[Archive] Best Lore of Magic for Chaos Dwarfs?

Da Crusha:

so which lore of magic do you guys think is the best for Cd’s? now that we have to choose the lore before the battle it is imperative we know what can be most effective for an all-comer’s list.

Joshmohr:

Well, i haven’t played FS in a while, But last i played, I liked lore of metal. It just played out well for me.

Kered:

I think over all lore of shadow is the best against all comers, reducing stats is good against all army wether they be shooty or close combat. Okkam’s Mindrazor is very good because of are high ld infantry.On top of that it also has a few good spells to do actual damage though not as many as other laws.

Da Crusha:

shadow is pretty nice altering statlines and such. I would really like to use The Withering to lower toughness and then splat it with a few deathrocket shots :mad.

Lore of death brought me in first for the purple sun and the life leeching ability. unfortunately I rolled The caress, soulblight and spirit leech. and then I realized that the lore doesnt have a lot of killing power besides sniping and the purple sun.

I think I really like the Lore of fire best, it can do massive amounts of damage. the only problem I have is I wanted to paint my marauder mage in a non-fire paint scheme since I already have a fire wizard.

have you thought about using multiple lores in an army? I was thinking about Lore of fire and shadow :idea

Border Reiver:

Metal really works well against armies with high armour saves - Chaos Warriors, Dwarfs and Bretonnia I’m looking at you. The armour save s the rooll to damage just makes the “Oh look at me! I’m a chaos knight with a 1+ armour save!” go "Oh crap, what do you need to take out my unit again?"

Fire - good basic lore lots of damage capability - and it can cause an opponent to have to think "Do I want my entire unit to charge out of the Fire Trap and have every model in the unit take a S4 hit?

Shadow is definitely good - I prefer the Miasma and the other characteristic affecting spells to Mindrazor. Much easier to get off, even buffed, and the sudden loss of characteristics can really give someone pause.

I haven’t played with Death yet, so I’m not going to comment - yet.

cornixt:

It’s interesting that the lore is now chosen as part of the army list, rather than being something you could change at the last minute.

Border Reiver:

All my wizards choose their lore right after I find out what my opponent is bringing to the table. I generally keep to one lore for my army and don’t sweat which wizard model is on the table - I have 3 on foot and the lammasu riding lord so switching up isn’t an issue, especially as none of them are painted in such a way to suggest they would be using a particular lore, although the Astrogoth conversion looks like he’d really like to use Metal.

Da Crusha:

I think I should consider Lore of metal a bit more, but the biggest reason I dont like it is it can be pretty ineffective against low armoured troops.

It’s interesting that the lore is now chosen as part of the army list, rather than being something you could change at the last minute.

cornixt
yeah I always thought it should be this way, it makes more sense fluffwise. If you bring a fire wizard to battle he shouldn’t be able to spontaneously learn shadow magic.

saurus:

All my wizards choose their lore right after I find out what my opponent is bringing to the table. 

Border Reiver
On page 490 of the rulebook it states "When you chose your army you should have selected the lores of magic each of your wizards is going to use. (if you havent, shame on you! Go back, choose now, and remember to do it properly next game."

I am pretty sure what your doing is against the spirit of the game, and well, not even pretty much, it really is cheating.

Baggronor:

Lore of death brought me in first for the purple sun and the life leeching ability. unfortunately I rolled The caress, soulblight and spirit leech. and then I realized that the lore doesnt have a lot of killing power besides sniping and the purple sun.
Not to mention that if you roll a misfire for Purple Sun, it centres on the caster and CDs aren't famous for their high Initiative ;)

Da Crusha:

Not to mention that if you roll a misfire for Purple Sun, it centres on the caster and CDs aren't famous for their high Initiative ;)

Baggronor
:sick the game would be over if that would happen, maybe I should stay away from the lore actually. most of the entire army is extremely susceptible to purple sun.

elrodogg:

Life and Death are probably the two strongest lores around now. I’ve used death to great effect. Given how random the magic phase is now in terms of getting dice via the winds of magic, and that chaos dwarfs don’t have access to much in terms of items that grant additional dice, it’s pretty darn effective. doom and darkness is brutal coupled with the hellcannon (i use the indy gt list). the sniper spells are great, since outside of bull centaur characters, lots of monsters or heroes can beat up our characters. as for the purple sun, it’s a dual edged sword. if the lvl 4 is in a unit, he gets a LOS roll. plus, he should be bunkered in hobgobbos or rabble anyhow, so who cares?

Fire is mediocre. The basic fireball is the best spell in the lore, but the rest of the lore is sorta meh.

Metal is kinda blah. I play against lots of elves and undead, so there usually isn’t much that has good armor saves. If you see lots of WoC, Dwarfs and Brets then YMMV.

Shadow is decent, but I just don’t see it being better than death.

Thommy H:

All my wizards choose their lore right after I find out what my opponent is bringing to the table.
Do you pick your list at the same time? Because that's when you should be picking your Lores. Doing it right there and then is the same thing as swapping magic items between characters during deployment.

Border Reiver:

Gonna have to reread the rules.

Border Reiver:

Alrighty, missed that part of the rules where the lore is selected at the same time as army is selected.

richard barby:

Alrighty, missed that part of the rules where the lore is selected at the same time as army is selected.

Border Reiver
i really hate that part of the rules its about the only part of the rules changes i dont like

Gar Shadowfame:

I have read through all lores, especialy CD ones, and tournament wise i’d advise death. (for INDY list)

Several bullet points:

-CD army has means to kill lots of weak troops, deathrockets and shakers + blunderbusses

-CD can be competitive in close combat

-death magic has a chnce to generate power dices

-so high priest and 2 demonsmith (smith taking signature spell), at the point u have 8 dices or less smiths use their boundspells on characters, champions, monsters (aka stegadon, war hydra), multiwound units (ogre minotaurs) in this priority order.(although if enemy characters have Ld 10 and monsters 6(like stegadon) its better to kill stegadonfirst)

-if they are sucefsul u have a possibility to get ur pd back, for highpriest to use.

This sniping tactics offers good chance of tossing more spells than any other army, sniping spells are extremly good to take out large targets with lots of wounds that 8ed shooting cant, so warmachines can focus on blocks of troops.

elrodogg:

Border Reiver
i really hate that part of the rules its about the only part of the rules changes i dont like

richard barby
I have to disagree with you on that one. To a large degree, it tones down magic (which in this edition is uber to begin with).

Gar Shadowfame:

Its only usable on tournaments, its hardly possible to tone down magic if u know ur enemy in advance in set up game with a mate etc.

cornixt:

It’s pretty easy to declare before a game which lores will be used when you see what army you are facing, just as you could always swap rosters before to give yourself a slightly different army (I would sometimes swap a unit of Orcs with a basic sorcerer). At least in a tournament it will stop people switching from Metal to Life as if the wizard is some kind of Dollhouse doll who can reprogram his magic training between games.

So I don’t see it as a big deal for most games, but you can’t wait until the first turn to decide.