[Archive] Baseplate to FW DS Rocket

Yodrin:

Chariot base is mostly used?

Samanos:

a chariot base yes

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Thommy H:

War machines don’t need bases.

Yodrin:

War machines don't need bases.

Thommy H
I know, but it looks better:) And u need one in tourneys

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’ve never been to a tournament where war machines required bases…

Samanos:

I've never been to a tournament where war machines required bases...

Grimbold Blackhammer
ETC does (see what I did there?)
but yeah still many tournaments have that aside the ETC.

Thommy H:

Well they shouldn’t, since the Rulebook is pretty specific about war machines not requiring bases. You measure all shots from the barrel of the weapon, you have to be in contact with the hull to complete a charge, and the crew are literally only there as Wound markers. There’s no mechanical reason for it to even require a base, and putting it on one that’s “too big” would only disadvantage the player stupid enough to do it (by making it easier to charge).

Yodrin:

Well chariot base it is… lol

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The ETC likes to make up rules and play very much in their own little world. So glad I don’t have to suffer them.

GodHead:

Fight them over there so we don’t have to fight them over here!

Singleton Mosby:

Well they shouldn't, since the Rulebook is pretty specific about war machines not requiring bases. You measure all shots from the barrel of the weapon, you have to be in contact with the hull to complete a charge, and the crew are literally only there as Wound markers. There's no mechanical reason for it to even require a base, and putting it on one that's "too big" would only disadvantage the player stupid enough to do it (by making it easier to charge).

Thommy H
So buying the Forgeworld Death Shrieker puts you at a disadvantage compared to the old one which was very small (25mm or something), let alone the bazooka guy.......

Thommy H:

Yep. Of course, the FW model is supposed to be on a steam carriage, which gives you certain advantages in return.

Soulassassin:

Little did Yodrin know, that he just opened a can of nerdrage ;P… Many tourneys (at least in Norway, if that counts as many:)) encourage bases for warmachines. Some even require it.

Yodrin:

Little did Yodrin know, that he just opened a can of nerdrage ;P... Many tourneys (at least in Norway, if that counts as many:)) encourage bases for warmachines. Some even require it.

Soulassassin
Jupp, jupp and jupp. But WM imo looks better with a baseplate

Thommy H:

Yes, they do look better, but that’s literally the only reason to use it. So it doesn’t matter what other people use, or what it’s “supposed” to be on (because it’s not): just pick which one you think looks best. Its a wholly aesthetic concern.

RiTides:

My concern with basing my non-steam-carriage warmachines is, what if bases are required in the next edition (likely 2015) of a certain size, and then I have to re-do it all?

I based my hellcannons for my previous WoC army, when no base size was specified. And now they’re supposed to be on those Huge 100x150mm bases, I believe… at least that’s what the finecast one on the GW website is listed as :-/

Marduk:

Yes, they do look better, but that's literally the only reason to use it. So it doesn't matter what other people use, or what it's "supposed" to be on (because it's not): just pick which one you think looks best. Its a wholly aesthetic concern.

Thommy H
The other reason is that the base makes the model sturdier so that it doesn't fall apart during transportation... or when an observer picks up the model from the gaming table saying, "Oh, what a cool model, I had never seen this one before - crash!!"

GodHead:

I hate the Forgeworld Deathshrieker model honestly.

The launcher itself is uninspired and looks more like a craftsman’s workbench. With no ability to elevate. Good thinking.

But the rocket… My god. What is it supposed to be?

"Hi everyone, I’m a very angry pineapple!"

RAR!

Bassman:

I do agree with GodHead, the FW death rocket is the most dissapointing new warmachine. Well, you had the possibility to build an huge rocket to terrorize your enemy and you end with… this!!! Pleeeeease :slight_smile:

Ugly Green Trog:

I do agree with GodHead, the FW death rocket is the most dissapointing new warmachine. Well, you had the possibility to build an huge rocket to terrorize your enemy and you end with.... this?!?! Pleeeeease :)

Bassman
Tbh I think it's supposed to be the sound that's terrifying, I doubt many of its victims get the chance to get a good look at it before it explodes, it could look like hello kitty and would still serve its purpose.

I really like the deathshrieker and I explain the elevation issue away by saying that it has a large threaded bolt on its front axel that when turned threads through the axel from below raising the barrel. All my war machines are mounted on 100x100 bases as it looks cool and gives you the chance to get a bit creative, since the majority of our crew are fixed to the model I don't see it as an issue. Not to mention the fact that I hate scraping my painted war machines round on a textured board without the protection of a base.