[Archive] Big hat iron daemon crew conversion

Zanthrax:

Ok thanks to my Dremel I have a spare big hat from a lucky plastic big hat.

Is the hat too big (I can’t believe I just wrote that!) for this dude?

Nicodemus:

It needs to be tapered more. If you put in a brass rod to give yourself a little space, maybe just 1 mm or so and then fill in the inbetween space with GS and give it a rim at the bottom you’re in business. Alternatively, the tall hat with the skull on it that comes with the current Empire plastic wizards kit would fit perfectly… in that case you just have to remove the human face and head and then excavate a little extra space for the CD head to fit.

… I think if you taper the Big Hat, however, you should give youself a tiny bit of room to accommodate the horns with just a couple of raised indentations in the rim of the hat… that way it’ll look like it’s made to be worn by horned CDs :hat off

~N

frogbear:

No Hat is ever too Big

The problem is when it is too small as then the CD has little social stature (excuse the pun)

So

"Damn no! That Hat ain’t too big. It ain’t big enough!" :smiley:

Bassman:

I think the plastic big hat is a bad choice: it’s too large. Plastic 5th edition big hats are clearly oversized, if place them next to the metal ones you understand.

I sugget you to use a metal one or… sculpt yours version! :slight_smile:

Abecedar:

sorry but its toooo big for his poor little head

Nicodemus:

If you remove the spike and taper the bottom even a v. tiny bit it’ll work. Bas is right though the plastic big hat warriors were oversized compared with their contemporary metal counterparts.

The plastic big hats worked well on my Infernal Guard -> Castellan conversions

edit Although I guess the transition between head size and hat size is hidden a little with eyebrow size :wink:

gIL^:

I think it’s to big personally. Though i think the limited edition daemonsmith hat would be perfect, Though i don’t suggest to start chopping one of them up :smiley:

GRNDL:

I don’t think its too big, but it does need to be a bit further down his head. The horns are making it ride rather high, so it looks like its toppling off. Perhaps cut the horns, reposition the hat, then sculpt the horns as if they are coming through the hat, or the hat is modified to allow the horns to poke through.

Zanthrax:

Thanks everyone some great ideas there- will see what I can do.

Thanks again brothers.

Zanthrax

gIL^:

I don't think its too big, but it does need to be a bit further down his head. The horns are making it ride rather high, so it looks like its toppling off.  Perhaps cut the horns, reposition the hat, then sculpt the horns as if they are coming through the hat, or the hat is modified to allow the horns to poke through.

GRNDL
Yes try that.

Kera foehunter:

I have to agree with Grndl this time ( only )