[Archive] Berserkers and Chaos Dwarfs

Grimstonefire:

Should Berserkers be in the CD list?

If so, what would be their reasons fluffwise, how many units or characters? Any restrictions?

I have been thinking today of having 2 special choices as them, one as a proper unit, one as uber berserkers (unit size 1-6, skirmishers).

But is that too many?

Kera foehunter:

i think a core choise!! skirmishers would be cool!! i think they should be like the chaos mauraters!! light or no ammor!!

Willmark:

I look at it from the perspective that while resistant to mutation and chaos even chaos dwarfs eventually succumb. Beserkers would be those that chaos finally overwhelms.

Obsidian:

If you want two options then how about one special unit but with the option for an ‘upgrade’ similar like Chaos Warriors-Chosen.

I however would just go for one version, skirmishers and unbreakable/stubborn.

Thommy H:

Nope. Doesn’t fit - at least with the existing fluff. If you just want to design everything from the ground up then you can do what you want, but the current framework of Sorcerers ruling a giant temple city with a rigid hierarchy does not lend itself to berserkers. It’s just putting something in to match Slayers, which isn’t good army design, IMO.

I did once think about a unit of “Acolytes of Hashut”, somewhat like Plague Monks, which would have certain magic rules and gain bonuses if a Sorcerer was included in the unit. But they wouldn’t be frothing mad psychopaths - that just doesn’t fit for me.

And skirmishers? No. Just no. If you want a skirmishing unit have it be Hobgoblins. It doesn’t work with Dwarfs. Again, it’s just designing a unit for tactical reasons or because someone else has it.

Baggronor:

I think Sneaky Gits would be a more fitting choice for skirmishers were they to redo CDs. I don’t really think berserkers/Slayer-esque units really fit the CD society, unless they are mutants/possessed, in which case they would presumably be outcasts.

Grimstonefire:

Working with daemons is enough to drive anyone mad!

With humans they’d probably mutate into spawn, be a cultist, or wander north and join the dark legions.

Chaos Dwarfs are presumably the same as Dwarfs in terms of how they deal with things. With Dwarfs if they suffer a great shame, or do something seriously dishonourable they shave their heads and take the slayer oath.

How would a traumatised or possessed Chaos Dwarf react? I doubt they’d stay in the bar staring at their beer :wink: There would obviously be some seriously unhinged CD around, but the question is whether to represent them in the rules or not?

@Thommy H

I agree, there is no place for them in the ‘current’ fluff.

There was a mention in one of the White Dwarfs around 305 (UK), about crazed Chaos Dwarfs tearing great chunks from their skin, but it seems to be missing from our wiki

Personally I think they would add a lot of character.

Thommy H:

I agree, there is no place for them in the 'current' fluff.
Yeah, and since that's all there is to go on when offering opinions, I don't think they work. Of course, since you've created your own conception of Chaos Dwarfs then they might well have a place in that version of the army. That would be your call.
There was a mention in one of the White Dwarfs around 305 (UK), about crazed Chaos Dwarfs tearing great chunks from their skin, but it seems to be missing from our wiki
I have the White Dwarfs from that period, and I've never noticed any Chaos Dwarf references. Could you be more specific about what article/issue it was in?

slev:

I did once think about a unit of "Acolytes of Hashut", somewhat like Plague Monks, which would have certain magic rules and gain bonuses if a Sorcerer was included in the unit.

Thommy H
I did something similar. Taking them allows a small unit of skirmishers with frenzy, but they where inspired more by Flagelents/Plague Censer Bearers.

Auretious Taak:

I agree with Thommy H, they don’t fit, you’re just taking Slayers and shoving them into the CD framework. Possessed Chaos Dwarfs? Hey, lets bind him to a mechanical host and now we have a mount we can ride into battle upon. Whilst I somewhat agree that working withd emons is a bad thing, the fact that the entire society is exposed to it on a regular basis is more inline with the fact that whilst there is risk, it isn’t that great as they are well prepared, heck they created the Hellcannons, that’s some seriously potent forces being channelled and bound. If you were doing possessed CD’s I’d more point it towards Possesed Hob Gobs because of them being slaves and more likely to be closer to holding stuff down when we summon in some demonic help et al…but who knows. The demonic aspects of the fluff is only relatively new with the Hell Cannon and Archaon’s Storm of Chaos. I don’t think Possessed or Berserker dwarfs fit into the army at all. The force doesn’t have skirmishes currently and that makes it more unique because it is one of the few if not the only (can’t quite recall) lists without skirmishes, so you need to be tactically smarter then other players.

