[Archive] Bjorni's Corrupted Dwarfs

wallacer:

what is dip? i dont get it do you mean you dip them in varnish?

iamahobgoblin
He is referring to a polyurethane based shading liquid, like you would use to stain a fence or decking.��It flows into the cracks of a miniature and gives "shading" to it.
Something along the lines of this:
http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/guide/page_07.asp

Leadblecher:

I currently have some dwarfs done up the same way, corrupted and all, and I wouldn’t mind getting rid of them as I never use them. I have 2x 20 man GW and shield, 1x20 man crossbows, 1x20 Miners, 1x 20 Longbeards, an old flame cannon conversion, original [/quote]earthshaker, bolt thrower and original death rocket. Are you interested? If not, it’ll goon ebay fairly soon.

Bjorni:

Sorry Leadbelcher, I don’t do second hand models, prefer to build my own.

Good luck on ebay.

Doombeard:

woah that stuff is weird . wouldnt a watered down ink or paint do the same effect?

wallacer:

woah that stuff is weird . wouldnt a watered down ink or paint do the same effect?

iamahobgoblin
It would, except that you would need different colours for different areas.
The point of dipping is that you paint the base colours on and then the dip shades the whole figure, irrespective of the base colour (it is basically a lazy man's way of painting).
The polyurethane dipping liquid also serves to varnish the figure, so it even saves time on that.

I've used dipping before. It works well on some things (undead, Dryads, clothing, armour) and less well on other things.
Just personal preference, really.

AGPO:

Dipping is largely used as a technique for those armies which include thousands nof core troops which would be a chore to paint, you know, like goblins, skaven, guard and tyranids to name a few. Only trouble is if you don’t dip your showpiece figures the different method stands out - its up to you really. But when you have a single dull colour scheme then dipping is fantastic (I used it on my nids and it saved me hours