[Archive] Beasts of War

Hobgoblyn:

This thread is for designing the various monsters and beasts of the Chaos Dwarf/Hobgoblin force. Since Chaos Dwarves themselves don’t do a lot with animals, this threat will focus mostly on those brought to bare by the later. The flip of this is going to be the War Machines thread, so without further adieu let’s get these up.

Taurus

This is basically a huge winged bull. Everyone has seen the old model, I would hope.

|������������ M����WS�� BS�� S����T�� W�� I�� A����Ld
Great Taurus��6����5����0����6����5�� 4�� 3�� 4����6
Special Abilities: Large target, Terror, Fly, Immune to Fire, Tough Hide (4+ Save), Breath Weapon (S3)

Usable By: Chaos Dwarf Lord (+230 pts)

Lammasu

This is a huge lion with wings, the horns of a bull and the huge face of a Chaos Dwarf.
Lammasu������ 6����3����0����5����5�� 4�� 2�� 2����8
Special Abilities: Large target, Terror, Fly, Magic Resistance (2)

Usable By: Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer [Magic Lord] (+200 pts)

Giant Wolf

The basic mount of the Hobgoblins, it is exactly like the Goblin one except it is big enough for a man-sized hobgoblin to ride.
Giant Wolf����9����3����0����3����3�� 1�� 3�� 1����3
Special Abilities: Provides the Fast Calvary ability unless a unit has heavy armor or both light armor and a shield

Usable By: Hobgoblin Lords (except Rogue) (+12 pts), Various units (see below)

Battle Mounts

These can either be giant wolves that are bigger and stronger than normal or tigers instead. The important thing is that they are bigger, stronger and deadlier than the Giant Wolves.
Battle Mount��8����4����0����4����4�� 2�� 4�� 2����4
Special Abilities: Mount gives the rider an additional +1 to armor

Usable By: Hobgoblin Lords [Warrior Hero] (+25pts), Battle Riders (see below)

Storm Ravens

Giant birds that are said to be able to create thunder claps with the flap of their wings and are able to pick up horses with each talon.
Storm Raven�� 3����6����0����5����5�� 4�� 6�� 4����7
Special Abilities: Large Target, Fly, Terror

Usable By: Hobgoblin Lords
Hobhound������8����3����0����4����3�� 1�� 2�� 1����4
Beast Master��4����3����3����3����3�� 1�� 3�� 1����6
Equipment: The Beastmaster has light armor and a hand weapon, a shield and a hand weapon and is mounted on a giant wolf.

Special Abilities

Relentless Chase: Hobhounds are used to track down enemies within the snowy forests and icy plains of the Hobgoblin’s home. They suffer no movement penalties for moving through woods. They suffer penalties for other terrain as nomrla. HobHounds cannot be joined by characters other than their Beast Masters and do not cause Panic tests in friendly units except other HobHounds, although they benefit from the General’s Leadership and Battle Standard as normal.

Beast Master: Hobhounds are often led by Beast Masters, warriors mounted on Giant Wolves who guide them towards the foe. The Beast Master is bought as an upgrade in the same way as a unit Champion and is treated as a Champion in all respects, ie, he cannot be singled out as a target for missle weapons, may issue and accept challenges, etc. Note that as long as any HobHounds remain alive, the Beast Master will be restricted to their movement of 8, even though his wolf would nomrlaly be able to move faster. He still benefits from the HobHounds’ Relentless Chase rule.

Wolf Riders (Core unit) - 13pts/model, Unit Size: 5+

The basic light calvary unit that ride the Giant Wolves (explained above)
Wolf Rider����4����3����3����3����3�� 1�� 3�� 1����6
Equipment: Light armor, hand weapons, mounted on Giant Wolves

Specail Rules: Fast Calvary

Upgrades: Spears(+1pt/model), Bows (+3pt/model), Shields (+1pt/model) (Note: if you equip the shield you lose Fast Calvary)

Rage Riders (Special Unit) - 16pts/model, Unit Size: 5+

Wolf riders that are upgraded slightly for melee confrontation.
Rage Rider����4����3����3����3����3�� 1�� 3�� 1����6
Equipment: Light armor, hand weapon, shield, mounted on Giant Wolves

Special Rules: Frenzy

Upgrades: Spears (+1pt/model), Heavy Armor (+2pt/model)

Battle Riders (Rare Unit) - 35pts/model, Unit Size: 5+

The top elite calvary for the Hobgoblins (for the entire Greenskin race, actually). They ride the powerful tigers or the specially bred giant wolves.
Battle Rider��4����4����3����4����3�� 2�� 3�� 1����6
Battle Mount��8����4����0����4����-�� -�� 4�� 2����4
Equipment: Heavy armor, hand weapon, shield

Upgrades: Spears or Great Weapons

Special Upgrades: 1 unit may take a magical banner worth up to 50pts

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looks good, but replace generates two dispel dice (for the lammasu) with Magic Resistance (2). It makes more sense to me.

itcamefromthedeep:

—Dwarf cavalry looks rediculous. The legs simply are not long enough. The yinvariably look precariously perched, even more so then the precariously perched Lords of other races. Dwarfs like to keep their feet firmly planted on the ground, or preferably below it. I know that is less the case with Cds, but I strongly believe that it still holds true. I strongly believe that the large monsters of the CDs either need a riderless overhaul or be relegated to the swcrapheap of design.

