[Archive] Best/Greatest/Your Favorite - Star Wars Movie!

Willmark:

1) That was only added when they rereleased the film when the ESB came out.��Or maybe it was RotJ.��Lucas changes his mind so much about those sorts of things, he now denies that there were going to be 9 films despite him saying it on record 20+ years ago.

2)��Seems feasible that many Jedi would be killed, but I bet that more survived than just Yoda and Kenobi.��Most of the jedi we see in the films are the best of the best, not plain run of the mill that makes up the majority.

cornixt
1) could be. I remember him trying to weasel out of the 9 movie statement. Made me laugh to watch him squirm. AFAICR it did say ANH, could be right thou..

2) Don't disagree there, in the RPG and new universe of star wars it is somewhat cannon that vader couldn't and didn't get every single Jedi.

Hashut’s Blessing:

cornixt has answered point one.

As for point two, I meant the jedi council would’ve taken more shots to remove then they did. These are the best of the best and a little kid lasted longer.

Kera: Qui-Gon was the nuts. definitely the epitome of jedi behaviour. Not to mention, he went to the whills and was taught by their shaman how to become a Force ghost and he taught it to Yoda (is actually Yoda’s Force ghost Master!!!).

Hammerhand:

Lucas is full of sh**. Does anybody believe that he had already penned episodes 1,2 &3 when he was directing ANH? Bllcks!

He must have forgot then that R2D2 could fly, which would have been quite handy in the original trilogy as well as his ability to use oil (which does not burn easily) to set fire to metal (which does not burn at all) droids. Must have slipped his mind about the metecloreans causing the force when Kenobi was teaching Luke. He must have so absent mindedly neglected that Anakin was too old for jedi training as a small boy when Kenobi was training Luke as a full grown man. How could he have forgot Qui Gon, when Obi wan told luke that Yoda was his mentor. I don’t even think he had wrote TESB and was planning to stick to Vader betraying and murdering lukes father but changed his mind. It’s funny how Vader can feel that the force is strong in luke when his X- wing is hurtling along the face of the death star, but when his twin sister is 2 feet away he can’t ‘feel the force’ at all. That was because he changed his mind in RotJ after the success of Vader-Gate in TESB.

Did he write all this stuff before? Not a chance. Why did he start at episode 4? Because he wanted to be different. The star wars films were all about being different. Don’t forget, Lucas was fined a large amount of money for not having credits at the beginning of the film for TESB, this was after a warning he got for ANH (which is the first film in cinema history to not have credits before the feature), which he justified by saying the impact of the first few notes of the score was integral to the film. He did all his special effects differently, using new ideas and technology. He probably called it episode 4 to give the appearance of a long running saga, which at the time it wasn’t. Lucas was/is a brilliant man but not without his flaws. He is full of sh*t for one!

Don’t get me wrong, I love star wars. However, it has been documented that of the original 3 films, the most poorly directed and put together film was ANH (as it failed to get a ‘polished’ performance from anybody but alec guinnes and the droids). This was the only film directed by Lucas, who then went on to directed ep. 1,2 &3.

I was excited as anyone when the new films started rolling out, but I came away like a child that woke up to broken toys on christmas. It was a pure money making, merchandise selling abbhorration to the original trilogy and Lucas should hang his head in shame for destroying the beautiful thing he created.

Pyro Stick:

Apparently he has written 7,8 & 9 and has promised not to make the films.

cornixt:

You can buy the books for ep7-9 anyway. I was told they were all a bit crappy so I never bothered with any of the Star Wars books.

torn:

the music was cooler in the older ones, and a bit like like cars starfighters looked cooler in the 80’s than they do now. old ones all the way.

Pyro Stick:

You can buy the books for ep7-9 anyway. I was told they were all a bit crappy so I never bothered with any of the Star Wars books.

cornixt
What are they called? I never bothered reading any of the star wars books apart from 1-6 and one called dark saber which was quite good.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

darksaber was very good as was the rogue/wraith squadron books set after the 4-6 films concerning the rebel attack on coruscant

Doombeard:

my teacher at bournemouth used to work for george lucas at industrial light and magic

my fav is the return of the jedi because its the only one i can remember watching as a kid when it first came out . i used to dream of owning the jetbike which popped apart when you press a button on the front but all i ever managed to get was the young ewok one christmas . still cool though! actually i had the millenium falcon too but my mum threw it out arrrghhh

Kera foehunter:

So how many of you guy got hurt when the retractable light sabre came out

I got a lot of bruises from that toy from my brothers.

Willmark:

When I was a kid we made our own, broom handles are the perfect size. We’d then paint them, add handles abd then proceed to whack the cr*p out of each other.

Xander:

Listening to commentary from George Lucas, he said he wanted to call it STAR WARS, Episode IV, A New Hope. But that FOX and other producers thought it would be too confusing. After the big success of Star Wars, they gave Lucas almost a free reign. Producers always have that kind of say when making a movie, considering A New Hope’s big budget, they had a lot to lose if it flopped.

I like A New Hope the best, for sure. But I don’t really know how I’d rank the rest. I am not as keen as so many others about The Empire Strikes Back. I guess I am a sucker for the Quest cycle, and this one doesn’t fit that motif as well.