Auretious Taak.

Grimstonefire:

I have the White Dwarfs from that period, and I've never noticed any Chaos Dwarf references. Could you be more specific about what article/issue it was in?

Thommy H
I think it was this one

http://www.gamehobby.net/white_dwarf_magazine/white_dwarf_302.html

In the story about Reuben Kyte.  Fair enough I don't think it mentions 'Chaos Dwarfs' explicitly, but from the description its clearly them. If I can find my copy when I get home I'll have a look.

That reminds me, I need to write the final part of that series. I did a follow on (available by the link in my sig), but I never got round to them escaping the Temple of Zharr.

Thommy H:

Oh yeah, of course. I forgot that story - it certainly does allude to the Chaos Dwarfs, but I forget the exact context. Next time I’m at my parents’ I’ll have to dig out the relevant issue and amend the Wiki.

Willmark:

Heh here’s where they fit… When you have use your chaos dwarfs as regular dwarfs… Dark slayers doesn’t cut it do I’m thinking besetkers would be cool at least from gjr modeling perspective.

cornixt:

I don’t think we really know enough about CDs to exclude berserkers from existing. They were in 3rd edition, and no one seems to complain about people wedging in the boar centaurs, whirlwind, etc, to the current list.

It seems to me that you could use the same excuse to remove Flagellants, Witch Elves, etc, from the game since they are all roughly the same thing.

furrie:

The force doesn't have skirmishes currently and that makes it more unique because it is one of the few if not the only (can't quite recall) lists without skirmishes, so you need to be tactically smarter then other players.

Auretious Taak
warriors of chaos doesn't have skirmishes

Thommy H:

It seems to me that you could use the same excuse to remove Flagellants, Witch Elves, etc, from the game since they are all roughly the same thing.
But those things are backed up by their armies background. There's nothing in the Chaos Dwarf fluff to suggest some of them might go mental for some reason.

If you want to use Slayers in your counts-as Dwarf army, I think a unit of monk-types would be cooler. They wear robes instead of armour (rather than being naked), are Unbreakable because of their fanatical loyalty to Hashut and the wounding things on 4+ (they still have that, right?) is because of bound Daemons in their weapons or something.

"Berserkers" are just Slayers by another name. Let's think outside the box instead of just lifting units verbatim from other armies.

Kera foehunter:

lol slayer haters!!!

what about blind mad chaosdwarf

more of a dooms seeker or a ogre grouger that shows up on a battle field becase he was drawn there buy the sound of battle and the smell of blood

blind and unbreakerable controlled by a sorceror to keep him from attacking his own troops!!

cornixt:

There's nothing in the Chaos Dwarf fluff to suggest some of them might go mental for some reason.

Thommy H
There's not much in the Chaos Dwarf fluff, period (full stop, exclamation mark). It's not as if a huge amount of Chaos Dwarf culture has been covered like it has for the other armies
"Berserkers" are just Slayers by another name. Let's think outside the box instead of just lifting units verbatim from other armies.
People have suggested having them as skirmishers, which would make them play differently to Slayers. If you only think of them as being naked crazy dwarfs then of course you'll think they are Slayers. No one says that berserkers have to be naked, or shave their hair/beards oddly. They don't have to share any of the special rules, except possibly for Unbreakable.

If you're going to shoot down a unit for being too similar to an existing unit then we would only have Sneaky Gits and BCs in the army!

grunts:

Personally I don’t think the Berserker idea fits with the fluff. I do think there is place for a nutter unit, I just think it would be of a more arcane/mechanical sort. CDs who have been too long in the deepest pits of the daemonforges. Possible something as simple as an upgraded blunderbuss unit with flaming & magical attacks, or even go as far as to give them +1 str and the ability to extend the range at the expense of strength.

Ghrask Dragh:

Well, looks like I’m part of the minority again :slight_smile:

The fact that we are even slightly chaotic is reason enough for some to become ‘overcome’. A direct link to Slayers is a bad idea I agree, though Immortals are a direct rip off of Ironbreakers but nobody seems to complain about them, but insane chaos dwarfs could be good I think!

Berserkers could just be CDs with exaggerated characteristics, so for the more steampunk or deamonic minded chaos dwarf players you could go down the line that Grimstonefire has with his list entry (I remember seeing really good concept art for those) and for the more fantasy minded players, like myself, mutations could be the way to go.

So as immortals have better armour, berserkers could have gifts from Chaos or Hashut. I’m thinking more of fluff than rules though, will leave that to you guys.

Kera’s mention of ogres got me thinking, what about slave monsters that have gone mad?