—The Lammasu can work as an unridden monster, because after all they are just as smart as any other Chaos Dwarf. I would like to see them as fast flankers or war machine hunters, NOT combat monsters.

metro_gnome:

should CDs become part of the chaos army… i’ll use my riderless lammansu as an exalted daemon…

itcamefromthedeep:

—I really do not believet the CDs belong with Chaos. “Chaos Dwarf” is a misnomer: they have as much to do with Chaos as the Skaven do, no more, no less. Skaven are just as much “Chaos Rats” as the Dawi Zharr are “Chaos Dwarfs”.

Hobgoblyn:

The only real problem with that suggestion, ICFRD, is that there isn’t a good slot for a riderless Taurus or Lammassu. The Rare section is already stuffed to the brim with War Machines. There isn’t any real basis for making a solo big monster a character (and the character section is stuffed pretty full too).

In addition, obviously, you’d be denying the CD Lords their most important upgrades. CD’s don’t get a super, over-the-top powerful Anvil in exchange for getting these big monsters. If we removed the monsters entirely, I think it would upset a number of people too.

metro_gnome:

i believe “Dawi Zharr” is the misnomer…

Chaos dwarfs were born to chaos armies in 2nd and 3rd ed… and lean that way again in 6th…

the 5th ed book is the one that is out of place…

but now that we do have an independent army i do hope we keep it…

im just preparing should the studio decide to return CDs to their rootz…

itcamefromthedeep:

—I concede that my knowledge of Chaos Dwarf fluff does not extend past the fifth edition pseudo-army-book.

—I am not entirely sure that the Chaos Dwarfs are leaning toward Dwarfs of Chaos as of the Storm of Chaos campaign. I see the Hellcannon more as a bribe to get Archaon to another way rather then invade the Darklands. The Skaven did something similar, remember (further reinforcing my opinion of an anlogous connection). Chaos Dwarfs don’t strike me as a force that “plays well with others”, unlike the diversity seen within the Hordes of Chaos.

—You make an important point, Hobgoblyn. The Lammasu makes a fourth rare choice in my list, along with Bull Centaurs, Earthshakers, and Hellcannons. Four Rare choices is not unheard of, however. The HE suffer from it (White Lions, Phoenix Guard, Eagle Claw bolt throwers, and Great Eagles). The Empire has that problem as well (Hellblaster, Hellstrom, Flagellants, and Steam Tanks). Their Special section has 5 choices. I don’t have to tell you how many characters ansd Special choices Chaos and Orcs have access to, or but Skaven also have a rather expansive Special section as well. The point is, space in the list is not a problem when you are dealing with a composite army list like we have.

metro_gnome:

chaos dwarfs appear to be the most diplomatic of all the “evil” races…
having economic relationships with Ogres, Chaos and O&G…
infact it appears that they perfer an altogether peaceful solution with all their neighbors… save skaven…
now they do pick and choose which O&G tribes they will be nice to… and for what price…

“playing nice” seems to be what CDs are all about…

itcamefromthedeep:

—Altogether peaceful, except for the whole constant slave raids thing (against all of their neighbors). Chaos Dwarfs are all about domination, and economic domination is certainly a form of domination. I suppose you could argue that Chaos Dwarfs are at peace with their slaves as well, but somehow that dosen’t srtike me as being friendly diplomatic relations.

Father Grumpmas:

Having supplied machine mounts to both the Ogres (the ironskin tribe) and orcs (the metal boar), I think that the CD’s were secretly contracted to build the Empire mechnical horse as well.

Funny how the Empire also “invented” a rocket launcher and a blunderbuss at the same time :slight_smile:

Supplying warmachines to both sides, using slave labour to build them - we really are the naughtiest race in the WHFB world.

Sorry for off-topic rabble.

Hobgoblyn:

A lot of this is off-topic. Shouldn’t it be taken to the Fluff forum? It really doesn’t have to do with reviewing, criticising or editing the least of beasties here.

Also, the mechanical steeds is a point missed… We should have a Special Character Hobgoblin Khan with a big mechanical wolf or tiger.

metro_gnome:

---Altogether peaceful, except for the whole constant slave raids thing (against all of their neighbors).

itcamefromthedeep
this assumes that O&G is some sort of organized unified force... which is clearly not the case...
Orcs go out and capture other tribes and sell em to us...
so as far a greenies go we are nice to about half of them... the successful half...

as for this list... i dont think i can comment...
it appears to be "Warhammer Armies: Hobgoblins" with CDs as Kislev-type allies...

metro_gnome:

chaos dwarfs appear to be the most diplomatic of all the “evil” races…
having economic relationships with Ogres, Chaos and O&G…
infact it appears that they perfer an altogether peaceful solution with all their neighbors… save skaven…
now they do pick and choose which O&G tribes they will be nice to… and for what price…

“playing nice” seems to be what CDs are all about…