The new movies are very well done, and I think everyone involved in them can be proud of what they did. Except of course, George Lucas himself. I thought the overaching story was good, but the writing was awful, which resulted in seemingly bad acting, which combined with worse directing gave the prequels an undertone of amateurish quality.

I quite like the Phantom Menace, I thought Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan combo was excellent. Jar Jar was a sad story, and a wholey unnecessary inclusion. I also felt the Droid Armies were too stupid. They have seemingly better AI than anything we know, yet they are awful soldiers who basically act like police officers when confronting Jedi. How many times in the new films did Droids have the upper hand, and could have easily shot some Jedi, only to tell them to “Freeze” or “Drop your weapons.” You’d think a Droid Army would be programmed to kill.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some of these Edits. :slight_smile: Are they normally torrents?

cornixt:

They are on youtube, but there are torrents out there (just difficult to find)

ashur:

Revenge of the Sith.

Just for Christopher Lee and the koffing robot

Uzkul Werit:

Can’t forget the Lee. :smiley:

AGPO:

The best jedi ever Qui-gon Jinn his teaching and his attitude is truly the teaching of the force

Kera foehunter
I thought they rushed the end of episode three - it was pretty dire. I suspect the "Ninja Yoda" scene was filmed with a bouncy rubber ball and a bit of plastic for the lightsaber

Canix:

Star Wars A new hope :sick was the best film imo the first time when i saw those stormtroopers it piqued my interest.For all its many flaws its clonky script/direction and grainyness is great whereas on the other films it should have been alot more polished.I love ewoks, bite your enemies in the kneecaps ,great tactic:hat

cornixt:

I think the best bit is when they are waiting for the lift/elevator - five seconds of awkward silence that would never be in any of the other films. it is just so natural and real

Vintagephreak:

Man, I dunno why everyone liked Revenge of the Sith so much.��I thought it was god-awful!��Well, all of the prequels were bad, really - although they had their moments.��RotS was definitely the best of the new ones, I admit.��Here is why the new ones were bad imho (this post became longer than I intended, sorry):

1) The acting.��Hayden Christensen isn't Darth Vader.��He's a whiny idiot.��The line, and how it was delivered, "In MY opinion, it is the Jedi who are evil" says it all.��Yes, good point, Hayden.��You have succeeded in sounding not like the crazy hate-filled tragic hero that we wanted, but a pissed off teenager who's dad won't give him an advance on his allowance.��Now to be fair, the writing is part of the problem too (to be discussed below) but still - Hayden=terrible.��(The exception to this is the scene in which Obi-wan leaves Anakin to die in the lava, which WAS appropriately hate-filled, and desperate, and I definitely approved).��Also, kid Anakin is the worst actor in the history of the galaxy.��And it didn't make any sense why he was EIGHT and yet Natalie Portman was somehow inexplicably a love interest.��Natalie Portman also puts in a very bad show, she can do better so that is disappointing.��Attack of the Clones was okay as long as no one was talking.

2) The writing.��George Lucas is the worst writer known to man or beast.��"I've been dying a little bit more each day since we've been together again." UGH.��"I hate the sand.��It's course and it gets everywhere.��Not like here, where it's soft and smooth" while I stroke your arm in my most feeble and obvious attempts to be flirtatious.��Vomitous!��George Lucas' dialogue proves that he has never had a real romantic relationship since he was fifteen.��And since I am unaware of his marital status, I can only assume that he is sad and alone and thinks his "love stories" are tragic and moving cuz he doesnt know any better. (Ok, I'm being facetious here, but seriously the dialogue is really bad).��Also, when whatisname Sam Jackson was going to kill the Emperor, why did he have to swing his lightsaber backwards?��Isn't it a laser sword?��I didnt realize he needed momentum to cut through flesh.��All that was was an excuse for a dramatic intervention on the part of Anakin, which is stupid.��There should have been a dramatic intervention that did not depend on something that did not make any sense.��Except the George ain't a very good writer.

Now, as for BEST movies, obviously Empire Strikes Back is the best.��But, I still think Return of the Jedi comes in a close second - yes, the ewoks were terrible.��But, the final confrontation between Luke and Vader still gives me chills: the music, the fight choreography (minimalist!! no computer animation!!), how it's lit only by their lightsabers (really awesome), the cold and sterile environment, all add up to what is in my opinion one of the best climaxes ever.��Notice that the two best star wars movies were not directed or had screenplays written by George Lucas.��Hmm.....

Khan!
Thanks for voicing the opinion shared by so many, myself included: prequels O - original trilogy 1. Also, Jedi has an undeservedly bad reputation even though Empire eclipses all the others. Jedi truly gives me the chills toward the end- duel, Vader's redemption fantastic music and no CGI as you said. Truly magic! And the space battle, oh the space battle...
Regarding crappy Hayden Christensen, I couldn't agree more, we should be treated to a prequel special edition where he's digitally removed and a proper actor with something at least approaching a broad emotional range put in his stead. So for me it's Empire, Jedi then A new hope.

Martin