the above address about drilling and pinning figures,

I do it almost 100% of the time anymore, with both metal and plastic figures. Comes from them dropping on the floor from three feet up on the gaming table, and sort of “exploding” into their component pieces.

Pinning ROCKS!!!

Rakkzul:

After some time without any updates… I went to my local gaming shop and bought some Decimators, so I can use them as Blunderbusses

Remember what did I said about the plastic minis being a bit hard to glue? This ones were a pain. Metal + Mantic plastics hate each other, so I had to use green stuff in every mini, for things such as simply having their arms+weapon in place…

I’m looking forward to the day I’ll start painting this guys… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jackswift:

Looking good! Looking forward to seeing paint on these. The afore-mentioned pinning might be worth trying as an alternate solution to greenstuffing every model. It tends to have a similar effect, and if the hole size is close enough to the pin size it will hold items that don’t want to bond in place long enough for the glue to get a solid hold. Cheers!

Fuggit Khan:

I love those Decimator models, I want to buy a set of them too. Are you using crazy glue on the models? Crazy glue works great for plastic to metal…but I understand the need of green stuff to fill in gaps (I do the same thing too).

I’m looking forward to seeing them all painted up :slight_smile:

And Dubble Bubble gum! Hashut approves :hashut

Mrowa:

As i see you also have “old” deciminators :smiley: I love them, but because of unfitting metal arms with blunderbusses it needs some greenstuff work (when I’ve been doing it I cursed so much… so I know your struggle well). By the way the new ones are fixed but unfortunately they’re coming only in 10-man packs :c

I wonder what painting scheme you’ll follow :slight_smile: Keep going!

Rakkzul:

Looking good!  Looking forward to seeing paint on these.  The afore-mentioned pinning might be worth trying as an alternate solution to greenstuffing every model.  It tends to have a similar effect, and if the hole size is close enough to the pin size it will hold items that don't want to bond in place long enough for the glue to get a solid hold.  Cheers!

Jackswift
Yes, I think I'll pin the next models (Probably the centaurs), just for safety
I love those Decimator models, I want to buy a set of them too. Are you using crazy glue on the models? Crazy glue works great for plastic to metal...but I understand the need of green stuff to fill in gaps (I do the same thing too).
I'm looking forward to seeing them all painted up :)

And Dubble Bubble gum! Hashut approves :hashut

Fuggit Khan
I'm not sure on how do you call it outside Spain, I'm using Cyanoacrylate, it used to work well with GW minis, so didn't bother to change it

And the bubble gum is awesome! It was a gift my mother gave to all the kids on her wedding, and I managed to steal a spare one, very Hobgoblin-y
As i see you also have "old" deciminators :D I love them, but because of unfitting metal arms with blunderbusses it needs some greenstuff work (when I've been doing it I cursed so much... so I know your struggle well). By the way the new ones are fixed but unfortunately they're coming only in 10-man packs :c

I wonder what painting scheme you'll follow :) Keep going!

Mrowa
It was hard finding them, crawled the internet, the big stores here... And in the end, this little shop 5 mins away from my home had it. Regarding the paining... I think I'm trying to give them an obsidian armor look :cheers